Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #1

My new SLX 287bhsw!!!

Is not ready to pick up tomorrow like I hoped.

Got a call this morning only about an hour after scheduling to pick up tomorrow, saying that they already pulled it in to get it ready, and found a few things they need to order, so it wouldn't be ready for likely a week.

Bummer. I asked if he knew what they needed to order, he said some decals, and a couple other really minor things.

Then I thought... well, I'm handy... if it's really minor stuff them maybe. If it doesn't void the warranty then maybe I can do my inspection, pick it up if the rest is good, and have them ship me whatever it needs. So I call back, and leave a message explaining that maybe if its minor I can take care of it later otherwise see him in two weeks.

Turns out... he says they saw a bunch of small dings in one of the side panels, so they're going to replace it and all th decals on it.

Bummer.. but I appreciate they found it themselves and were taking care of it right away instead of me packing up loading the family and driving the 4 hours out, spending tonight at a friends cabin half way, only to find the damage.

And I know that I'm probably going to have to look very good at the seams now when I do pick it up.

Anybody else had to get a side panel replace before pickup? Personally I'm okay with it. Yet I'm wondering if that's a think that is worth worrying about?
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #2

I would definitely let them fix that before picking it up. Also, if you do a thorough PDI, which is HIGHLY recommended, you might well find some additional things that they should fix before you take delivery. I wish I had done a more thorough PDI on my new 267BHSW a year ago as there were a couple of things that would have been good to get resolved before me owning the trailer, in particular, a loud popping noise occurring in the slide operation, and a rather serious roof membrane issue I've discussed on another thread on here -- here's a link to that discussion:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ane-61233.html
Had a heck of a time dealing with Jayco to get any level of resolution for the roof issue, but finally at least they approved the dealer to fix it by pulling the trim, lifting the membrane along the edges, then they bent the metal siding over and taped the edge prior to reinstalling the membrane. Knowing what I know now, I would NOT take possession of another trailer without carefully inspecting for the "too high metal siding causing a sharp edge under the roof membrane" issue. Hope this helps.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:33 AM   #3

Yeah, they're going to fix it. I'm actually sure I'm capable, but 23 grand for a new trailer, they can handle the big stuff. If it was something like a light fixture or door alignment, I'd be okay picking it up. But not that.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
Is not ready to pick up tomorrow like I hoped.

Got a call this morning only about an hour after scheduling to pick up tomorrow, saying that they already pulled it in to get it ready, and found a few things they need to order, so it wouldn't be ready for likely a week.

Bummer. I asked if he knew what they needed to order, he said some decals, and a couple other really minor things.

Then I thought... well, I'm handy... if it's really minor stuff them maybe. If it doesn't void the warranty then maybe I can do my inspection, pick it up if the rest is good, and have them ship me whatever it needs. So I call back, and leave a message explaining that maybe if its minor I can take care of it later otherwise see him in two weeks.

Turns out... he says they saw a bunch of small dings in one of the side panels, so they're going to replace it and all th decals on it.

Bummer.. but I appreciate they found it themselves and were taking care of it right away instead of me packing up loading the family and driving the 4 hours out, spending tonight at a friends cabin half way, only to find the damage.

And I know that I'm probably going to have to look very good at the seams now when I do pick it up.

Anybody else had to get a side panel replace before pickup? Personally I'm okay with it. Yet I'm wondering if that's a think that is worth worrying about?
That's the same camper we have and we love ours. Hopefully they'll replace the panels and you'll never be able to tell.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
I would definitely let them fix that before picking it up. Also, if you do a thorough PDI, which is HIGHLY recommended, you might well find some additional things that they should fix before you take delivery. I wish I had done a more thorough PDI on my new 267BHSW a year ago as there were a couple of things that would have been good to get resolved before me owning the trailer, in particular, a loud popping noise occurring in the slide operation, and a rather serious roof membrane issue I've discussed on another thread on here -- here's a link to that discussion:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ane-61233.html
Had a heck of a time dealing with Jayco to get any level of resolution for the roof issue, but finally at least they approved the dealer to fix it by pulling the trim, lifting the membrane along the edges, then they bent the metal siding over and taped the edge prior to reinstalling the membrane. Knowing what I know now, I would NOT take possession of another trailer without carefully inspecting for the "too high metal siding causing a sharp edge under the roof membrane" issue. Hope this helps.
But the dealer is going to tell you their insurance doesn't allow customers to get on the roof. I had already started climbing the roof ladder and wasn't coming down until I at least could see what could be seen at the top of the ladder .
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
But the dealer is going to tell you their insurance doesn't allow customers to get on the roof. I had already started climbing the roof ladder and wasn't coming down until I at least could see what could be seen at the top of the ladder .
That true? They tell people not to get on the roof?

Ain't know way I'm buying a trailer without seeing the #1 place for leaks. Haha.

No way they're gonna let me getting on the roof come between them getting my 23 grand. Haha. They better let me on the roof.

So far they've been great to talk to.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Thanks, that's something I didn't know. I've been up on my roof a few times now when it was at the dealership - once with a service manager - but only after I officially owned it, so maybe that makes a difference. The issue I had could be inspected from a tall step ladder next to the trailer without actually getting on the roof, but one might well have to bring one's own step ladder for that purpose so not likely to happen. Or maybe their insurance wouldn't even allow that.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote