Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #1

NC Personal Property Tax

I am a Florida resident, and I purchased a Jayco 5th wheel which I of course titled and registered in Florida. I have been keeping the fiver in a park in North Carolina; sometimes we just go stay there a few days, sometimes I will hook up and take a trip to another part of the country. It has worked out great not towing from Florida, because nearly everywhere we go is farther north. I recently got a letter from the county the RV park is located in that they are charging me a personal property tax for the fiver. This doesn't seem right; I don't work in NC, I am a Florida resident, and the RV is registered in Florida and has a Florida tag. Has anybody run into this issue? And if so how did you resolve it?
MartandMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartandMillie View Post
I am a Florida resident, and I purchased a Jayco 5th wheel which I of course titled and registered in Florida. I have been keeping the fiver in a park in North Carolina; sometimes we just go stay there a few days, sometimes I will hook up and take a trip to another part of the country. It has worked out great not towing from Florida, because nearly everywhere we go is farther north. I recently got a letter from the county the RV park is located in that they are charging me a personal property tax for the fiver. This doesn't seem right; I don't work in NC, I am a Florida resident, and the RV is registered in Florida and has a Florida tag. Has anybody run into this issue? And if so how did you resolve it?
If you have a valid registration and you are renting the lot all you should need to do is send them a copy of your DL, FW registration and rent receipt.

If you own the lot in NC then that would be an issue.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Team

Seems like I have heard that if the rig is on the NC lot on Jan 1st, they will bill you personal property tax. I am currently in a park in W. NC where many rigs are licensed in another state but are left here year round.

I will ask a few here that are in that situation and see what they say.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:11 AM   #4

same thing happened to a neighbor when i was long terming in a RV Park in Loomis, Ca back in 2018. Turns out, (in California anyway) RV parks are required to report vehicle license information to the state for long term rentals including storage. The state in return goes after those that are not registered in the State.. Can't say what i want too, but welcome to taxation
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:12 AM   #5

I would appreciate that, Norty1. Grumpy, that's what I thought too, but I called the Haywood County property appraiser and could not get a straight answer. I can't locate a phone number for the state department of revenue office that deals with personal property issues, if there is such an office.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I would appreciate that, Norty1. Grumpy, that's what I thought too, but I called the Haywood County property appraiser and could not get a straight answer. I can't locate a phone number for the state department of revenue office that deals with personal property issues, if there is such an office.
I'm at Cross Creek RV Park in Maggie. Haywood county.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-09-2022, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
same thing happened to a neighbor when i was long terming in a RV Park in Loomis, Ca back in 2018. Turns out, (in California anyway) RV parks are required to report vehicle license information to the state for long term rentals including storage. The state in return goes after those that are not registered in the State.. Can't say what i want too, but welcome to taxation
I can see any state doing that to be sure the out of state registrations belong to out of state residents/renters. That is probably what the OP has run into.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
I live in NC, and as someone mentioned, Come January 1, if you are in NC, they will try to get money from you. In your case, you should be able to get out of it. We had a 41' sport fishing boat for years, and around mid-October, we would run it up the intercoastal and the house away from prying eyes. The boat was registered in Delaware, but they don't care. Smaller boats, or any boat registered in NC, they don't have to chase you lol. Our RV, same story, registered here. The marina, in your case, the RV park, is responsible for notifying the state who's there on that date. Years ago, I bought a 4wheeler in Ohio as the deal was that good, and of course no sales tax. Was not aware Ohio notified NC of such sales, so sales tax had to be paid later AND a penalty for being a tax cheat according to them.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Talked with the cg owner. He says the county comes by and he has to have a list of each rig that is here on the 1st of the year. The county computes and sends a tax bill to the owner. No matter if it's out of state. The park is closed after the end of October until May 1st.
This was the same policy at our last park in the same county.

Just like personal property at home, it's computed on the value of the rig.

I believe you would need to talk to a county assessor rather than a state office. This is handled by county authorities.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-09-2022, 01:20 PM   #10
RPR

Wonder if the thinking behind this policy is that it is considered a second home?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Wonder if the thinking behind this policy is that it is considered a second home?
In my county in SC, we fill out a form which gets an additional discount on our rigs pp taxes, as a 2nd home.

Providing of course you already own one.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-09-2022, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Talked with the cg owner. He says the county comes by and he has to have a list of each rig that is here on the 1st of the year. The county computes and sends a tax bill to the owner. No matter if it's out of state. The park is closed after the end of October until May 1st.
This was the same policy at our last park in the same county.

Just like personal property at home, it's computed on the value of the rig.

I believe you would need to talk to a county assessor rather than a state office. This is handled by county authorities.
Thanks for checking on that, I appreciate it. I will likely just go ahead and pay the bill once I get it (which is probably what they are counting on) but it kind of burns me up. My state doesn't have a personal property tax, but I still have to pay a hefty registration fee every year as well as the 7% sales tax when I registered it the first time. The campground owner is already paying real estate taxes. I guess if I did live in another state that had personal property tax, I would have to pay it twice, to both states. Doesn't seem right.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:28 PM   #13
Site Team

Which park are in?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-09-2022, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Which park are in?
Winngray, for right now, but that is changing shortly. When i talked to the nice lady that handles this at the tax office, she told me that if you are there on 1/1 yuo get taxed for the whole year, they won't pro-rate it. So concievably, someone could come in and camp for a week in January there and get nailed for a personal property tax for the whole year!
Old 08-09-2022, 05:26 PM   #15
CAG

This is probably going to start a firefight but RVers are notoriously bad about cheating states out of license plate fees or personal property taxes. People who live in Arizona (high license fees but no personal property tax) license their high end RVs in Oregon because of low license plate fees. So an RV or boat with Oregon plates get the notice of state enforcement people. Some license in Montana or Wyoming, I can’t recall which for the same reason.

Bottom line is if you are trying to cheat the system and get caught you may be charged back fees and penalties. I don’t make the rues so don’t rag on me but it that is you well you may get caught and pay.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
This is probably going to start a firefight but RVers are notoriously bad about cheating states out of license plate fees or personal property taxes. People who live in Arizona (high license fees but no personal property tax) license their high end RVs in Oregon because of low license plate fees. So an RV or boat with Oregon plates get the notice of state enforcement people. Some license in Montana or Wyoming, I can’t recall which for the same reason.

Bottom line is if you are trying to cheat the system and get caught you may be charged back fees and penalties. I don’t make the rues so don’t rag on me but it that is you well you may get caught and pay.
I live in Forida, I am a Florida resident, last year I spent about ten days in North Carolina. Did you read the thread? Not trying to cheat anybody out of anything, I just think that their collection system is somewhat punitive and onerous.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:23 PM   #17
CAG

Quote:
I live in Forida, I am a Florida resident, last year I spent about ten days in North Carolina. Did you read the thread? Not trying to cheat anybody out of anything, I just think that their collection system is somewhat punitive and onerous.
I read it and it is simply an observation. Don’t get your xxxxxxx in a bunch!

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Personally I would sent them a copy of your DL, Vehicle registration and rent receipt and a note that you are not a NC resident before I would pay them and see what the response is.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Personally I would sent them a copy of your DL, Vehicle registration and rent receipt and a note that you are not a NC resident before I would pay them and see what the response is.
I tried that. When I got the letter advising of their intent to tax me, I reponded with an email to the woman named as the Personal Property Appraiser, and attached those items you mentioned to the email. I got no response after a week or so, so I called her. That is when she told me that if my fiver was there on January 1, I would get charged the tax for the entire year. She told it doesn't matter if I the unit was there for one day or 365, I would be charged for the entire year. We had a pleasant conversation, after all, she is only doing her job. But I still find it ridiculous. Among other things.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:37 PM   #20

Can you imagine the uproar if Florida decided to start taxing every out-of-state RV that is here on January 1 of every year? Maybe we should.