Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #1

Need Advice/Suggestions for Permanent Site Camping

Hi all,

We currently keep our camper in enclosed storage, and pull out when needed for use. We have decided that we are going to go to a permanent site for next year. The camper will stay parked in the site 24/7, but we will also still be able to pull out for a couple of trips we take through out the year. Electric and water will be available from 4/1-10/31, which will be the months we visit just about every weekend. From 11/1-3/31, the camper will be winterized, but we will still be able to check on it or visit if we so desire, we just need to bring our own power and water.

This is all very new to me, so I'm looking for suggestions from some of you that already camp this way. I will list some of my thoughts and concerns below, and I appreciate any input you can give.

Tips on battling the weather since it will be outside 24/7? Especially over winter? The good thing is that the site is 85% shaded during summer months, but not much in winter after leaves have fallen. Invest in a good cover for winter?

Slides in or out when not there? Is this really a concern? I plan on pulling the slides in and out every couple of weeks just to keep them lubed, and I planned on putting the slides in over the winter.

Tips on battling the critters and bugs year round? I have no problems in our current indoor storage and never have had with any type of critter (Mice) or bug (Ants), but I'm sure that will change with the camper being stationery outside.

I'm sure I'll think of more later on, lol...thanks in advance for your suggestions!
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

I can't speak to seasonal/permanent sites. But I can speak to outdoor storage. Very few people have the luxury of indoor storage. We've always parked it outside next to our house. I'm not a fan of covers. Wax several times a year, keep it clean, and inspect all seals at least twice a year. We bought our last trailer new and had it for 10 years. I can't say it looked like new, but it did look great aside from some of the decals cracking and shrinking.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:13 AM   #3

Hey Kirk;
I have two semi permanent camp sites.. In the spring and summer "Feb thru July" the trailer is at fish camp, we go up every two weeks I always bring a two gallon sprayer of bug spray I mix up at the house before we go and spray around the trailer as well as on tires, jacks, cords anything that bugs could crawl up into the trailer on, you can also use cedar shavings you can get at wal-mart and spread under your trailer as it repels bugs and critters pretty good in my opinion.. In fall and winter "Sept thru Dec" I have it up at deer camp I do the same spraying only when I am leaving I always drain my low points to get all of the water out of the lines to keep them from freezing..
My trailer is only at the house two months of the year and that is when I check seals, caulking, wash and wax.. You may want to think about getting a metal cover if you are worried about the weather, I am planning on having one built at fish camp as I don't like the Texas sun on the trailer all summer.. I'm sure someone will give more helpful tips this is just what I have done for the last eight years and has worked out pretty good for me...

Dash, Marie & Tazzie ( short for the devil from Tazmania) English bull terrier.
2014 Eagle 316RKDS
2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
When I pass on I want it to be like my grandpa in my sleep... Not like the screaming folks in the car with him..
The Dster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

We were tent campers for years, and then we bought some property and an "old" used TT and set it up permanently. That was 27 years ago. The old girl turned 50 this year and we moved her up the hill to a second campsite for our son to use. Our new 2015 Jayco occupies the original site.

The original trailer was put up on blocks at the beginning and needed only annual "adjusting" to level it due to the freeze / thaw cycle. The roof was always maintained by sealing and painting to keep it from leaking. Never had a leak.

We never had a problem with mice until maybe 5 years ago, and then we determined they were coming through the furnace's chimney, an old fashioned pipe just sticking through the roof. Installing chicken wire over the top solved the problem. All of the other vents were sealed with screendoor type screen years ago and never had a problem. The latest issue was ants coming in through the door, and that was solved by sliding foam all around the edge of the door when we were not there.

I wash the trailer with a sponge mop and a bleach type cleaner to remove the green surface discoloration (mold?) It cleans up nicely. The decals have been gone for years, and now every time I wash it more oxidized paint comes off and more silver aluminum is showing. Doesn't look pretty like the Jayco, but she has served us well all these years. I often wonder it the longevity is due to not being hauled on the highway....ever. We'll see if the Jayco lasts that long...
Attached Thumbnails
P8040014.jpg   P8110044.jpg  
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote