Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
SUP

Mounting a TV

I have the 212qb and looking to mount a couple of TV's. Does anyone know how thick the wall is at the designated mounting points. Don't want screws to pop through to the outside. Thanks
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

most framing is 1"x2" .... but you can contact Jayco for the wall schematics specific to your unit. Go to 'contact us' at the bottom of their home page, then customer service and send them an email. You will need your units vin #. The schematics give the exact materials, dimensions and location in the walls. I used them to mount a TV on the bunk wall of my 272 that was not a designated 'TV Mount' location.
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #3

If you are mounting them at designated spots in the RV, then the wall in those locations has approx 1/2 or 3/4" wood behind the wall panel, large enough for std TV mount plates. The locations have proven strong enough for appropriate sized TVs.

If you are mounting in a not standard location or oversize TV's then you are on your own.

How do you know if it is a designated location? Ours had stickers on the wall where the mouting locations were designed. In all cases there was an electrical outlet and cable connection near each location. If you bought a used unit the PO may have removed the stickers so a call to Jayco may be necessary (or find someone with exact model to compare it to).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #4

I've only mount brackets in the designated locations using 1" screws. The brackets have been plenty sturdy but I still don't have enough confidence to leave the television mounted while traveling. Given it only takes 20 seconds to disconnect the cables, power cord and slide the TV from the mount to store it I feel removing it is a better option versus worrying about damage to the wall and/or television every time I hit a major bump in the road while traveling.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

I got the schematic for my SLX 267BHSW to see just where the TV mount area is, which is about where the sticker says it's supposed to be, but the paneling that hides that area flexes in and out when I press on it, and it's hard to feel confident about actually mounting a swing-arm TV mount on that spot. I'm leaning toward just keeping the 32" TV on its small rectangular pedestal type stand and laying it on the bed while traveling and then place it on the shelf in the TV compartment area when camped. Anyone have luck installing a swing-out TV mount with a TV that large in a similar situation?
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
I got the schematic for my SLX 267BHSW to see just where the TV mount area is, which is about where the sticker says it's supposed to be, but the paneling that hides that area flexes in and out when I press on it, and it's hard to feel confident about actually mounting a swing-arm TV mount on that spot. I'm leaning toward just keeping the 32" TV on its small rectangular pedestal type stand and laying it on the bed while traveling and then place it on the shelf in the TV compartment area when camped. Anyone have luck installing a swing-out TV mount with a TV that large in a similar situation?
I mounted a 19" flat screen that weighs 11 ~ 12 lbs on a swing-out mount (always removed when traveling). Based on that experience I'd have some concerns about a 32" television (probably in the range of 32 lbs.) on that type of mount, especially when the mount is extended. I'm not really confident that the structure of the wall would be strong enough to support the weight of a 32 lbs. television given the RV, even while camping, is going to experience some rocking back and forth, with the television experiencing some up and down motion. That 32 lbs. extended a foot away from the wall is going place some significant stress on the wall and whatever relatively thin stud is behind it.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 06-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #7

I recently mounted a 40" Smart TV in the master bedroom of our 40BHQS. The mounting plate was 3/4" thick. the screws I used were the screws that came with the mount. They were 2 3/4" long. They did not go through the tin siding, but it was pretty darn close. If I didn't use a washer, I think it would have pierced the siding.
Anything longer than 2" is overkill, but I didn't want to run out and get shorter lag screws.

Be careful when using the sticker location for the mounting bracket. We were told that the mounting plate behind the wall was 6 inches in all directions from the center of the sticker, so basically a 12" x 12" mounting plate. That was not the case for us. Our plate was more like 12" tall by 6" wide.

I bought this Fleximount from Amazon. We have a window directly under the mounting location, so I needed be able to move the TV from the wall a few inches. The mounting location is also kinda high on the wall, so having it tilt down is a nice feature.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I mounted a 19" flat screen that weighs 11 ~ 12 lbs on a swing-out mount (always removed when traveling). Based on that experience I'd have some concerns about a 32" television (probably in the range of 32 lbs.) on that type of mount, especially when the mount is extended. I'm not really confident that the structure of the wall would be strong enough to support the weight of a 32 lbs. television given the RV, even while camping, is going to experience some rocking back and forth, with the television experiencing some up and down motion. That 32 lbs. extended a foot away from the wall is going place some significant stress on the wall and whatever relatively thin stud is behind it.
Thanks for the reply. The 32" TV we have only weighs 13 lbs. I'm still not feeling good about having even that much weight bouncing around or levering against the inordinately small and flimsy wall studs and plywood plate, however. If we end up doing a wall mount, I fully expect we'll be taking the TV down while traveling, same as you. Thanks again for the input.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
. . .
Be careful when using the sticker location for the mounting bracket. We were told that the mounting plate behind the wall was 6 inches in all directions from the center of the sticker, so basically a 12" x 12" mounting plate. That was not the case for us. Our plate was more like 12" tall by 6" wide.
. . .
-Michael
Thanks. The schematic Jayco sent me says the plate shows "PLYWOOD,5/8 X 11 1/2 X 14" for the TV mount support. But it's only surrounded by 1x2" framing, and the framing it's surrounded by appears to only be attached to other framing at the top, but not at the sides or the bottom, i.e., only hung from the top frame cross-member. I guess being attached to the paneling on the front and/or back would add support for it, but, as I mentioned earlier, the paneling flexes in and out a bit indicating the support is not fixed to the paneling either. Just doesn't seem to be very well constructed for the purpose.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The 32" TV we have only weighs 13 lbs. I'm still not feeling good about having even that much weight bouncing around or levering against the inordinately small and flimsy wall studs and plywood plate, however. If we end up doing a wall mount, I fully expect we'll be taking the TV down while traveling, same as you. Thanks again for the input.
Wow, a 13 lbs 32" television. I'm in serious need of an upgrade.

I've been using the 11 ~ 12 lbs 19" television with the extended arm for six years and it's never given any indication of becoming detached or causing damage to the wall. The arm is only extended when we're actually watching it the television, otherwise it's pushed up against the wall. That said I totally understand your concerns about the structural integrity of the walls in general and their ability to support the weight of a television on an extended arm. The forces multiply pretty significantly the further from the wall the weight is extended.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 06-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I recently mounted a 40" Smart TV in the master bedroom of our 40BHQS. The mounting plate was 3/4" thick.

-Michael
A 3/4" plate probably weights more the TV. Did you mean 1/4" ?
Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
SUP

Thanks for the replies. Yes to some that asked, I am mounting where the sticker is. Have to weight my TV's. I think they are going to be too heavy. Going to check with Jayco for the specs.
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenelz View Post
A 3/4" plate probably weights more the TV. Did you mean 1/4" ?
I said plate, but didn't mean a metal plate. It felt like 3/4" plywood, but GL243 mentioned Jayco stated is was 5/8", so it could be 5/8". I was only an 1/8" off

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, television