Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #21

Lived in my unit for 8 months in Clearwater. Summer with both AC units park electric was right at $200 per month during summer. In a hot climate ur ac will run almost non stop to cool these non insulated beasts.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #22

In Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterarcher View Post
We are considering going full-time. Many of the campgrounds offer either monthly or seasonal rates. The rates are plus electric. What would be the average cost for electric be for normal camping?

Thanks!
Sorry I'm late for the party...my adult son has been living in my 2018 Jayfeather 23RL since August. In the last three months his electric consumption skyrocketed because "I don't want to pollute with fossil fuel" (which is most likely made by burning coal or natural gas) instead of using propane for heat. The 5kw heat strip in the ducted system runs all the time. He racked up bills of $120 in November, $167 in December and $193 in January. Day before yesterday I opened the TT up and found heat set to 74 degrees. It was 27 degrees outside. Nice and toasty warm, but expensive. You gotta control the urge to make it balmy.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #23

One more thing...

Quote:
We are considering going full-time. Many of the campgrounds offer either monthly or seasonal rates. The rates are plus electric. What would be the average cost for electric be for normal camping?

Thanks!

I own/operate an RV site in Perryton, Tx. In 2013 when we first opened, I had tenants pay from the Xcel Energy bill I received at the end of the month. The outfit that put in the Balko (Oklahoma) wind farm took up the whole place, Had a 38 ft converted toy hauler in one spot occupied 7 days by the emergency service team. Their light bill ran about $50-70 a month and they moved a 100 gallon propane tank in. Don't know exactly when they refilled it, but heat with propane is cheaper. Had another tenant in a 10 or so year old tt, he used only space heaters and was as high as $155 one month. Most of the time around $100 summer and winter. Third site is still occupied by my 2002 Cherokee 5th wheel. The electrical engineers for the project occupied it continuously for 2 plus years and often ran $150 electric bills one or two months during summer and winter. All the units were skirted and Pirit water hoses installed. My 5r also had to have a space heater under it to keep tanks and hoses from freezing below 20 degrees. It just depends how long one leaves the heat/lights on.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #24

Quote:

Thanks!
my husband and I have been seasonals at Riverbank campground in Leeds mean our electricity bill runs anywhere from $60-$75 a month. With the AC running most of the time in July and August. We also have three refrigerators our RV refrigerator inside which also runs on propane mall outside kitchen refrigerator but we have a medium size fridge outside. I was told That RV refrigerators are expensive to run on electric that’s where most of your class is coming from.
Wezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #25

Electric

We are full time and our electric runs on average $65 per month. Currently at Carolina Pines and for $600 electric is included.
maxdonport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #26

We stay in Wilmington, NC. Electric is .12 KWH. On average we pay $103.00 a month. We average about 860 KW a month. We have the frig and water heater on electric and use our fireplace sometimes as well. We also have a washer/dryer that is electric.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #27

In southern California we averaged between $200 and $250 per month in electricity. We did run the AC a lot because it was hot and we had to keep the temp down for our chinchilla. In the winter we average between $100 and $150.
Cujonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #28

Electric cost

Quote:

Thanks!
Just spent 30 days in Georgetown Tx. Electric was 11.8 cents per kWh. Total cost was $68 running fireplace and a space heater during the day.
Armycamper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #29

Wife and I have been full time in Southern Oregon for 2 ½ years at a park here. Our electric in a 2017 Jayco Designer with residential fridge, electric water on all the time, heat mostly with propane. We turn the heater off at night and use propane to warm up the place in the morning. Have a good down comforter. Our electric runs around $65 to $75 a month year round.
The Gordens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:52 PM   #30

Dancing Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I can't answer for sure, but I would think it depends on your individual usage while there. It sounds like you're going to be full time while at the campground, so it would be a bit more than if you just went there on weekends. I'm sure someone who does the same as you will chime in.
I full time staying in a RV resort for the winter. Just got my bill for January this morning. Was $61.60. Just one person and my dog in a 35’ Seneca.

Hope that helps
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #31

Electric Cost

The Kwh rate varies at each campground/resort. We have paid $.09/kwh in NC where you have both AC's running in the summer and the monthly electric ran about $100/month. We are currently in FL paying $.17/kwh and with both AC's running constantly it is around $175/$200 a month. I have been told several times the campgrounds cannot make money off the electric. They have to charge what they are charged. As stated, make sure to ask before signing.
kliney1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #32

In Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliney1016 View Post
. I have been told several times the campgrounds cannot make money off the electric. They have to charge what they are charged.

As a metered campsite owner and having notified Xcel Energy of intent, they provided me with "literature" advising THEY are the utility, THEY set the rate and any "additional rate upcharging of their rates" would violate their agreement with Texas Utilities Commission who in turn could investigate my lack of standing with said State Commission. Lawyer confirmed.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #33

I live in Colorado, for now, full time and am hooked up through the park I'm at. It has been more than I expected. Average $100/mo for electrical and $75/mo for 100lb propane tank. This is with a polar pkg. no skirt (which would help, I'm sure), small space heater at my feet and thermostat at 67. Thank goodness for our beautiful sunshiny days!!
TBrad9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
It depends on what metering setup the campground has.
If the site is "submetered", meaning the meter is installed after the electric utility company campground meter, the campground owner owns the meter and can charge whatever they want (or not charge at all).
If it's an electric utility company meter, you would need to contact the electric utility and inquire about their rate structure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
As a metered campsite owner and having notified Xcel Energy of intent, they provided me with "literature" advising THEY are the utility, THEY set the rate and any "additional rate upcharging of their rates" would violate their agreement with Texas Utilities Commission who in turn could investigate my lack of standing with said State Commission. Lawyer confirmed.
Sounds like your campsites are metered directly from the electric utility, not sub-metered after a campground meter setup. Most states PUCs/PSCs set rules similar to what you are experiencing in Texas.
I'm a Field Engineer with our local electric utility. I know just enough about the metering regulations to be dangerous...
Oddly enough, last Thursday my employer dumped a new project in my lap. A local campground is doing a major utilities upgrade and will be adding a bunch of utility metered 50 Amp sites for their seasonal camping customers.
Of course this upgrade will also require about 2 miles of the utility distribution conductor to also be upgraded; with numerous utility pole changeouts. Let the fun commence.
Note: those customers will have to contact the utility directly for billing.
No different than someone that rents/leases an apartment unit.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #35

Metered electric

We’re in FL 3 months, Jan-Mar, our electric runs between $85 - $120. I photograph our meter on meter reading days. I feel it keeps everyone honest. We’re not dealing with the electric company, only the Campground.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
Every state is different and CG's can also be different. Some CG add a service charge to read the meters since they pay the master bill and they also own the individual meters, not the utility company.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #37

Sounds like the answer really depends on who is charging you and how it charged... Power compnay VS campground and if it is pass through rates or "Made up rates"

Side note: I know in some states only the power company can charge based on usage, EV car charges have this issue, so they bill based on time. usually unfair to the car owner.
I suspect RV places maybe not follow this rule very well.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
All depends on the area and the utility company rates as well as your usage. My experience has been normally less than $100 a month.

We have only been in 2 but both were at or a little over $100. Not bad the space was $400 a month so over all not bad.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezee View Post
my husband and I have been seasonals at Riverbank campground in Leeds mean our electricity bill runs anywhere from $60-$75 a month. With the AC running most of the time in July and August. We also have three refrigerators our RV refrigerator inside which also runs on propane mall outside kitchen refrigerator but we have a medium size fridge outside. I was told That RV refrigerators are expensive to run on electric that’s where most of your class is coming from.
Just curious: does Riverbend Campground bill you for the power usage, or does Central Maine Power bill you?
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote