Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

Moving up to a Class A - Full Time

After 3 years of ownership with our Greyhawk 31DS the wife and I are discussing moving to full-timing for a couple of years. We were going to sell our house anyway to down-size due to forced retirement this year. The problem is that we cannot settle on where to buy and retire.

I have been ok with the idea of full-timing but the wife just came to the same conclusion this last week, so we are heading that direction now. Our plan is to move to an A mostly for added living space, and I am inclined toward a gas, but will consider a smoking deal on a diesel (I have read all the sites and reviews and opinions until it is just blah...blah...blah). We will know it when we see it.

We full-timed in our Class C for two months this summer and realized that we really don't need all of our "stuff" so we will sell a lot of it and store the rest.

The reason we opted to upgrade is that a C is not well suited for freezing temps over a period of weeks or months where a bay style A is (we lived in a Tiffin Allegro Bay for a year including a cold winter in the PNW).

Mostly a discussion of things I am not thinking of from those who have done it or thought about it. We are looking at all the Youtube bloggers for tips and tricks, I will continue my contract consulting which so far is supporting us with my wifes SSI check. We are healthy and have healthcare figured out (I am on VA and wife medicare).

One question is whether I would do any better selling outright (the C) or trading in. It would appear that most places are offering me $50-55K trade on my C, there is the sales tax benefit on a trade, so I would be about $5K better if I can find a buyer going into winter.

Again...any other thoughts appreciated.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote