Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Mercedes performance chip

Mercedes performance chip. I recently bought a Jayco Melbourne 24L with the Mercedes diesel. My question is has anybody installed a performance plug and play chip for their Mercedes diesel motor. I see a lot of these will increase the horsepower and also gas mileage. Please let me know if you’ve done this and what your experience with it. Thank you Bear
Btegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:49 AM   #2

https://www.mercedesmedic.com/merced...s-mods/#Tuning

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #3

I have used chips in the gas world. However, do due diligence on the diesel question. Because of the nature of the soot there's a lot more vigilance with diesel. You may have difficulties passing emissions for license plates in your state - but it may depend on where you live too. Just saying. If it's not a total "defeat" chip that eliminates the pollution safeguards you may pass muster.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #4
CAG

I have posted this point before but here it is again.

This question comes up/came up often with the Duramax. My conversation with one of the designers/owners of a company that does high end tunes for that engine told me that the engineers for these vehicles design them so that you get the most out of them with the least possibility of doing damage to the engine. Even a moderate tune takes some of the long term life from an engine. It does some damage, however slight. You may gain a few horsepower and torque. Most will tell you that the fuel mileage is a myth but the overall gain will shorten the life of the engine.

In the case of the Duramax, even though the Allison is bullet proof, they always suggested beefing the transmission if you were going for major HP gains.

So it is buyer beware.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote