Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Miles on My Tires

Was making some changes to my Trailer Trip Spreadsheet and thought I'd share some of my travel numbers. Our saga began September 2011 when we bought our first trailer (X23B). We bought the 5th in Jan 2014.
We've covered about 30k miles (22k of that in the 5th) and spent a total of 288 nights in both trailers. A rough calculation yields an average of 41.8 nights/year.

I'm on my 2nd set of tires, the original (the infamous TowMax) were replaced with only about 2k miles on them after 2 blowouts in 75 miles (probably around 3k miles including the delivery to Texas, sadly I never looked at the date codes). The replacements are Goodyear G614's and are LT tires and they've accumulated a bit over 20k miles on them and have performed flawlessly and still look great. The only complaint I have is they were pricey.
The original spare was a no-name, made in China "Miracle Tire" (if they don't blow, it's a miracle!). I replaced it with a Goodyear Endurance.

We're at home right now getting ready to kick off a remodel project of our master bath and discussing our next trip.
Safe Travels!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

My original China may/will pops lasted 2 yrs. Changed to LT's change them every 4 years and they have aprox 30K on them. Tread still looks good but I fig 4 yrs is good enough
hotpepperkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Was making some changes to my Trailer Trip Spreadsheet and thought I'd share some of my travel numbers. Our saga began September 2011 when we bought our first trailer (X23B). We bought the 5th in Jan 2014.
We've covered about 30k miles (22k of that in the 5th) and spent a total of 288 nights in both trailers. A rough calculation yields an average of 41.8 nights/year.

I'm on my 2nd set of tires, the original (the infamous TowMax) were replaced with only about 2k miles on them after 2 blowouts in 75 miles (probably around 3k miles including the delivery to Texas, sadly I never looked at the date codes). The replacements are Goodyear G614's and are LT tires and they've accumulated a bit over 20k miles on them and have performed flawlessly and still look great. The only complaint I have is they were pricey.
The original spare was a no-name, made in China "Miracle Tire" (if they don't blow, it's a miracle!). I replaced it with a Goodyear Endurance.

We're at home right now getting ready to kick off a remodel project of our master bath and discussing our next trip.
Safe Travels!

The Goodyear G614 tires are very good tires RedHorse as you already know. I replaced the Chinese Rainer tires on our Pinnacle with the G614's and have had them on other 5th wheels.
Sold the Rainers on Craigslist.........

Good Luck on your bathroom remodel. Have fun!!
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

YES RedHorse they are very EXPENSIVE!! But I believe you only get what you pay for.........
Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
YES RedHorse they are very EXPENSIVE!! But I believe you only get what you pay for.........
Agree! There’s some stuff I go cheap on and others I don’t. I selected my Tires, Surge suppressor (EMS) and my TPMS (probably some other stuff I don’t remember at the moment) after surfing JOF to see what products were getting the better reviews.
I notice the G614’s are re-grooveable (didn’t that used to be re-tread?) and when they’re ready I’ll investigate that option.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 08-09-2018, 05:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Agree! There’s some stuff I go cheap on and others I don’t. I selected my Tires, Surge suppressor (EMS) and my TPMS (probably some other stuff I don’t remember at the moment) after surfing JOF to see what products were getting the better reviews.
I notice the G614’s are re-grooveable (didn’t that used to be re-tread?) and when they’re ready I’ll investigate that option.

The last 5th Wheel i had with G614's when they were around 5 years old, I put them on Craigslist. Sold them within few days and put that money towards new ones i had already purchased. They do hold their value and someone will always want to buy them.

I don't want "retreads" ever. In hot weather those are the alligators you see along the side of road...........
Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
In hot weather those are the alligators you see along the side of road...........
Or the carcasses of China Bombs.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 08-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
Site Team

The g614’s are considered commercial grade and they are marketed that way. Regroovable and recaps May appeal to a fleet business.

Mine have been on the road for 4 years and show ZERO wear. I seldom even have to adjust the pressure.
That’s worth the cost IMO. About $350 each back then.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #9

I bought mine Apr ‘15 and I can’t see any wear either. Didn’t record what I paid but think it was a bit north of $400 each. They were balanced when I upgraded the rims last year but I couldn’t tell any difference. I also echo what you say about air loss,VERY little.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #10

In Phoenix we don't keep track of miles, only months. Three years we pep;ace no matter how they look! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #11

My wife and I average about 30 nights a year but other than a trip to Fort Wilderness and a couple of trips out of state (VA and PA) we stay local so we've only done 8,300 miles.

As far as tires go, we had Chinese tires on our first TT (put 7,800 miles on them) with no problems (blowouts, bulging, flat spots, uneven wear, excess loss of pressure, etc.). I check pressure ever trip, drive at 60mph even if the limit is higher and the tires saw very little direct sunlight when the TT was stored. When I sold the TT after six years the tires looked new.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote