Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #1

Navigation

What navigation system/device do you use in your motorhome? I was planning to use my 10" tablet and Waze but it's going to be very expensive data-wise.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

We travel a lot in the US and using roaming with our Canadian carriers would bankrupt us so we don't use cell based navigation.

We really like the Garmin RV based systems. You punch in the dimensions on your rig and it will warn you of low bridges, sharp turns etc. and guides you to approved RV routes. Don't trust it 100% yet, but it has been pretty accurate with regards to low bridges etc. It also makes it easy to find campgrounds, RV repair shops and other RV specific POI's (points of interest) I decided to go with a Kenwood in dash system which runs the Garmin software as well as controls my music so it mutes the music when Garmin is giving directions.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #3

Great advise. I'll research.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

We are using the Garmin RV portable nav.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-RV-660...ords=garmin+rv

So far I like it. The lifetime free maps is a great bonus over the in dash units that require paid updates.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #5

I use a Garmin RV portable unit and have no complaints. As stated the free lifetime map updates is great.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

Thanks SouthCo!

Old 02-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

I use my smartphone (Galaxy 7) with a Scosche mount on the windshield and Google Maps. I have in the past used 2 Garmins (one still installed in DW's car) the TomTom app, and Waze.

With google maps if you know where you will be going, you can download relevant maps to your device while on WiFi to cut down on data charges. But I have a pretty robust data package, and only get charged $5 a day to roam in the US (another Canadian here) with the same data/voice/text limits, so don't worry about it too much.

The reason I keep going back to google is the touring side of it. Garmin/TomTom are great if you know where you are going. But we take "side excursions" all the time, and if you google something interesting from the interstate, you can just bring it straight up in maps and navigate. Also, google seems to find tons more points of interest than the others; if you can find it in a regular google search, you can get there.

Tried Waze for speed trap spotting, but quickly realised it doesn't actually work. People who report have to punch a button on their device to indicate a cop is there. At highway speeds, they are a mile or two past the location by the time they do this. So the darn thing kept warning me of a speed trap ahead while I was right beside the LEO. The wayfinding around traffic congestion was pretty good, but again, it couldn't find a darn thing in the way of points of interest.

So my vote after trying it all is google maps.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #8

Thanks bankr63

Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #9

I don't have the RV model, but I've had 2 Garmin Nuvis for my cars, and I wouldn't leave home without it. My Nuvi 1490 lives on the dash of my F-150. It's old, but with lifetime maps and a traffic receiver, it's always as close to being up to date as is possible. I also use Garmin GPS receivers for golf and hiking. The only reason I don't still have my original Garmin is because it didn't do multi stop routing, and I wanted that for planning vacation trips. Now that stands me in good stead for camping trips.

I researched GPS's more than 10 years ago when the most common options were Magellan, TomTom, and Garmin, and Garmin won hands down. I've stuck with it because it has never really let me down. That doesn't mean that it's always spot on. You still have to keep your head in the game, because the maps CAN have errors. Usually small, but I've driven into a farmyard that the GPS thought was a through county road.

The errors are few and far between when you consider the sheer quantity of data that goes into mapping. When you drive down in detail to county roads and country lanes, they rely a lot on satellite views, and a long, well defined farm track along the edge of a field can look like the county road that actually dead ends or turns right or left from there.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #10

Garmin seems to be a favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #11

As one who has had two TomToms and one Magellan, I would highly recommend the Garmin because the two previously mentioned, suck. The TomTom crapped itself on the 3rd day of a 21 day trip. The Magellan, purchased to replace the TomTom, offered free maps upgrades for life and would update up to four times a year. So far, it has only had two updates in nearly three years. Magellan customer service was less helpful than their GPS device. Their reviews are also less than stellar.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #12

Thanks Murff

Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
Garmin seems to be a favorite. Thanks for sharing.

And in a purchased GPS, Garmin gets my vote too. I liked both of my Garmins and wouldn't have considered anything else until my car was broken into and my Garmin was stolen at about 1 year old. I liked almost everything about them, the last one I had was a 760LMT if memory serves. Only two quibbles I had with it; 1) despite being a "learning" model, it never learned the way I like to get out of my neighbourhood to the highway (sending me on a slow main street through 4 lights, when through the hood had 1 stop and 1 light) and 2) the "recalculating" seems to get more strident every time you ignore one of her directions.

One suggestion though. Since you already have the tablet, why not try the free solution first? Well, maybe buy a Scosche mount (WalMart) to keep it clean. If it doesn't work out, then spring a couple of hundred bills for the Garmin.

Oh, one other benefit for google maps. You can pre-plan your trip on your computer, or bring your tablet inside, and then transfer to the table, or take the tablet back outside. My Garmin lived in the car. Actually that is why I use my phone - same size as the Garmin, but I never forget it in the car to be stolen.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #14

I do not recommend using a regular car GPS or google maps for PRIMARY GPS travel. I have heard too many horror stories of folks with rigs getting sent down a back road or someplace where there is a bridge too low for your rig to fit under, or weight restrictions, then, it becomes very difficult to get turned around.

I have been using the Garmin RV 760LMT Portable GPS Navigator for 3 years now and love it. It also gives me traffic information as well. It also tells you what is ahead as far as POI,s, Gas / Fuel stations, restaurants...etc. You can set your rig specifications in and it will prevent you from going where you do not want to go.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT.../dp/B00CZ6WFXM

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #15

I am old school and like my atlas and also am a huge fan of the travel aid book called "The Next Exit" which shows everything you need to know including restaurants and petro stations!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #16

It's Garmin for us too. We have three of them and never any issues:
1. RV760 LMT in the truck - 4 years old
2. Nuvi in DW's car - 2 years old
3. Cycling unit on my bicycle - 6 years and several hundred miles of use
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
We travel a lot in the US and using roaming with our Canadian carriers would bankrupt us so we don't use cell based navigation.

We really like the Garmin RV based systems. You punch in the dimensions on your rig and it will warn you of low bridges, sharp turns etc. and guides you to approved RV routes. Don't trust it 100% yet, but it has been pretty accurate with regards to low bridges etc. It also makes it easy to find campgrounds, RV repair shops and other RV specific POI's (points of interest) I decided to go with a Kenwood in dash system which runs the Garmin software as well as controls my music so it mutes the music when Garmin is giving directions.
What he said.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #18

Navigation

Buncha techno weenies! - prefer a sextant, star chart, Bowditch, compass and MAYBE check a Rand-McNally occasionally. OK, OK, I confess - I also consult "America's Best Watering Holes" as well. Sorry y'all couldn't resist; however, not ALL I mentioned was tongue in cheek.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #19

Thank you all for your help, it was first rate. BTY, we ordered a Garmin RV 760 mlt this morning.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #20

I am thinking about making a cross country trip next fall (Just thinking! Kind of a big deal for me and my dogs to do alone!) and while researching routes, etc. I happened upon thelearningbanks.com. They posted an article called "9 Awesome Trip Planning Apps" where they mention lowclearances.com (just one of the topics discussed). They use this in conjunction with their Garmin, Google Earth, Good Sam Trip Planner, etc., because apparently even the Garmin RV doesn't identify all.

Most of you may be familiar with everything they talk about (they are full timers and sounds like they are constantly on the road) but they have a lot of good advice learned from experience. I'd be sticking to major highways but still, running into a bridge too low would be high up on my list of scenarios I'd want to avoid )

KAHONEYS I didn't see a mention of Next Exits but I'm adding that to my list.
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote