Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #11

As others have said, use Tow/Haul. I always try to go down a hill in the same gear it took to get up.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #12

Just take it slow and easy. Use your tow/haul feature and apply the brakes when speed and rpm's start to build to much. Don't worry about people behind you and speed up because of them. They can pass you, or if there is a turn out, you can pull over and stop to let them go. Don't let them hurry you along.
As far as drilled and slotted rotors, slotted is fine, but I would never have drilled rotors again. They can and will break eventually. Myself, I just stick with regular OEM rotors, and haven't had any issues with them. I live in the Colorado Rockies and pull up and down 7% to 10% grades on a regular basis.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #13

I know all the roads in the area and you'll be fine - guys in 18-wheelers go through Banff all the time and Waterton is actually pretty flat - it's down in a valley bottom. If you were taking Logan's Pass in Glacier National Park (MT) or the Icefield highway between Banff and Jasper, that requires a bit more attention
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #14

We're in Golden just west of you in MB. Same trailer as you, F350, tow every weekend to the Okanagan or down to Nelson in west kootenays..basically mtns every weekend. Use the tow/haul to hold you back, use the brakes to bring your speed/rpms back down every so often when you need to and it will be fine. Like some one said don't worry about the people behind you, they will find a way around you. Nice and easy is the way to do it.
Webeskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #15

I don't think you need to worry about it as there arn't any big hill going to Bamff. There is a divied two lane highway. On the way to Waterton there isn't any hill either really.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #16

Tow haul, and do a brake check with your brake controller every once in a while.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #17

However diesels do not have compression braking like gassers do. that is why the jake brake on the exhaust side. What do you mean by this? I know about jake brakes, as I used to drive trucks with them. It's the first part I'm lost on. Diesels have more compression than gas engines.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn73 View Post
However diesels do not have compression braking like gassers do. that is why the jake brake on the exhaust side. What do you mean by this? I know about jake brakes, as I used to drive trucks with them. It's the first part I'm lost on. Diesels have more compression than gas engines.

I am confused also. My 98 Dodge diesel had compression braking when the torque converter was engaged. A lot of people with a similar truck had a switch to keep the torque converter engaged. With the switch you didn't have to hit the throttle to re engage the converter if it kicked out. None of the diesel pickups have a Jake Brake. If they have anything it is an exhaust brake. Cummins, Ford, and GM diesels don't have optional cylinder heads to have a Jake.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #19

Just plied the coquihalla with a trailer on my first trip towing a trailer ever back in early may. Coming down the smasher will make a man of you. That part of my trip occupied two weeks of thinking. You know what. If your equipment is in good shape and you do what we truckers call "checking your speed" which means applying correct amount of service brake power and downshifting then the smile will return to your face. Sometimes momentum is your friend.
2012 Mitsubishi Fuso canter fe160
Me, wife, girl, boy
Fawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I am confused also. My 98 Dodge diesel had compression braking when the torque converter was engaged. A lot of people with a similar truck had a switch to keep the torque converter engaged. With the switch you didn't have to hit the throttle to re engage the converter if it kicked out. None of the diesel pickups have a Jake Brake. If they have anything it is an exhaust brake. Cummins, Ford, and GM diesels don't have optional cylinder heads to have a Jake.
Easier to just read it here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compres...e_engine_brake

There are a few aftermarket people that make exhaust brakes for the Dodge, chevy, fords... pacbrake being one of them. I have it on my dodge... It really does work great, makes hills a non issue. I have at least 60% on my stock from the factory brake pads at 115K miles... of which most were in town hauling 25K worth of equipment for work.

They packbrake actually make an jake style of brake that mounts in the motor it might be the first of its kind on the small motor in the pickup VS semi.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is to make sure your brakes are properly adjusted on the trailer, some are automatic but most aren't, a simple search online or from Jayco will have the exact directions for the axles on your trailer but it simple to do yourself but usually neglected and or not know that you have to do it about every 5000 miles.

imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing mountains