Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #21

I don't use rubber gloves, I wash my hands with soap when done. heck I am beginning to wonder if people use rubber gloves after they do #2
Old 02-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #22

I also use the disposable gloves keep them in the trailer. plus my rubber boots

ok WHY can I not get the icons to work
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 038.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #23

Rubber chemical gloves. Very heavy duty and will not tear. Easy on and off, too. $6.98 a pair at Lowes Home Improvement stores.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
Old 02-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

The large gloves are available at most grocery, Walmart etc. I bought some from CW that were in a stick on dispenser and I just keep refilling it.

Exactly what I use. Easy and cheap

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Old 02-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #25

Disposable from Harbor Freight. Descent quality and come in different sizes.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 02-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #26

I also buy my gloves at Harbor Freight. The black ones are very heavy duty and fit my extra large paws. I use them for sewer connect/disconnect and also when working with automobile refinishing chemicals. Worth the price.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #27

We use the disposable, blue nitrile gloves bought in bulk from Costco.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #28

Soap and water works fine.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #29

I carry disposable nitrile gloves in the TT for that purpose...
Old 02-02-2016, 12:07 AM   #30

Those of you who use re-usable rubber gloves...
Where do you store them?
How do you clean them?
How do you keep the insides from being contaminated while in storage?
How do you keep your hands from getting germs on them as you put them on?
Just wondering. I'd like to hear what users actually do and have to say about it.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:02 AM   #31

Only use gloves (leather) for the fire. That's about it. I'm at the point that I stay pretty darn clean throughout the process. If done correctly, you shouldn't really need gloves. And with the black water wash attachment, it's even a cleaner process. Take your time, do it right, and there won't be a mess.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 AM   #32

Agree if done right, gloves shouldn't be needed. When I do feel a need for a little extra coverage, I use a roll of pet waste bags (poop bags). Cheap, easy to keep a roll available, sturdy, and we always have them anyway since we travel with dogs. Heck they even come in pretty colors if you desire!
Old 02-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #33

I, also, use disposable vinyl gloves. I pick them up in 100-packs at HD or Walmart paint dept. I keep them in the drivers' side back door pocket of the truck. Also keep a container of disinfecting wipes in the door pocket cup holder, and use them to wipe off the hands, wrists and forearms after removing & disposing of the gloves.

I once had a piece of TP caught on the black tank valve, that prevented it from closing tightly. It would leak a little stuff into the drain pipe, which (of course) drained out all over when I opened the cap. After a couple of spills, I started putting a bucket under the drain before I opened the cap. On one occasion, it actually filled the 2 gal. bucket! After a couple months, the paper finally dissolved, and the gate valve now closes completely, again. Point is, I learned the hard way!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #34

Surgical gloves for me too. I also use Clorox wipes on the CG faucet before hooking up as you never know what's on there. I try not to touch anything while dumping, but wipe everything down with a wipe afterwards anyway. A good hand washing is the last part of the process.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Those of you who use re-usable rubber gloves...
Where do you store them?
How do you clean them?
How do you keep the insides from being contaminated while in storage?
How do you keep your hands from getting germs on them as you put them on?
Just wondering. I'd like to hear what users actually do and have to say about it.
For those very reasons is why I use the disposable nitrile gloves. 50 pairs in a box. Cheap at Costco....
Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
For those very reasons is why I use the disposable nitrile gloves. 50 pairs in a box. Cheap at Costco....
Saw a guy once with reusable gloves.. After he dumped he put his hand in is pocket and grabbed his keys (with his gloves still on) and put them in the ignition. Then he took them off and threw them into the cab of his truck..

As far as using no gloves and then using soap.. Isn't that like closing the barn door after the horse got out?? If you have any cuts, scrapes, etc.. Your risking infection as soon as the fecal matter hit your hands...

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express so I am an expert in these matters you know..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #37

The only real benefit to gloves is to protect if you have open cuts. Telling is that my old restaurant health inspector was very against the use of gloves when preparing food (as was his whole department)! He/they recognized the public perception part, but produced copious scientific documentation that wearing gloves produced more food contamination problems, not less. Why? With gloves, your hands never feel "icky", so you are more prone to touch a lot of things with them on, that you wouldn't otherwise. Watch in the next fast food place as workers adjust their hats, push down full garbage, pick up dirty towels, grab dirty handles, etc. that they would never do if using bare hands - and then go back to making your food. Only in the best places do they change gloves super often. With bare hands, most people will wash more (or clean the dirty thing) as they get stuff on their hands. But perception is that gloves are cleaner.

Same goes for us and our RV's - with gloves your hands don't detect that you touch something wet/icky, so you go about touching latches, knobs, hoses, etc. that you may not have touched without getting the "ick" off first. And later someone comes back and touchs some of those things with bare hands, transferring the bugs that shouldn't have been deposited there in the first place if you had washed!

So at minimum, use lots of hand sanitizer, until you can get to soap and water. Even better, set up a small soap and water "handwash station" to use frequently as you are working - and running water is better than a pail, if at all possible. Hand sanitizer is ineffective on most viruses, but flushing with soap/water works well for everything!

Of course, gloves can keep your own personal "ick" factor in check, but make sure you are constantly aware of everything you touch while wearing them. Either change right after touching the dirty thing, or at least wash your hands with the gloves on as you would with bare hands before moving on!

(Yep, disposable gloves were one of my higher expenses in my restaurants, but since the public demanded seeing them, we had to do it right!)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #38

Why are so many people getting the "icky" on their hands? When I'm doing my sewage stuff, I don't touch anything that touches the "icky". Not the inside of the valve, not the inside of the hose, not the inside of the sewer outlet. I rinse my tanks at least once (even if I'm at a dump station) which then includes rinsing all the "icky" too. Then I rinse all the "stuff" and wash hand immediately after. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, wash hands immediately.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Why are so many people getting the "icky" on their hands? When I'm doing my sewage stuff, I don't touch anything that touches the "icky". Not the inside of the valve, not the inside of the hose, not the inside of the sewer outlet. I rinse my tanks at least once (even if I'm at a dump station) which then includes rinsing all the "icky" too. Then I rinse all the "stuff" and wash hand immediately after. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, wash hands immediately.

Ohhhhhh..are you supposed to wash your hands? That answers why all my food tastes like pistachio nuts!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Ohhhhhh..are you supposed to wash your hands? That answers why all my food tastes like pistachio nuts!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Closed Thread

Tags
gloves, sewer