Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2022, 12:29 PM   #1

Mosquitoes! Tips on keeping them out?

Hey all,

I woke up this morning in our hybrid, and counted 28 skeeters in just our bunk end The eldest said they counted 22 in theirs.

Between the wife, the kids, the dog, etc, the door does get opened fairly often, but we try to swat away any bugs by the door before anyone opens it. We keep the lights off inside until the door is closed, and turn them off before we open it again.

I have a 18v battery operated fogger with professional strength juice that I use twice a day usually. There are no rips or openings in our screens. It just so thick with bugs sometimes in certain locations.

Do you have any tips you could pass along for keeping them out iof he TT (besides never opening the door)? Do those awning attached screen porch things help? Maybe putting a 12v fan aimed at the door opening? A rip cord that pulls the pin
DigitalFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 01:05 PM   #2

When we lived in Sacramento near the river my wife would hang fresh Ginger to keep them blood suckers away. She also boils it in a tea kettle in the RV. It works, keeps them at bay and away from the our arteries...
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 01:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFusion View Post
Hey all,

I woke up this morning in our hybrid, and counted 28 skeeters in just our bunk end The eldest said they counted 22 in theirs.

Between the wife, the kids, the dog, etc, the door does get opened fairly often, but we try to swat away any bugs by the door before anyone opens it. We keep the lights off inside until the door is closed, and turn them off before we open it again.

I have a 18v battery operated fogger with professional strength juice that I use twice a day usually. There are no rips or openings in our screens. It just so thick with bugs sometimes in certain locations.

Do you have any tips you could pass along for keeping them out iof he TT (besides never opening the door)? Do those awning attached screen porch things help? Maybe putting a 12v fan aimed at the door opening? A rip cord that pulls the pin
When I had my tent campers the problem was keeping hornets from coming in every little spot on the canvas. The dog would go to the end of the bed and crawl out when ever we left. But mosquitoes , we sprayed the screen many times a day and that kept them out
Old 06-18-2022, 01:33 PM   #4

We camp in the Everglades often and mosquitos are always a problem. I think you bring some in on your clothes. We never have a problem with them coming inside from anywhere else.

Repellent (Deet) works, but some folks don't like to use it. If you spray inside the camper you can set-off your gas alarm. We use fans near the door - inside and out. That artificail wind seems to work best.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:39 PM   #5

if INSIDE mosquitos are an issue, THIS thing is working wonders for us: https://www.amazon.com/fruit-fly-tra...jaz10cnVl&th=1
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:20 PM   #6

I second a fan. Skeeters are not fond of wind. You could also try a Thermacell though in the Northwest Territories the plane sized skeeters laughed at it. It works best out of the wind.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:47 AM   #7

Anybody ever tried one of those ultrasonic noisemaker things?

Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Repellent (Deet) works, but some folks don't like to use it.
We typically only use the deet stuff when it gets thick out. We were using it that weekend because it was one of the top-10 buggiest trips we've had in 25+ years of camping.

I did a little experiment and sprayed some of the 25% deet around the outside frame of the door on the exterior wall, and wow... We literally went from swarms inside to only a few lil buggers who managed to make it in. It worked for the last two days of our trip with only that single application (no rain).

Was it a fluke? I'm not sure. But next time we have one of those trips where the skeeters are so thick you can't even breath without inhaling one, I am going to try it again.

Retired: 2009 GMC Sierra Crewcab & 2003 Kiwi 18F

Old 06-24-2022, 07:42 AM   #9

DEET dissolves plastic. Be careful.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-24-2022, 08:05 AM   #10

Yeah, I was worried about what it might do to the vinyl, so I did a small test at first and checked it a few hours later and all seemed fine. Its now been almost a week and I have yet to get a chance to wash the camper, and there is zero sign of any issues.

I wouldn't do it every time, and it was a desperation move, but in a pinch it worked great.

Retired: 2009 GMC Sierra Crewcab & 2003 Kiwi 18F

Old 06-24-2022, 12:37 PM   #11

if I was using all the gadgets that many people are using, I would say they all work great because I'm not using any of them and I don't have any mosquitos so I would say they work, even though every scientist says they don't. If I owned one and I was being eaten alive and I used one of those gadgets and it worked immediately, then I would say it worked. I remember having one of those black light bug killers that did nothing, I gave it away. My neighbor bought one of those machines with the pheromones, it cost him a lot of money, he never used it again. We would Fog/spray the grass and put deet on and put up a fan to keep the air moving
Old 06-24-2022, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
DEET dissolves plastic. Be careful.
Also stains leather and clothes.. Not a fan of the stuff
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #13

These help, my experience is that you have to take the battle on from many different fronts and use both defensive and offensive tactics. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 06-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #14

We have used one of these mosquito coil holders for years and hung it outside the door. It seems to work really well for us.

https://www.amazon.com/W4W-Portable-...6526761&sr=8-3
yeeeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:46 PM   #15

Mosquitoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFusion View Post
Hey all,

We bought a 3 pack of hanging battery operated mosquito repellents last year at Costco. Wasn’t sure they would work, but brought them to Sequoia with us. We had one hanging from our granddaughters backpack, one hanging on the dogs stroller and one hanging from my backpack. They have little colored LED lights inside. When we got back to camp, couldn’t believe it. We didn’t think there were any flying bugs at the campfire, but we emptied the bins and out poured about fifty dead mosquitos. These things actually work.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:38 PM   #16

DigitalFusion- burn Citronella buckets (2) on each side of your entry door. When your away from the RV for at least 2 hrs.- burn a Mosquito coil inside your RV to kill all Mosquito's inside- air it out upon your return. Use a propane Mosquito trap in your campsite near the door to the RV. Keep the screen door shut 98% of the time.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:52 AM   #17

According to consumers report I heard Avon products for repellents work great. We have the stuff it works but I think the Maine mosquitos read the report as well. They love the stuff. Otherwise I have found nothing except screened mesh to keep the monsters out. They are getting bad up here in Maine. But we try to keep the lites to a minimal and it seems to work. Been a fun summer so far. Otherwise everything we have tried does not seem to work for us. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:05 AM   #18

Old. Time Woodsman
Maine based local
The skeeters aren't bad: have you met no seeums? They get through tiny holes. much smaller than mosquitoes and feel like they are setting you on fire
The blackflies are our state insect but are done now for 2022

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 07-07-2022, 06:27 AM   #19

We added the “as seen on tv” magnetic close screen to our door prior to an Alaska trip. Works great. We would spray a bit of Off around the door too.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote