Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #1

"Miscommunication" with dealer

Hello,

What would you do in this case:

- I agreed with a dealer on the price of a new trailer about one month ago - all was done with email, so I know what was communicated, I expressed my expectations clearly
- they were to place an order by the end of May to have the trailer manufactured in July and I was going to pick it up in August (can't do this earlier)
- I just found out that they placed the order immediately and the trailer was manufactured already
- they are saying that they could order another one, but Jayco increased the prices (do not know yet how much)

I do not like the idea that the trailer sitting there for three months and being used probably as a show unit...

What would you do?

Thanks!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #2

There would be no harm in the trailer sitting at the dealership for 3 mos. but you are correct that unless you have some kind of deposit on it they would show it and sell it if a buyer came along I'm sure. I purchased all 3 of my trailers off of the dealers lot and know people looked through it. Why does this bother you so much??? People buy RV's off the lot everyday. It's not like they take them out and use them first.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #3

In my mind it's a non-issue.

The factory prices rise every year. That's just the way it is. The dealer was probably going to order the floorplan anyway and you can either accept it or they can sell it. It's just the time of year where model year changes happen.

Being somewhat in your same situation I opted for the 2017 trailer at 2016 prices.

It's going to sit somewhere eventually.

These are not built one at a time in the sense that you can order a specific floorplan and have it constructed on your time schedule. They are batch produced. Meaning the factory takes orders for a certain floorplan and when the batch capacity is reached they schedule the run. Your dealer probably booked the pre-order and the threshold was reached. At best their knowledge of a window is about a month give or take a couple of weeks.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Site Team

You could stipulate that they put a sold sign on the trailer and not to use it as a show model. Or bite the bullet and pay the difference in model years which would likely be a modest increase unless significant changes are made to that model.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
In my mind it's a non-issue.

The factory prices rise every year. That's just the way it is. The dealer was probably going to order the floorplan anyway and you can either accept it or they can sell it. It's just the time of year where model year changes happen.

Being somewhat in your same situation I opted for the 2017 trailer at 2016 prices.

It's going to sit somewhere eventually.

These are not built one at a time in the sense that you can order a specific floorplan and have it constructed on your time schedule. They are batch produced. Meaning the factory takes orders for a certain floorplan and when the batch capacity is reached they schedule the run. Your dealer probably booked the pre-order and the threshold was reached. At best their knowledge of a window is about a month give or take a couple of weeks.
Actually when we toured the plant, they had 4 or 5 units on the line (at one time) all were different models, within that line. IE We toured Jay Flight line, all being built were different models but all Jay Flights. We also toured the 5er line and same thing. I have no knowledge if a dealer can "book" a unit months out or not.

I would have no issue as long as plastic was not removed from furniture etc. Where it sits, be it the dealer or your own storage facility doesn't really make a difference. I think what may of happened is , you ordered a '16 model and they placed the order for a '16 at the end of the run. Since they are now producing '17's this was one of the last of the 16's produced. Typically there are not major changes from year to year, colors are probably the biggest change, and, the price is updated.

I would take it and ask they not complete "setting" it up until your PDI.

Good Luck

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #6

You have to do what makes you comfortable. I'm a little OCD and would not like my trailer sitting there for 3 months only because I wouldn't want people tracking through it and messing with everything. With that being said I bought our first camper off the lot so I'm sure it was tracked through but it was clean and showed no wear when we picked it up.

I'm sure you could have the dealer not allow the trailer to be toured. If you think you want to order another one I bet the prices aren't that different.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

Thanks Guys. I ordered 2017 28DSBH. I was waiting for 2017 model.

I think I will ask them not to use it as show model... however, they are 2,000 miles away, so they would probably do what they want

thanks!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I have no knowledge if a dealer can "book" a unit months out or not.
Everything they build has been ordered by a dealer. Nothing is built for "open" stock.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Just wondering if you put any money down on the order?

My 2011 was on my dealers lot for over 8 months, in fact I looked at it right after it came in and ended up purchasing it at the beginning of the new year when it was discounted. It was sold as new and had the same warranty. No signs of wear or abuse even though it sat for 8-9 months. I am sure it was used as a demo for potential buyers.

It has been virtually trouble free.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Everything they build has been ordered by a dealer. Nothing is built for "open" stock.
I understand that Grumpy, I meant I don't know if a dealer can place an order for say, October build, in May. They may have to hold the order until build dates are released in Oct then place it. Being that the 16's were coming to and end, they may of just ordered the unit this person wanted, even though they had no deposit. Especially if it's a popular model, knowing they could sell it if an order did not get placed.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I meant I don't know if a dealer can place an order for say, October build, in May. .
Based on what I know about the way JAYCO updates dealer order sheets it's very doubtful. Changes in specs (additions or deletions) or price would play havoc with their system.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #12

What about the money? The dealer had to pay for that trailer (or in most cases finance, right?). The dealership is a business. As a business owner, I wouldn't want that rig sitting there for 3 months without the opportunity to sell it while I paid interest and inventory tax and occupied space in my lot.

Personally, I bought a trailer off the lot that had been sitting for about 3 months. My dealer has an "open door" policy (campers are unlocked during business hours so customers can browse as they please). Meaning that trailer sat on his lot all that time and I'm positive people walked in and out of it every day. I've had no problems with my trailer as a result of it being shown. In fact, I'm wondering if I have fewer problems because of it. The dealer isn't going to want to show a trailer that has problems, so I would assume anything that came up was fixed... just thinking out loud there...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #13

Is there any way you can get up there to pay for the unit with an agreement that they store it for you until you are ready to pick it up? You get the keys so no one can get inside.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #14

Whether people are allowed to trample through it depends on the dealer, and if you have at least a down payment on it.

I know with our dealer anything that is marked sold is locked. Someone browsing the lot can't get in them even if they try to bribe someone. All you can do is ask them about doing the same for you. I'm sure they will. Then just make sure when you do your PDI everything is in order.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #15

In my thinking, as long as you perform a very good PDI before leaving the lot and ensure everything is in tip-top shape, it should be fine. Like has been previously stated, whether it sits on the factory lot or the dealer lot, the condition that you accept it in is what truly counts. If the dealer is worth anything you will not be able to tell if anyone "walked" through it while it has been on the lot.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #16

Thanks Guys! The dealer agreed to lock the trailer and store it indoors. So, it won't be a show unit. If I were to order a new trailer, they say that it would be aroun $1.5k more, as Jayco increased the prices. Of course, I doubt that Jayco increased the priced that much... but anyway...

Thanks again and can't wait it pick up my trailer in Aug!