Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #1

My offer to JOF members

First off, let me apologize because this could get rather lengthy.

I see a lot of posts regarding weights and capabilities of tow vehicles, decisions about upgrading, layouts, comforts, etc...

Unfortunately, you never really know what you are going to be able to live with until you get it and use it. I have first hand knowledge of the woes of upgrading trailers and trucks in a short amount of time.

Unless one rents a trailer (at a very high cost) it is difficult to determine the usefulness and living conditions when you're looking at units in the dealer's lot.

SO, here's my offer:
I have an X23F, it has three expandable beds, slide out, full size fridge, etc...It weighs approximately 4200lbs empty and 6000lbs fully loaded to the gills. Want to know if your tow vehicle can handle something in this weight range then stop on by, hitch up and take it for a tow.

Want to know if it's a good setup (they are all basically similar) for living then borrow it for an overnight - you can even boondock on the family farm.
I also have a 2012 Ram 2500, 5.7 gas.

Want to know how your current trailer would tow with a bigger tow vehicle than the one you currently have? Stop by hook up to my truck and take it for a spin.
A 30 minute round trip drive will take you on a relatively flat highway and another that has two significant hills.

I'm offering this because I feel strongly about the growing pains i've gone through in the past 6 months and the amount of money it has cost me. If I can help others avoid those growing pains then I have something to be proud of...
Old 11-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #2

Wow, what an offer for someone that is close enough to take you up on your offer. We all go through the growing pains and this forum is a good place to learn from. I just hope your generosity doesn't bite you in the arse!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #3

I agree. What a great offer.
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

What a great offer.....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #5

Just a quick note - I am in Roxbury Township New Jersey...
Old 11-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

Not so far away, thanks for the offer. Im in no shape to go bigger for the next year or 2 although that looks like our next camper. How do you think a 1500 would tow it
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #7

I towed the current trailer with a 2011 Ram 1500 quad cab 6'4" bed and the 4.7 engine. Had no problems whatsoever - it handled the trailer fine on the highway and mountain roads. I had an issue with being so close to maximum payload with my family of 5, golden retriever and gear.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #8

This is a very generous offer.... congrats to you are your offer as it is a rare thing these days.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #9

This is the very classiest "Pay It Forward" offers that I have ever seen, kudos to you and your family for your generosity and commitment to this community.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #10

WOW! What a deal. I could never do this for the public. I would be sooooo worried about liability. I feel this is what dealers or for. When we bought our truck last month I told the dealer I wanted to used a used truck he had on the lot to pull our TT about 100 miles or so. He said no problem, but didn't since we went with the Chevy 2500 4x4 Duramax.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #11

I honestly believe the majority of the people out there are willing and able to do the right thing. Most of us JOF have devoted a lot of time and finances to our passion for camping so if someone takes me up on my offer and it results in significant savings for them then it's worth it.

I've read somewhere on this forum that there are or used to be JOF stickers, i'd get a hold of one and gladly slap it on my HTT or TV as an open invitation for other members to stop by to visit and check things out, maybe learn a thing or two in the process.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdanmc View Post
I honestly believe the majority of the people out there are willing and able to do the right thing. Most of us JOF have devoted a lot of time and finances to our passion for camping so if someone takes me up on my offer and it results in significant savings for them then it's worth it.

I've read somewhere on this forum that there are or used to be JOF stickers, i'd get a hold of one and gladly slap it on my HTT or TV as an open invitation for other members to stop by to visit and check things out, maybe learn a thing or two in the process.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...highlight=cafe
check here

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #13

Nice to see that folks are still willing to help out another, and expect nothing in return except a smile and handshake.

Should anyone want to know what it's like to pull a hybrid with a Ford Ranger, I'd offer that service too. You won't break any land speed records (but who wants to when pulling a camper), but it works, and I can prove it.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #14

I am impressed with the offer .... Nice to think there are people out there that trust others with their equipment ... I love the idea of someone being able to try something out before buying it and it is the only true way to know what it is like to use it or pull it.... That being said the next best thing is to be as well informed about what your thinking before the purchase. I too have learned by the school of buy it then fill the pulling need or buy it and realize there are things you wish you had thought about that present themselves after you take it and begin to live in it for a weekend or a week. Now I have gone so big with camper if it doesn't have what I need I am in trouble lol. Also needs change as you get older and the kids get older and then grand kids come along. One thing I have really liked about this forum is a lot of folks who have camped and found the pitfalls are willing to benefit others with their vast knowledge base. That's one thing you won't get at a car dealer or camper dealer .... Thanks for showing us a trust that is rare nowadays
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #15

^^^ This is why I like this site too!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote