Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2022, 08:00 AM   #1
DBR

Mor-Ryde steps

Just got our new 5th wheel (27RS) and it has Mo-Ryde steps with 3 steps. The steps seem almost too short as we have to extend them all the way and still not level. Checking the height of the door sill, looks like Mo-Ryde says this unit should have 4 steps. Anyone else have this issue, and why would Jayco build these with the wrong steps. Any recourse?
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:09 AM   #2

If you bought new I'd ask your dealer. I have a love- hate relationship with those steps on my pinnacle, which has 4 steps. Yes, I have blocks made I use when at my home, the legs aren't long enough for my parking spot. I haven't been at a campsite yet I needed the blocks, but it's gonna happen. And, if the steps are adjusted too high you can bend your door bottom.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR View Post
Just got our new 5th wheel (27RS) and it has Mo-Ryde steps with 3 steps. The steps seem almost too short as we have to extend them all the way and still not level. Checking the height of the door sill, looks like Mo-Ryde says this unit should have 4 steps. Anyone else have this issue, and why would Jayco build these with the wrong steps. Any recourse?
I wonder if they installed the 3 step version being out of stock on the 4 version???

I cannot remember for fact, but we looked at a couple HTs over the weekend (not the 27RS) and I am confident they all had 4 steps. They were very comfortable to use. I recall the legs were not fully extended.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #4
DBR

Thanks. I have reached out directly to Jayco and I'll see what they say. Seems like it should be an easy fix-or at least I hope so.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:48 AM   #5

I have the 4 step which i added myself. They are normally extended all the way. When we camp at our favorite lake and a few other spots, we have to use blocks. My TT has the bigger tire option which is probably why. The block routine doesn't bother me as much as dirt/sand getting trapped in the open channels and then in the RV when you fold them up.... Overall, i love these steps.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #6

You can check very easily whether you have the right steps for your RV by reviewing the MorRyde Step Qualifier:

https://www.morryde.com/products/ste...v-entry-steps/

I attended an RV show this past January and alot of the TT’s and 5th wheels with MorRyde Steps were either too narrow or too short for the unit. So the manufacturers are just installing what they have in stock whether it fits or not. I would not put up with that as it’s a sure sign they would be taking shortcuts elsewhere.

BTW, I installed MorRyde Steps on my TT 4 years ago and I love them!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #7

If it is anything like our 2020 28.5rsts the 3 step is standard equipment. But if you ordered the trailer with the optional 16" wheel and tire package that raises the height of the 5th wheel and the 3 step unit is not tall enough. I knew that right from the start and made a deal with the dealership to swap the 3 step to a 4 step when it arrived from the factory. That solved the problem. We also found with units on the lot that the 3 step had way to much of a rise and were not comfortable to walk up and down.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #8
DBR

Reached out to Jayco, and you're exactly correct-it is due to the 16" wheels. Wished I would have known of that prior to taking delivery, but I guess "live and learn".
Old 03-17-2022, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Reached out to Jayco, and you're exactly correct-it is due to the 16" wheels. Wished I would have known of that prior to taking delivery, but I guess "live and learn".
So, if it has 16 inch wheels that were not installed by you, then either the dealer who installed them as an add-on, or Jayco should be installing a 4 step system.

I'd worry about someone getting hurt using too short of steps.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Do you have the 16" wheels?

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
So, if it has 16 inch wheels that were not installed by you, then either the dealer who installed them as an add-on, or Jayco should be installing a 4 step system.

I'd worry about someone getting hurt using too short of steps.
The four steps have the same issue with the 16 inch wheels.. On a level surface they reach fine.. Not so in a slight incline.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:54 PM   #12

I installed TorkLift steps maybe 3 years ago and we love them. They have 2 styles, mine stores in the under door space and the other stores in the door space like MorRyde (I think). Look into them if you are not satisfied and your dealer will not help.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I installed TorkLift steps maybe 3 years ago and we love them. They have 2 styles, mine stores in the under door space and the other stores in the door space like MorRyde (I think). Look into them if you are not satisfied and your dealer will not help.
I installed the TorkLift Uprising in my 2015 White Hawk 27 DSRL a few years ago and love mine too! The Uprising is the one that hinges up into the doorway. I like the clearance underneath the door the Uprising gives us. :-) When I was trying to decide between the Morryde, Lippert and the TorkLift, I feel I made the right choice with the TorkLift GlowStep Revolution Uprising Steps w/ Booster Step - 3 Steps. This model has the extra 4th step and adjustable legs. We've never had to use blocks :-)
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:39 PM   #14
DBR

Mo-Ryde steps

Thanks for the tip about the Tork Lift steps. Sounds like that may be the way to go. I'll be looking into them.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #15

We have an early 2021 27RS we special ordered just as Covid restrictions started (June 2020) with 16" wheels. It came with 3 steps. I have had a couple times where I wish we had 4 steps. With the camper sitting level on my driveway, we are 38 1/2" to the top of the threshold. So, per MORryde's "Qualifier Chart" The Meeker provided, we should have the 4 step version.
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:32 PM   #16

We or I should say the DW had the same problem being short. Me not so much being 6'2" with a 34" inseam. Went with the Tork Lift 4 step and couldn't be happier with them. Dang oem step is just to high of a step being over 9" apart and only 3 steps.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:22 AM   #17

Quote:
I had the same problem with my 28.5rsts. Called the dealer, they said it was fine when it left there and would not do anything about it. I emailed Jayco with the specs from Mo-Ryde. They contacted the dealer and told them to change it out to a 4 step. I don't know if the dealer ordered it that way or if it was a Jayco build.
rofrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofrido View Post
I had the same problem with my 28.5rsts. Called the dealer, they said it was fine when it left there and would not do anything about it. I emailed Jayco with the specs from Mo-Ryde. They contacted the dealer and told them to change it out to a 4 step. I don't know if the dealer ordered it that way or if it was a Jayco build.
There isn't a choice when ordering. When we ordered ours, I would've opted for the 4 step as I had already taken measurements of the 5th wheels that were on the lot and knew the 3 step was too short and had too much of a rise to be comfortable with the 16" wheel option. The 3 step was/is just the standard for those trailers. I'm surprised Jayco told the dealer to change them out, unless Jayco made a deal to swap them under warranty or something.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:02 AM   #19

I believe it war under warranty. The dealer upgraded the 5er to 16" wheels, but didn't change the steps. Jayco should have. I have not had any problems with a high first step in the last 2 years. You'll enjoy them.
rofrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:47 AM   #20
DBR

Mo-Ryde steps

Just an update and resolution to the whole steps situation. My dealer is switching out the 3 step for the 4 step version. He offered to do it to "make it right". Jayco had nothing to do with it. Very pleased with Harper RV (formerly, but no longer affiliated with Harper Camperland.) Getting the new steps today!