Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #1

My Jayco 32bhds was stolen

Yes, very painful and shocking. It was parked on a farm, but in view of the highway. Someone drove up, hitched up, and there you go. Lost a lot of stuff on the trailer too, as you can imagine.

Friends, don't make the same mistake I did. Buy a coupler lock, a hitch lock, a boot for your tires, a GPS tracker, whatever, to protect yourself. Trailers are so valuable these days thieves are getting very brazen.

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #2

I am sorry for your trouble. Its becoming so common these days its scary. Mine is parked in my yard and I am still concerned about losing it...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:43 AM   #3

So sorry for your lost I hope the insurance will take care of you, also it seem like that I have heard that someone else got there TT stolen.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #4

hope they find the people that took it and hang them by their B--ls
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your loss. I wonder what people do with these units. Cannot image the lack of morals these people have, and what they think every time they look at it. I also wonder that their parents or grandparents would say if they knew they stole it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #6

I would hope somebody Steals it from them…That would be pretty cool…
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #7

I never thought someone would steel a travel trailer. What could you do with a stolen trailer.This makes me sick!
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
I never thought someone would steel a travel trailer. What could you do with a stolen trailer.This makes me sick!
If it is possible, people will pretty much steal anything. I have an old flat deck utility trailer here that someone tried to cut the coupler lock off of when it was sitting in the middle of our property with a water tank on it. Thankfully, the lock at least held up enough for them to give up and move on.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
What could you do with a stolen trailer.This makes me sick!
Many are taken to the woods and are used as hunting or fishing camps, others are just hidden and used as meth labs.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #10

I use to never lock my doors and car. Now we do. We use to stay overnight in a Wal Mart. Not now. Now it looks like we need to get a lock for our trailer. I feel so bad for someone that has there trailer stolen. This stinks!
Old 08-27-2021, 03:36 AM   #11

That's terrible, I hope everything goes smoothly with the insurance.
niknak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #12

Proven industries makes one of the best puck lock hitch and chain deterrent systems. Used one on our airstream as they are highly desirable for scrap if not to camp.

https://www.provenlocks.com/
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Many are taken to the woods and are used as hunting or fishing camps, others are just hidden and used as meth labs.
First part sounds right, 2nd, sounds like your a Breaking Bad fan like me!

But really, all one would need to do is buy an old tittle and reregister it. Only a close inspection of a vin would prove ownership! I hate thieves! Can’t stomach bad people!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #14

Had two stolen from a big RV dealer about a mile from our home, finally caught them on I77 right on the VA NC border, they were on their way to FL, and eventually to South America, big bucks for them down there!!!
Mudrockatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #15

Call the good people at AMPLOCK. I have one for our 32KBS and feel completely comfortable in saying it’s impossible to steal this trailer with the lock installed.

https://www.amplock.com

Call their customer service number and they will walk you through to ensure you get the right lock for your trailer. Great people. Company is in Canada but we’ll worth the price and piece of mind, IMO
FILMTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #16

ON LOCKS:
A primary tactic of a thief is to ignore the coupler and simply "tie" the safety chains around a sturdy hitch. A "boot" style lock isn't much good if the thief can dismount one locked tire and replace it with the spare...or simply bring a spare after determining the size with a bit of recon.

A well-prepared thief will have:
  • Bolt cutters
  • Mini-grinder (battery powered)
  • Spare electrical connection cable
  • Spare tire(s)
  • Several jacks
  • Heavy-duty adjustable hitch on at least a 3/4 ton pickup
  • Perhaps a stolen plate/tag
  • Covers for their TV's tags (for security cameras)
  • Simple mask (also for security cameras)

Sadly, very little can stop a determined thief. Locks only prevent theft by opportunists who are acting on impulse.

I am truly sorry for your loss, but the one thing you should not do is feel badly about failing to secure the camper in some way. Chances are that very little would have stopped the perps. This is what insurance is for.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #17

Awww man....sorry to hear that. Hope everything gets rectified quickly and painlessly.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:24 PM   #18

I'm sorry to read about your ordeal. Unfortunately RV thefts seem to be skyrocketing. I suspect the current housing crisis is contributing to the problem. So many people are desperate for any kind of housing they can afford. They probably are willing to buy a second hand RV without thoroughly checking out the documents. It seems that most people on the RV forums are pretty well off and may not be aware of how many people may be willing to buy a stolen RV these days.

A series of events in the last two years made me decide to downsize to an RV for a year or two while I start a new chapter in life. I had been saving to buy a house for several years but prices went through the roof where I was living. Nothing a single person could possibly afford. Rent was over 50% of my income. People who have owned their home for many years are often completely unaware of how serious the housing situation is for many people right now. When my power converter went out last winter, the owner of Good Guys RV in Puyallup (I highly recommend them!) drove the new converter out to me in a rare snow storm to make sure I would have heat. He is the owner of the business and said that about 40% of his current customers are single people living in an RV because they can't afford housing. Most were women. All are either working or trying to live on one Social Security check after losing a spouse. They are not drug addicts etc., although I'm sure there are plenty of those too.

I used money I was saving for a house down payment to buy my older, one owner, in excellent condition, Jayco. I'm so thankful that a gal gave me some tips. She had been burned buying an RV that turned out not to have a legit title. I avoided so many possible bad outcomes by being very thorough. I asked to see the ID of the person selling the RV, matched that information with the title and had a friend who worked for a large car dealership do title checks for me. I was amazed at how many people claimed to be selling an RV for "Grandpa" or something. I ran away from any situation that didn't match up, and situations were a title had been previously transferred and notarized but more than 30 days had gone by. That can end up costing a lot of money to get fixed.

A family friend towed my Jayco here to my daughter and son in laws property while I was at work. The friend put the RV in the space set aside for it, with the tongue facing the back of the property. I'm not sure how he managed it because there is a chain link fence less than a car length behind my camper, another fence a car length away to the side, and no way to access the other side with a vehicle. My daughter said it was impressive to watch! I'm sure glad he parked it this way because every now and then, some strange person will drive up and ask if we want to sell the camper. They look like they are checking the situation out while I tell them "No". Even with security cameras, I feel like the camper could be stolen by a motivated thief if it were parked the other direction. And we are at the end of a decent cul-de-sac with great neighbors.

Sorry, this is long but maybe it will help anyone reading it to know how big the RV theft market is right now. And it may help someone looking to buy a pre-owned RV. And here is a link from our local Sheriff Dept. about a stolen RV. They tried to tow it with the stabilizers down and the tip out in the out position. This person was probably high as a kite! I have learned SO much from this forum. It has been invaluable to me as a newbie to RV living. Thank you to everyone who posts on here!

https://www.facebook.com/piercecount...315996/?type=3
happycamper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #19

I am surprised by what I have read. I never thought someone would steel a travel trailer. The reply’s opened my eyes. Now we are going to purchase a lock for our Hybird. To think someone would steel a trailer! This is nuts. I never read anything about travel trailer being stolen. To think how the owner would feel finding it gone. I just get over this.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #20

Quote:
I am surprised by what I have read. I never thought someone would steel a travel trailer. The reply’s opened my eyes. Now we are going to purchase a lock for our Hybird. To think someone would steel a trailer! This is nuts. I never read anything about travel trailer being stolen. To think how the owner would feel finding it gone. I just get over this.
If it can be moved, it can be stolen.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote