Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2022, 06:51 PM   #21
RPR

Florida does not need to. With the sales taxes on the high prices campgrounds there are charging.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartandMillie View Post
That is when she told me that if my fiver was there on January 1, I would get charged the tax for the entire year. She told it doesn't matter if I the unit was there for one day or 365, I would be charged for the entire year. We had a pleasant conversation, after all, she is only doing her job. But I still find it ridiculous. Among other things.
You need to find someone to move it for you on Dec 31 and bring it back on Jan 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Florida does not need to. With the sales taxes on the high prices campgrounds there are charging.
Depends on where you are and how long you're there. Seasonal rates are much better than daily and that is what MartandMillie is talking about.

I'm 8 miles from WDW and most lots rent out at $1,100/$1,200 a month with cable and some include elec for the winter. Also if you rent for 6 months or more there is no tax.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #23
RPR

Interesting
Attached Thumbnails
1A4CD618-6093-454B-8398-DC5B12CEAF9E.jpg  
Old 08-09-2022, 07:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Interesting
I thought it was 6 so 3 is even better. I own my lot so I really didn't follow it much.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:31 PM   #25

Well the good news!

We know where we WILL NOT BE going this year! Thanks for the heads up!!!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:26 AM   #26

Quote:
I am a Florida resident, and I purchased a Jayco 5th wheel which I of course titled and registered in Florida. I have been keeping the fiver in a park in North Carolina; sometimes we just go stay there a few days, sometimes I will hook up and take a trip to another part of the country. It has worked out great not towing from Florida, because nearly everywhere we go is farther north. I recently got a letter from the county the RV park is located in that they are charging me a personal property tax for the fiver. This doesn't seem right; I don't work in NC, I am a Florida resident, and the RV is registered in Florida and has a Florida tag. Has anybody run into this issue? And if so how did you resolve it?
How much is the bill for. If not too much might be easier just to pay it.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Winngray, for right now, but that is changing shortly. When i talked to the nice lady that handles this at the tax office, she told me that if you are there on 1/1 yuo get taxed for the whole year, they won't pro-rate it. So conceivably, someone could come in and camp for a week in January there and get nailed for a personal property tax for the whole year!
Our park is closed for 6 months. No water, power or cable so those that leave their rigs here pay a storage fee and have to winterize their rigs or have someone do it. It seems that the same rules would apply whether it was open or not. It did when we were at Pride Resort just down the road. They were open year round and the tax consequences were the same. There may be some rules if you are just passing thru on the 1 st of the year. I would follow up with authorities and the CG if that 1 week applies to you.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:32 AM   #28

Quote:
... But I still find it ridiculous. ...
To the extent there is no justification for it, it is ridiculous.

If I understand the thread correctly you could arrive on January 2nd and depart December 31st and not owe any tax. Is that correct?
OnTheGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:48 AM   #29
Lost in the Woods

FYI too, NC has a toll free number you can call if you have any personal property such as jewelry, gold bullion, coin collection, precious metal tooth fillings, etc., which the county tax assessor may have missed. Not making this up.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
To the extent there is no justification for it, it is ridiculous.

If I understand the thread correctly you could arrive on January 2nd and depart December 31st and not owe any tax. Is that correct?
Correct
Old 08-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjam View Post
How much is the bill for. If not too much might be easier just to pay it.
She estimated that it would be around $250, and I will probably just wind up paying it. But it bugs me because I'm sure that is the route they hope that you take.

Norty1, I see you are from South Carolina, where I think they do the personal property tax thing also in conjunction with your yearly registration. So if you leave your rig in North Carolina, do you run into this issue and pay the tax in North Carolina also?
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
She estimated that it would be around $250, and I will probably just wind up paying it. But it bugs me because I'm sure that is the route they hope that you take.

Norty1, I see you are from South Carolina, where I think they do the personal property tax thing also in conjunction with your yearly registration. So if you leave your rig in North Carolina, do you run into this issue and pay the tax in North Carolina also?
We are here for 3 months but not over the New Years. If I stored it here over the winter I am sure we would be subject to it just as others are describing. We use our rig year round so hopefully it will not be a problem for some time.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:08 PM   #33
shw

Had the same issue here where I store the RV- resident of Florida also. In the state of X they sent me a property tax bill for state X. I talked to the storage owner-and they said that the tax person comes around each December to see who is registered for a storage space and sends out tax bills. BUT-if your RV is not there when tax man comes-you check out and cancel your space-no tax. Then re-enter a storage lease for the next year-but remember to stop your lease before the tax person comes—the storage owner usually knows when they come- your all set. Just have to pull the RV out of the lot for a couple of days. Camp somewhere and your legal then return for another 11 months.
Sw
shw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #34

Quote:
I am a Florida resident, and I purchased a Jayco 5th wheel which I of course titled and registered in Florida. I have been keeping the fiver in a park in North Carolina; sometimes we just go stay there a few days, sometimes I will hook up and take a trip to another part of the country. It has worked out great not towing from Florida, because nearly everywhere we go is farther north. I recently got a letter from the county the RV park is located in that they are charging me a personal property tax for the fiver. This doesn't seem right; I don't work in NC, I am a Florida resident, and the RV is registered in Florida and has a Florida tag. Has anybody run into this issue? And if so how did you resolve it?
Don’t pay it. They have no authority over you as a FL resident. They can’t suspend your license. What are they going to do? If it was federal, I would be worried especially with the new 87,000 new armed agents.
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:34 PM   #35
CAG

Is it just me or are some posts in this thread giving instructions on how to violate the law?

Is that allowed here?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:09 PM   #36
RPR

Just a few things to think about if the tax man comes knocking.
1. Do you owe money on your RV and are you claiming it as a second home so you can claim the interest when you file your taxes? If so you may be subject to tax laws where that RV is parked for a period of time.
2. Do you own the site it is parked on?
3. With the computer systems today they can access nation wide a lot of info on anyone.
4. Cost to fight not to pay.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Is it just me or are some posts in this thread giving instructions on how to violate the law?
No, they're not. There is no "spirit" of the law to violate. It's black and white. Work within the law, and you're not violating the law.

Concepts such as "move out" then "move back in" are no different than the "loop holes" rich people can legally avail themselves of regarding tax laws.

And since it's legal to do, the label "loop hole" is a red herring, emotionally stirring phrase, that I think is inappropriate when discussing the pros and cons of any given law or rule because it gets away from the analytical analysis. That's not to pick on anyone using the phrase here. It's hard enough to figure some things out without making the water muddy/muddier.

Quote:
Is that allowed here?
I don't know. But I would think discussing ILLEGAL actions would not be, whereas discussing LEGAL actions would not be.

Just my 2 cents.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #38
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerbug View Post
Don’t pay it. They have no authority over you as a FL resident. They can’t suspend your license. What are they going to do? If it was federal, I would be worried especially with the new 87,000 new armed agents.
If you're in NC then you're subject to the laws of that State regardless where your residency may be. But don't take my word for it, go leadfooting across NC on I-40 sometime and don't pullover when you get lit up because you got an out of State tag.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #39
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
No, they're not. There is no "spirit" of the law to violate. It's black and white. Work within the law, and you're not violating the law.

Concepts such as "move out" then "move back in" are no different than the "loop holes" rich people can legally avail themselves of regarding tax laws.

And since it's legal to do, the label "loop hole" is a red herring, emotionally stirring phrase, that I think is inappropriate when discussing the pros and cons of any given law or rule because it gets away from the analytical analysis. That's not to pick on anyone using the phrase here. It's hard enough to figure some things out without making the water muddy/muddier.

I don't know. But I would think discussing ILLEGAL actions would not be, whereas discussing LEGAL actions would not be.

Just my 2 cents.
What? “Analytical analysis”? “Discussing ILLEGAL actions would not be, whereas discussing LEGAL actions would not be” ?? LOL

Violating law does not involve the “spirit” of the law, it involves intent. Trying to determine “spirit” involves trying to determine what the people drafting the law had in mind. Reading minds is a little difficult at best. Intent is difficult to prove but spirit is mostly impossible.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #40
Lost in the Woods

Is there a law against leaving NC with your RV on Dec. 31st and returning with your RV on Jan 2nd? Seems clear, if your personal property is in NC on Jan 1st it gets reported and taxed, if it isn't, then it doesn't get reported and therefore doesn't get taxed.