Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #1

My worse fear.

I winterized my fifth wheel several weeks ago at the family farm and while at it I put several bounce sheets in cupboards and under the sink area.

My neighbour just left for the south about a week ago and when he picked up his MH from the storage area he found an infestation of mice. I then went out and bought some mouse poison that come in small packs that don't have to be opened as the varmints will do the job themselves.

I attended the farm yesterday and found that critters had somehow got in my rig and droppings were found in a couple of drawers. I had put steel wool in any cracks that I could find so have no idea where they are getting in. My brother-in-law says that mice are very bad this year and the farm cats are not doing their job!!!!

I hope this poison will at least get rid of any usual suspects that have managed to infiltrate my home away from home.

Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
I winterized my fifth wheel several weeks ago at the family farm and while at it I put several bounce sheets in cupboards and under the sink area.

My neighbour just left for the south about a week ago and when he picked up his MH from the storage area he found an infestation of mice. I then went out and bought some mouse poison that come in small packs that don't have to be opened as the varmints will do the job themselves.

I attended the farm yesterday and found that critters had somehow got in my rig and droppings were found in a couple of drawers. I had put steel wool in any cracks that I could find so have no idea where they are getting in. My brother-in-law says that mice are very bad this year and the farm cats are not doing their job!!!!

I hope this poison will at least get rid of any usual suspects that have managed to infiltrate my home away from home.
What do the bounce sheets do?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #3

I guess it's one of the old wives tales. They say if you use Bounce sheets, or mothballs, or cloves,that mice don't like it and leave. I can tell you the mothballs don't work or at least not up here.
I was concerned that the mouse poison would make the unit stink after a fashion but was assured that they dry up fairly fast and leave no odour.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

I hate those meeses to pieces. They can do a lot of damage, even eating the insulation around electrical wires. I have given up trying to keep them out. When the temp drops, they come in, and I set traps to kill em. Eventually, they are all killed, and all is well for the rest of the winter.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #5

I live in the NorthEast- so temps drop fast and mice explore early and to date- Bounce sheets and mothballs are golden. I found that plugging in ultrasonic mice/rodent electric outlets also helps as well as setting several traps to catch them "cold". I am also going to sprinkle rodents repel around the outside once it is in the fair ground storage building along with mothballs. As much as it might sound as over kill- Dryer sheets- 240 sheets for $8, mothballs- box for $4.50, rodent ultrasonics (one time investment) - 4 for $16, mouse traps (quick set reusable/one time investment) 3 for $9, mouse repel- $7.....for a grand total of apx. 45.00 for the first season followed by apx. 19.5 yearly. Cheap money in the long run. Oh yeah, the ultasonics are for pre-storage- used until the very last minute.

Another point people miss all the time- setting your Trailer on grass or near bushes or trees increases the potential greatly. If you plan on storing in those locations, try waiting to the last possible moment- allowing mice to already "bunk" down elsewhere.

So.....keeping that all in mind, and minus Murphy's Law- I feel fairly confident. Okay, still a bit nervous!
mtkeg15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #6

I also store my RV on a family farm. With the popup I never worried much about mice and never had a problem. Now that I made the investment in a new RV I am concerned. I'm hopeful that no problems in the past will lead to no problems now. My Uncle keeps his 5th wheel there as well and has had no issues. Maybe because we park them near a pole barn that provides easier access and partial heat for the mice? I will definately try the dryer sheet idea do they have to be bounce brand or will a store brand suffice?
RedWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #7

I swear by bounce.....a little more expensive but the scent lasts and is stronger. Try using the mothballs around the tires and hitch......and try traps or poison also. What it comes down to is how much is too much. In my books, there is never too much. I like the idea of the poision as it dries them out fast, but who knows where they may crawl. I will set up some traps (easy set) and put cardboard under them so when they bleed out it will by on that on not the floor or rug. I also as I said above will use the rodent repel. Hell, if I had my way I would let owls live on my roof.
mtkeg15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #8

This is our first year with the Jayco. Last year, we stored our small travel trailer inside. This year, the dealer we bought the Jayco from is storing it. Its going to be on a field at the back end of the dealer lot.

I used MOST of the 240 sheets of Bouce that I bought. Ted put them in all of the closets, I sprinkled more on the floor around the bed and the sofa. I also tucked the Bouce sheets inside the fold away bed on underneath and on top of the mattress as well as in between the sofa cushions.

The dealer is pulling our unit out on Tuesday and I'll be there on Wednesday to check it out. I was thinking about getting the mouse poison in the packets. I don't know what it is called but we found some behind the sofa. Its from the previous owners. Out unit is in pretty good condition for an 8 year old trailer so I am thinking that those packets help as well.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesigneRx View Post
This is our first year with the Jayco. Last year, we stored our small travel trailer inside. This year, the dealer we bought the Jayco from is storing it. Its going to be on a field at the back end of the dealer lot.

I used MOST of the 240 sheets of Bouce that I bought. Ted put them in all of the closets, I sprinkled more on the floor around the bed and the sofa. I also tucked the Bouce sheets inside the fold away bed on underneath and on top of the mattress as well as in between the sofa cushions.

The dealer is pulling our unit out on Tuesday and I'll be there on Wednesday to check it out. I was thinking about getting the mouse poison in the packets. I don't know what it is called but we found some behind the sofa. Its from the previous owners. Out unit is in pretty good condition for an 8 year old trailer so I am thinking that those packets help as well.
I hope you are right about those packets, the Bounce sheets didn't seem to do the trick although I was only able to use what sheets I had left.

My 5th wheel is out at the family farm and is not that convenient for me to check out as often as I would like, so I must get out there and check it again in the next couple of weeks.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
I hope you are right about those packets, the Bounce sheets didn't seem to do the trick although I was only able to use what sheets I had left.

My 5th wheel is out at the family farm and is not that convenient for me to check out as often as I would like, so I must get out there and check it again in the next couple of weeks.
Just USE the RV .... head S for the winter... we still have a few places left here at Slab City... lots of Alberta people out my east window.

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote