Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #1

Mouse-Free: did it work for you?

I would like to know if anyone has tried a spray on product called mouse-free. We had mice in late summer. I trapped them out went underneath and used stainless steel wool, caulk, and spray foam to seal up everything. All was well until today when I did my weekly check. We have tried dryer sheets essential oils and moth balls in the past on our other trailers with no positive results. I think this fairly new spray product is probably snake oil but woukd like to hear from anyone who had mice, used mouse-free and kept mice out. I would also like to hear if it did not work for you.
Thank you
RMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMartin View Post
I would like to know if anyone has tried a spray on product called mouse-free. We had mice in late summer. I trapped them out went underneath and used stainless steel wool, caulk, and spray foam to seal up everything. All was well until today when I did my weekly check. We have tried dryer sheets essential oils and moth balls in the past on our other trailers with no positive results. I think this fairly new spray product is probably snake oil but woukd like to hear from anyone who had mice, used mouse-free and kept mice out. I would also like to hear if it did not work for you.
Thank you
I have not used this nor have I even heard of the product. I visited their website and read the description/FAQ's and watched the videos. Quite an interesting product. I will be watching this post to see if anyone has used it and what their thoughts are. Thanks for starting the thread and hopefully there will be some input.

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

Rmartin, It's definitely not snake oil. I have been using it for two years now with fantastic results, Honest. I was skeptical like you, I purchased the 2 gallons as this quantity include a "free" sprayer. I spray the entire underside of my 5er including backs of the tires. I took two metal five gallon steel pails and put my front landing gear in them and sprayed the outside of the pails. I also made sheet metal "boxes" for the wheels. These are nothing more than return air ducting from home depot that is pre-bent. They are 5' long by 10" tall. I pop riveted a cap on the one end and then backed the trailer into the boxes. Then I put the cap on the other end with sheet metal screws. Then I sprayed the boxes with mouse free on the boxes as well. Last but not least I did not put the rear stabilizers down, I thought about building boxes for them. But, they would have been huge! BTW the mouse free has the consistency of a "thin" Vaseline and smells like spearmint/peppermint. according to what I read,Mice don't like the smell nor the feel of it I guess. Hope this helps. I still put a couple of peanut butter laced mouse traps in my 5er just in case...LOL
Old 02-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

While you are waiting for a chemical solution and since you know they can come in try looking again for the mouse "highway to heaven".

I your RV plugged in? They will be happy to walk up the power cord and walk in through the hole the power cord comes out of. Try stuffing it with steel wool without the caulk.

Look at your doors and hatches for places to come in. A tiny crack in the seal is enough. You may have to reinforce or replace the seals. Don't miss taking the fridge, furnace and water heater vents off and putting wire over them or inside them.

Is there an overhanging branch that touches the roof. Yep, they can come in from the top through vents.

Try crawling under with a light at night so your eyes may see what they must have missed the first time. Even a seam that has a quarter inch gap is enough.

Last, go inside, do the steel wool and sealant every place you can find the floor is pierced.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #5

GraftonGuns thank you for the detailed response. I also have been thinking about building "walls" around access points. I did find one opening on the frame that I missed last fall. I am curious to know if you had any mouse problems before you started using mouse-free? I have read many amazon reviews on the product but very few, if any, give a before and after report. I also feel that this forum offers far more useful and honest information.

Thanks to all for your input. I have two fresh pelts and nothing for last two days so I hope that's the end of the invasion.
RMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Team

There are 22 reviews at amazon - interesting reading: https://www.amazon.com/Mouse-Free-Ro.../dp/B00DVMJYNS

I plugged holes with (stainless) steel wool but after reading this think that copper might be a better option: https://pestkill.org/mice/steel-wool/
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #7

I was cheap and lazy. I had several feet of aluminum screen wire from years ago handy in the garage. I cut it into strips 2 or 3 inches wide and kept stuffing around pipes and such until I was near the surface and it felt firm. Then, depending on which one I had I sued silicone caulk or foam sealant to lock it in place. Either has the side effect of keeping out wind, water spray from tires and bugs.

If you would like I can give you some tips on foaming overhead and how to reuse the cans several times.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
Site Team

When we purchased our 284BHS in 2012, the first thing I did was go to Lowes and get the Insulation Foam Sealant with PestBlock. I went around the bottom of the TT 2x. Foaming in EVERY crack or hole that was visible. I foamed all along the TT and the bottom plastic underbelly. I was amazed how many small openings were along the frame. There was a 3/4" hole in the front cross member that went directly into the underbelly, foamed that right away. If you have the spare tire under the TT, let it down and look at the large hole around the cable that raises and lowers the tire. Made a plate with a hole just big enough for the cable to fit through, and caulked the thin slot to the hole. Yes it is a messy job, but well worth it.

To this day, we have not had any critters inside the TT, where our neighbors have been battling them on a regular basis. After every rainstorm I spread SEVEN Insect Dust (Lowes) on all things that touch the ground and are in some way connected to the TT. We have been bug free so far. The wife also puts the dryer sheets and peppermint oil in strategic locations in the TT.

Every spring I crawl under the TT and take a look to see if the foam is still in its place. Other than some discoloring of the foam... all looks good.

I am a firm believer that you need to FOAM every TINY opening that is a possible entrance. I even did this on our home here in Florida.

Works for us... wife is TOTALLY HAPPY and when she is happy, I am VERY HAPPY.
Good Luck,
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
FOAM SPRAY - Great Stup with Pestblock.jpg   INSECT DUST.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #9

Just a couple of facts about mice:

A mouse is so flexible that it can get into your home through a crack or hole as small as 1/4-inch.
A mouse can jump as high as a foot, and climb 13 inches up smooth, vertical walls.
It can run 12 feet per second and swim as far as 1/2 mile.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Just a couple of facts about mice:

A mouse is so flexible that it can get into your home through a crack or hole as small as 1/4-inch.
A mouse can jump as high as a foot, and climb 13 inches up smooth, vertical walls.
It can run 12 feet per second and swim as far as 1/2 mile.
[IMG][/IMG]
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #11

I have been using mouse-free since 2013. We had mice in our new 2012 26BH over the winter. They destroyed a seat cushion. After that I ordered and sprayed the mouse-free. Never had another mouse in it until 2016 when we ordered and traded for our current 28 BHBE. That summer we had 1 mouse get in...while we were camping! I sprayed it in the fall of 2016 and only ever had 1 more mouse get in...again, while we were camping. I suspect the mice got in around the slideout. You can not spray the bottom of the slideout as the bottom will slide across the carpet inside and get it filthy if you do. With the camper closed up we have never gotten a mouse in. I swear by it!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #12

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to pass on that I conducted an experiment with Mouse Free. I coated a tongue depressor with it and placed a piece of Ritz cracker on the tongue depressor and placed it in one of the tubes of a hamster tube that the mouse (pet of my daughter) could easily avoid. I then placed normal pet shop mouse food in its dish. Not only did it eat the pet food it went into the tube, dragged the stick out placing it near its bedding and ate the Ritz. I found the glue traps on the top of tires with Ritz crackers works best. Just my two cents.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:09 PM   #13

If they can get their head through, the body will follow!!
Been mouse free ever since we started camping, never used anything. OK, knock on wood! Bug free too. We have tt sprayed once a year along with the house.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote