Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #1

Mattress thread...again

I'm pretty disappointed in the Sealey mattress in our fairly new TT. I think we spent less than 20 nights in the camper and the mattress looks like a canoe. I'm not going to deal with a warranty claim to settle for another horrible mattress.

I've been looking at foam mattress under $250 and found a 10" Lucid for $200 from Walmart and some 8" units for the same price. A few people recommend the Zinus 10" but their short queen seems to be in short supply and $100 more over their 8". Is an 8" mattress adequate for us (220 lbs me and the DW who is lighter) or should I stick with a 10"?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #2

For us, the 10” Zinus was right because 1) it was firm enough. The 8” too firm and 2) sheets fit better on the 10”.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #3

I’m sure I’ll be dealing with this too. I have a 2” latex topper, but I suspect it won’t be enough for that mattress. Of course my mattress hangs off the back end of the motorhome so I don’t want something that weighs 60-70 pounds either.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I’m sure I’ll be dealing with this too. I have a 2” latex topper, but I suspect it won’t be enough for that mattress. Of course my mattress hangs off the back end of the motorhome so I don’t want something that weighs 60-70 pounds either.
After spending the first trip on ours, and the mattress feeling like sleeping on plywood, we put a 3" memory foam topper on it, and it's been a lot better.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #5

we put a memory foam topper on ours and still rolled to the middle. The edge broke down the first time I sat on it.
Go with the 10 inch zinus. Anything less will not hold you up in the long run.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #6

One night was too many on stock mattress...

After the first night on the stock mattress, the DW and I both knew it had to go . We bought the Zinus 8" and have zero regrets. We thought about the 10", but decided it wouldn't be worth the extra money. As to the sheets fitting better, yeah, probably, but we hooked two sheet garters on and we are good to go with the 8". Sleeps great!
cpjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #7

You may know this already, but we installed the Zinus 10" short queen. DW liked it but thought it a little firm, so I added a topper; 2" or 3" I can't remember. It was a Zinus too. Now it's just right.

If you go with the 8", you can always try it out and add a topper to give it a bit more of a plush feel.

We installed another one in our S&B master, so now we have all Zinus everywhere. We put a latex topper on the one in the master, and we like it so far.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:08 AM   #8

Sleep Number for us. Tried several mattress/topper combos but none came close to our home SleepNumber. Threw in the towel & spent the money.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #9

Anybody have mold issues under their foam mattress? Since we predominantly put the mattress on a plywood base, there is no air movement under the mattress. I’m wondering about the moisture possibility and the formation of mold, especially those whose bed is on a slide out. .

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Anybody have mold issues under their foam mattress? Since we predominantly put the mattress on a plywood base, there is no air movement under the mattress. I’m wondering about the moisture possibility and the formation of mold, especially those whose bed is on a slide out. .
Haven't noticed any so far. I think the mattress had been there for a while before I had to lift it up to do some work on the water pump. I made sure to look specifically for mold when I did that.

I also put some insulation on the bottom of the bed platform. Nothing too major (or really all that effective). I attached some Reflectix I had laying around to the bottom of the platform to mitigate temp delta.

The reason I say "not all that effective" is that there are gaps all over down there. It would have been MUCH more effective if I had used 1" block foam insulation glued to the platform and made some efforts to close up some of the gaps between the platform and the storage compartment. But I was just launching an initial salvo against heat gain in the area. I'll get back into it some day...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Sleep Number for us. Tried several mattress/topper combos but none came close to our home SleepNumber. Threw in the towel & spent the money.
Thanks for sharing. We're considering one for our RV as well. Would you be willing to share which model of SN you went with and why? Making this large of an investment (for both home and RV), we want to make sure we get as much information as possible before doing so.
tjndsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
Thanks for sharing. We're considering one for our RV as well. Would you be willing to share which model of SN you went with and why? Making this large of an investment (for both home and RV), we want to make sure we get as much information as possible before doing so.
Did you purchase a sleep number? We're also looking to invest in one and wondering the same thing as you. Did you install it yourself or had someone install it for you?

Thanks
Ckallen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #13
CAG

A very recent thread with lots of info:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ble-76086.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:56 PM   #14

Last year I bought a super duper mattress for the house. It cost 3 grand and it is really nice.

Our (what y'all call) a cheepie Jayco mattress was equipped with a 2" foam topper last year. Its nice too.

At home I sleep so-so and have heartburn every night. I usually wake up at 5 or 6 am. At camp I sleep like a baby and we both don't wake up till 9 AM. No heartburn.

Maybe it's just the relaxation of being in the woods. But it sure isn't because of the mattress.

I just don't see the problem. Maybe y'all should take some xanax before bed.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:43 AM   #15

We put the 10" Lucid gel memory foam mattress in last fall and absolutely love it. Well worth the cost imo.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckallen68 View Post
Did you purchase a sleep number? We're also looking to invest in one and wondering the same thing as you. Did you install it yourself or had someone install it for you?

Thanks
We have not yet purchased one but did visit one of the stores. We left there with a quote for two mattresses (one for the RV and a slightly upgraded version for home), one box spring (for home. They were offering free delivery for both mattresses with this purchase. Delivery cost otherwise is almost the same price for it so we figured it'd be better to have something to show for it), two remotes, and a cool memory foam pad for the rv that DH liked right around $3800 including tax.
tjndsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress