Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Site Team

My conclusion on stock tires

After nearly 5 years on this forum and the many posts and threads on tire nightmares, including one of my own, I have come to the conclusion that soon after delivery of a new trailer we should change out the stock tires and be done with it. I would go with a quality reputable tire and go up at least one load range, that is if the rims would support the increase in PSI. It just seems hard to imagine having peace of mind with the thought of a possible blowout looming given the questionable quality and marginal weight ratings of the OEM tires so many RV manufacturers put on their units. Thoughts?

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #2

Interesting that this may only pertain to trailers and not MHs. The two MHs I've bought from Jayco came with Michelins that I would consider a quality product. My last MH, a Winnebago came with Goodyears which I also consider to be a good product.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Interesting that this may only pertain to trailers and not MHs. The two MHs I've bought from Jayco came with Michelins that I would consider a quality product. My last MH, a Winnebago came with Goodyears which I also consider to be a good product.
Yes the motorhomes do not seem to have this problem, but that may be because the chassis is made by Ford, GM etc and they install quality tires like on their other trucks. And of course they are not ST trailer tires either but likely a high load range LT.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #4

Here's my take on it. Are the stock tires lower quality? Yes. Would I buy the same tires when replacement time comes? No.

BUT. The current TowMax tires on my trailer so far have been fine. Maybe I'm just lucky, but there is no reason for me to get rid of them prematurely. As others have mentioned, signs of imminent failure have showed themselves after minimal use, and in that case, I would replace them. I watch my tires very closely for these reasons and will try to run them one more season until they are 4-5 years old, then replace.

If money wasn't an object then I would have all of them replaced immediately. But the reality of life is that there are a ton of other priorities and expenses that sometimes require you to just run with what you've got if it works.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Here's my take on it. Are the stock tires lower quality? Yes. Would I buy the same tires when replacement time comes? No.

BUT. The current TowMax tires on my trailer so far have been fine. Maybe I'm just lucky, but there is no reason for me to get rid of them prematurely. As others have mentioned, signs of imminent failure have showed themselves after minimal use, and in that case, I would replace them. I watch my tires very closely for these reasons and will try to run them one more season until they are 4-5 years old, then replace.

If money wasn't an object then I would have all of them replaced immediately. But the reality of life is that there are a ton of other priorities and expenses that sometimes require you to just run with what you've got if it works.
x2 That said though, for peace of mind I went with the Maxxis tire upgrade when ordering the new 5er.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post

Thanks, you make good points. It is a hard concept to swallow, the fact that you would have to basically throw away new tires and spend more money right after purchasing a new trailer.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

I think Crabmans comment about moving up at least one load range is a key point. Any decent tire that is kept to it's maximum psi and is not near its load capacity will have a much better chance of survival for the 5 five years life span that is recommended by most tire vendors. Most trailers come from the manufacturer way to close to maximum load when it is delivered. I have two boat trailers and a flat bed hauler that have ST tires that has never had an issue with tires. I have had 3 different RV trailers and all three have had a tire issue before the 5 year mark. The common denominator has been in the weight that has been carried. My experience dictates getting those originals off before the 5 year mark and moving up to a heavier tire ply that has a lot more margin for weight.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #8

I know 2 years isn't a lot but we've put 10000 miles on our current trailer tires and they look good. Having said that I keep a close eye on them and will install a better grade tire when the time comes.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
I think Crabmans comment about moving up at least one load range is a key point. Any decent tire that is kept to it's maximum psi and is not near its load capacity will have a much better chance of survival for the 5 five years life span that is recommended by most tire vendors. Most trailers come from the manufacturer way to close to maximum load when it is delivered. I have two boat trailers and a flat bed hauler that have ST tires that has never had an issue with tires. I have had 3 different RV trailers and all three have had a tire issue before the 5 year mark. The common denominator has been in the weight that has been carried. My experience dictates getting those originals off before the 5 year mark and moving up to a heavier tire ply that has a lot more margin for weight.
Agreed. And to make matters worse on many units the combined weight ratings of the tries do not add up to the GVWR of the trailer, because they assume X amount of pounds will be on the tongue, making the tires IMO even more marginal. I like to have more then enough instead of just enough, or worse.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wayhighway View Post
I know 2 years isn't a lot but we've put 10000 miles on our current trailer tires and they look good. Having said that I keep a close eye on them and will install a better grade tire when the time comes.
Yes the point needs to be made that by no means do all these tires fail. Good discussion we have going here.