Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

Men's gloves?

If this has been discussed ad nauseum, I apologize. I searched and couldn't find it. For the sewer hoses, etc, do you men use sturdy rubber gloves, throw away rubber gloves, leather, or what? If rubber, where do I get a pair large enough for my DH? I have my rubber gloves for when my turn rolls around, but Winco doesn't carry men's sizes in the kitchen section. (Shock!) What do you guys prefer?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
Old 02-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

I keep a box of disposal surgical gloves in the camper.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

I don't bother with gloves anymore. DW stands at the ready with good disinfectant wipes for when I'm done. I mean, unless the hose explodes, I can keep things pretty clean and dry. You probably pick up more bacteria exchanging cash than you do dumping your own pooper. LOL
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Old 02-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp877 View Post
I keep a box of disposal surgical gloves in the camper.
X2 ... and I use disposable wipes to wipe my arms and hands after removing the gloves. I'm not a germaphobe in other respects, just don't want to ruin my camping experience if I can prevent it.

Off topic: I also have a diluted bleach solution in a spray bottle to spray the CG water spigot and handle before I connect to it. I try not to introduce something into my FW if I can avoid it. I've seen other campers, bare handed, spraying off their sewer connectors etc. using the FW spigot.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
I don't bother with gloves anymore. DW stands at the ready with good disinfectant wipes for when I'm done. I mean, unless the hose explodes, I can keep things pretty clean and dry. You probably pick up more bacteria exchanging cash than you do dumping your own pooper. LOL
+1 on this. I've rarely been messy enough to get anything "questionable" on my hands, and I wash thoroughly after. I keep soap in the compartment with my hoses and use the outside shower to wash up.

But I still keep a box of Nitrile gloves in my storage compartment with my tools for various purposes.

Harbor Freight has a good selection. I have average sized hands, and I use X-large and have a good amount of space; they're not tight. I also use the 5 mil ones (I think), but HF has different ones that go up to more than 9 mils thick and various sizes. And most times, you can't beat the price; you're going to throw them away after using them for 5 minutes anyway...

5 mil Nitrile Powder-Free Gloves 100 Pc X-Large

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

Disposable gloves here. cheap, easy and you'd be surprised where germs and fecal matter linger at a dump station. People will dump and then grab the public water flush hose, valves, etc. etc.. I don't want MY poop on my hands let alone someone else's...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

Box of disposable gloves for me. They come in handy for a few things when camping.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 02-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by navymommy View Post
If this has been discussed ad nauseum, I apologize. I searched and couldn't find it. For the sewer hoses, etc, do you men use sturdy rubber gloves, throw away rubber gloves, leather, or what? If rubber, where do I get a pair large enough for my DH? I have my rubber gloves for when my turn rolls around, but Winco doesn't carry men's sizes in the kitchen section. (Shock!) What do you guys prefer?
Disposable gloves.
You can get a box (looks like a tissue box) of 100 latex gloves at Harbor Freight for a couple of bucks. Nitrile gloves are a bit more -100 for around $8.

You don't really want good, re-usable rubber gloves because they would present the same problem as your stinky slinky. They get contaminated and then you have to store them somewhere, and then when you handle them, you are getting it on your hands just putting those gloves back on. I'm not really that much of a germ-o-phobe, but you are probably better off not wearing any gloves than reusable ones. Just wash your hands good with disinfecting wipes, afterwards.

I've done it both ways. With throwaway gloves and without any gloves, but always have my wife hand me a couple of disinfecting wipes before getting back into the tow vehicle.

But then again, there are some people that save their toilet paper in a basket next to their toilet, rather than tossing it in the BW tank. And they haven't died yet, (that I know of). So ultimately it is what you and your passengers are comfortable with.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Disposable gloves and hand sanitizer in the utility hatch. I throw them away with each use. If you ever get a stomach bug from fecal matter you will quickly become a believer. BTW, you can't see germs.

The large gloves are available at most grocery, Walmart etc. I bought some from CW that were in a stick on dispenser and I just keep refilling it.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 02-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #10

I bought a box of disposable gloves from Harbor Freight. The really thick ones. It only takes one "oops" before you regret not having them. And by then, it's too late. I haven't had that "oops", yet. But I'm sure it's coming.

Closed Thread

Tags
gloves, sewer