Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Motor Homes vs. Trailers

If you've had both trailers and MHs, is the MH easier overall to deal with than your trailers were? I'm thinking about the physical side of setting up/down, driving, everything involved with camping. I get the impression that as people age they tend to go MH. But if you tow a dinghy...well, is it easier on what's left of the old body? And I already get the Bathroom On Board bit!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #2

Always camped in a TT.... looked at a 5th wheel and then bought a Jayco Greyhawk Class C... tow a Ford Edge using Blue Ox tow bars and Stay-in-Play brake system.... will never go back to a trailer...

Joe
SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO
JaycoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #3

Depends how often one is on the road, how flushed the are, and if they are full timers or not.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #4

They all have good points and bad points. It just depends on the individuals needs. If we were on the road a lot we would have a motor home. As it is we stay for months in the same place so we prefer trailers. I can actually get to use the engine/ transmission I have paid good money for. We have had all three and prefer the travel trailer.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
If you've had both trailers and MHs, is the MH easier overall to deal with than your trailers were? I'm thinking about the physical side of setting up/down, driving, everything involved with camping. I get the impression that as people age they tend to go MH. But if you tow a dinghy...well, is it easier on what's left of the old body? And I already get the Bathroom On Board bit!
I'm 64. We just traded our MH in on a new Jayco 31rks trailer. Had the MH six years and really liked it. I like the trailer even more. First, we now have transport when parked. That's huge. Second, we can trade off or up to any tow vehicle we like. I always worried about something major going wrong with the MH drivetrain (big $$$). Third, ALL of the trailer is available living space. We have has much room in the TT as we ever had in the MH. And it cost a hell of a lot less. As a bonus, we can carry stuff (translate: toys) in th PU.
It is actually just as easy to hook up as the MH was to get ready to travel. I made sure EVERYTHING on my TT was powered.

Just my $.02 worth,

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Altar1, that's my thinking to a T. But as we've never owned an MH it's not based on knowledge. Not that that ever stopped me. And I feel a bit of a shiver run down my leg (can't stand Matthews) every time we pass an MH stuck on the side of the road. Thanks.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #7

We had two Class A motorhomes for 12 years prior to buying a Jayco 17Z hybrid TT. I went that route initially with a 23 year old unit because at the time I could not afford to buy both a suitable tow vehicle to carry the family and a camper.

We used that one for only 2 years and upgraded to a 9 year old unit and picked up a 5 year old Geo Tracker to tow four flat behind it. This was a great way to travel, especially with young children. The Class A motorhome provides an exceptional view when traveling and was a snap to back into a campsite and set up. I really enjoyed driving mine, especailly setting out on a trip early in the morning.

The downside with the motorhome is the upkeep. I had two engines, chassis and generator, to change oil and filters and exercise even in the non use winter months. Add to that 7 tires, 3 batteries, supplemental air bags, grease fittings, wiper blades plus the other rv systems.

I did most of the maintenance myself; however, I always worried that a day would come and my shadetree, parts hanger skills would let me down and I'd have to tow her in to a real mechanic. It was down only once in the driveway with a bad MAP sensor which took me a week to figure out. Since this was only my second week of ownership. I always worried about having to tow it off!

Other ever present worries with a Class A motorhome deal with Class A issues such as windshield issues, windshield seal issues, oddball this and oddball that from not having a conventional automotive production quality cab. This results in the difficulty finding certain conponents necessary for service and the difficulty in reaching some items. On my last one the air filter element was a real pain.

When we made our switch we opted to go as light and as lean as possible and decided on the Jayco 17 Z. My life is much simpler keeping up with this neat little hybrid which does all we really need it to for our usage.

The bottom line is there are advantages to going either way, MH or TT. It basically depends on what you want and how you intend to use it, and the duration of your trips and travels.

A funny thing is that I switched from a MH to TT, but I bought my tow vehicle from a man that went from a TT to MH! Go figure!

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #8

This is the same as Coke VS PEPSI...
each to their own taste...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote