Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #41

I spend my summers in Vermont. I'm a South Dakota full timer, registered and tagged. The first two years we left our fiver on our site. South hero would come into the park the day after we, the resort, closes and log every non-cottage nonpark model into their book and you would get a bill from South hero for personal property. We decided to move the fiver up to their storage facility and didn't have to pay a dime. We did that for a couple years. Now I just drive back and forth.
tljwYaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
What? “Analytical analysis”? “Discussing ILLEGAL actions would not be, whereas discussing LEGAL actions would not be” ?? LOL
Yeah I guess I had one too many NOTs there to the question of does the forum allow discussing... .
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #43
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Is there a law against leaving NC with your RV on Dec. 31st and returning with your RV on Jan 2nd? Seems clear, if your personal property is in NC on Jan 1st it gets reported and taxed, if it isn't, then it doesn't get reported and therefore doesn't get taxed.
As I said Intent. Was your intent to go on a trip (truthfully) or move it to avoid being taxed? A judge would probably say you broke the law if your intent was to avoid being taxed. Seem pretty clear to me too.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #44

We live in Montana, no sales tax here but we do have property taxes. We see lots of RV’s and Boats running around our highways and waterways that were purchased here and licensed in Texas.
Jml54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #45

Quote:
As I said Intent. Was your intent to go on a trip (truthfully) or move it to avoid being taxed? A judge would probably say you broke the law if your intent was to avoid being taxed. Seem pretty clear to me too.
Intent does not matter if the legal question is "were you here" on this day. If you're here at 00:01am on the day, then you owe the tax.

Why you leave before then doesn't matter. The "why you left" I think you're talking about is the "intent" you want to talk about.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jml54 View Post
We live in Montana, no sales tax here but we do have property taxes. We see lots of RV’s and Boats running around our highways and waterways that were purchased here and licensed in Texas.
Yep Escapees, which is based in Texas, has a way for members to register them there. I know several who do that.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #47
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Yep Escapees, which is based in Texas, has a way for members to register them there. I know several who do that.
That was my point with the earlier post that RVers are some of the worst about violating registration laws. In the end that only cheats the residents of that state out of revenue so other state taxes go up to cover that loss. You saved $200 in a registration fee and your income tax, sales tax, whatever went up to cover that loss.

Old 08-14-2022, 02:09 PM   #48

There are several large RV/Boat dealers here that cater to that clientele.
Jml54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #49

Quote:
That was my point with the earlier post that RVers are some of the worst about violating registration laws. In the end that only cheats the residents of that state out of revenue so other state taxes go up to cover that loss. You saved $200 in a registration fee and your income tax, sales tax, whatever went up to cover that loss.
It’s a tax penalty for owning an RV. For example, if I sell my RV to someone in another state, who will pay the $1,100 in taxes that I have been paying???

I’m selling my 22’ pontoon boat because of the amount of personal property tax every year. I get two tax bills. One for the boat and one for the 115hp motor. $1200 a year. It’s assessed value is about $38k.

The ladies at the tax office told me to have 12+ year old boats and RVs. Then the tax burden is bearable.

Penalty for buying new.
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Somebody better tell the maritime industry then. Ain't a ship ever been built in Liberia, but look at the port of registry on every other ship unloading at any port in America.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #51
CAG

Quote:
Somebody better tell the maritime industry then. Ain't a ship ever been built in Liberia, but look at the port of registry on every other ship unloading at any port in America.
Where have you been? LOL That has been a point of contention with US Coast Guard, Law Enforcement, and taxation for the last 30+ years. Our government fails to take action because the dump millions into various congress people’s election funds.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:39 PM   #52
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Where have you been? LOL That has been a point of contention with US Coast Guard, Law Enforcement, and taxation for the last 30+ years. Our government fails to take action because the dump millions into various congress people’s election funds.
How many points of contention add up to foreign registry being illegal?
Old 08-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #53

I have 4 boats, an RV, a classic car and 3 regular vehicle, plus lots of expensive stuff.

I was offered a significant promotion and a huge raise, but I had to move to NC. When I heard about the personal property tax (and the high house prices), I told the boss to stick it and I stayed where I was.

People complain about high taxes and such, and you should move to XX or wherever, but then when you find out about the nitpicking, it just ain't right.

If you're poor, OK. If you have expensive "stuff", better read the fine print.

Oh yeah, and we do't have hurricanes either.....
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:11 PM   #54

Quote:
They're not built in the US either. All our shipyards build for the NAVY. That is also why all the Cruise Ships are foreign flagged. Most of those come out out Italy or Germany.

Per the Jones Act.

The ships must be U.S.-built, U.S.-owned and U.S.-flagged, and 75 percent of the crew must be comprised of U.S. citizens.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:18 AM   #55
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
They're not built in the US either. All our shipyards build for the NAVY. That is also why all the Cruise Ships are foreign flagged. Most of those come out out Italy or Germany.

Per the Jones Act.

The ships must be U.S.-built, U.S.-owned and U.S.-flagged, and 75 percent of the crew must be comprised of U.S. citizens.
And that's contextual to what? Point was ships fly flags of convenience just as RV owners ( especially fulltimers) sometimes register their rigs where it's convenient.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #56

Quote:
And that's contextual to what? Point was ships fly flags of convenience just as RV owners ( especially fulltimers) sometimes register their rigs where it's convenient.
Unless a ship is owned and manned by Americans it can't be US flagged so how is flying a foreign flag on a non US ship being considered "convenience"?

There are ships that are US flagged. Maersk MLL has some, they are a US company based in VA. Just like Norwegian Cruise Lina has a US flagged ship, the hull was built in the US.

As I said originally we don't have the capacity in the country to build many of the ships since their main focus is for the US Navy and Coast Guard. Others are limited in what size ship they can build.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:22 PM   #57
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Unless a ship is owned and manned by Americans it can't be US flagged so how is flying a foreign flag on a non US ship being considered "convenience"?

There are ships that are US flagged. Maersk MLL has some, they are a US company based in VA. Just like Norwegian Cruise Lina has a US flagged ship, the hull was built in the US.

As I said originally we don't have the capacity in the country to build many of the ships since their main focus is for the US Navy and Coast Guard. Others are limited in what size ship they can build.
flag of con•ven•ience
noun
flags of convenience • plural noun

a flag of convenience under which a ship is registered to avoid financial charges or restrictive regulations in the owners country

Hope that helps and as this has gone off the rails, moving on.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:09 PM   #58

I’m also a Florida resident. I looked into this years ago and basically it comes down to where the RV or boat is going to be used. That state wants its money.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC757 View Post
I’m also a Florida resident. I looked into this years ago and basically it comes down to where the RV or boat is going to be used. That state wants its money.
I bought rural camping property. Awesome place. Then I bought an RV. I had no intention of ever driving it anywhere, but I had it licensed anyway.

I got a letter from the town assessor upgrading my property from "abandoned farm" to Mobile Home". I showed him the registration and plate and he said OK. I year later he came back and said since it didn't move in that time, we now owned a mobile home.

The taxes only went up $20 a year, but I thought it was the principal of the thing.

Then a neighbor built a cabin and his taxes went up hundreds. So, I didn't feel too bad. Since then we have added 2 more trailers for our sons and the assessment has not gone up again.

Gotta love those bright red counties.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:21 AM   #60

So is this for an RV that's been at the site for a certain amount of time, like a seasonal site or storage?

Or are you saying that if we go camping for a week over New Years (say arrive 12/26 and depart 1/2) and drive home with our trailer they send us a tax bill if the assessor happened to drop by while we were there camping?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote