Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

Mouse-proofing slide rails on 2013 314BHDS

I know that it is not practical (or possible) to 100% prevent mice from entering... but I still try to do what I can.

I've been underneath and have reinforced the corruplast with spray foam at all edges and seams. I've done this on previously owned units, and that generally does a pretty good job.

However, on this unit I have the two slides with 4 slide rails and 2 "tip bars" (I think that's what they're called). These all enter through the frame and go underneath the corruplast. I can't really foam these openings, or pack with steel wool, as the slides obviously need to move in and out. At least the tip bars have caps that cover their openings when the slides are closed. I'm assuming that once they get in under the corruplast, everything is open from there (unless the slide rails are somehow encased?). I was wondering if there were any types of gaskets or caps that could be used on the slide rails themselves?

Any other suggestions or tips for how to keep the mice out of these openings?

I've read about the "Mouse Free" product, any experience with that?
sharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #2

I leave mine out.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I leave mine out.
Do you feel that the slide openings are sealed more securely when the slides are out?
sharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #4

I use steel wool when the RV is parked, but remove it before sliding in/out. I dont know of any better way to seal that particular area.

For large areas I use a "sandwich" combination of screen material, and a steel mesh that I believe is used with stucco. I form it to a bit larger that the size area to cover, then staple it to wood or screw it to metal.

I cant believe how the entire front area of 5th wheels (under the propane tanks, landing gear) are completely exposed. I used the screen and mesh to seal underneath this area, worked well. Also used it in areas I could get to where plumbing enters the floor.

I also use spray foam but have heard that mice will chew through it. I personally have not had them chew through it, has anyone seen this happen?
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharper View Post
Do you feel that the slide openings are sealed more securely when the slides are out?
As far as entry into the camper, yes. There is still the issues of entry from underbelly at other places where pipes come up through the floor but the slides seal best when extended.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharper View Post
I've read about the "Mouse Free" product, any experience with that?
I sprayed it on my camper this fall. We did have mice last spring, so I will let you know come spring time! It leaves a very slippery, almost slimy layer of lubricant all over so I bet it'll work as advertised. It does smell pretty good as well…at least to me…hopefully not to the mice.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote