Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #1

Need AT&T MiFi Device Advice as Very Confused!

We're replacing our TT with a new Precept 31UL this week and hope to use it to do more non-park boondocking. One of our biggest issues has continued to be internet. So I'm thinking of adding an AT&T MiFi-type device to our AT&T plan. BUT I have rarely run across so much confusing information on the internet about what is best to buy, use, upgrade. Does anyone have any experience accessing wifi from the road using their AT&T plan? Which MiFi device should I look for? Which data plan?

I'm trying to do some of this before asking anyone at an AT&T Store because they usually know far less than the users do! And everytime I've been in a store they end up messing up my AT&T account anyway. So I want to know what I am doing beforehand. I also am not quite ready to invest in satellite stuff and all those type options just yet. So what I am after is the simplest most reliable low cost thing I could get set up this week before we fly-in to pick up this new rig out-of-state. Thanks
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

I just use the hot spot on my Verizon phone for internet access. Uses the phones data plan and no further equipment. Is there a hot spot or tethering available on your phone or current plan? If so just connect your computer to your phone thru the hot spot and have at it. Will depend on your phone and your plan.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #3

We have been using the AT&T Mobely device. Got it with a $20/month unlimited data plan without a contract. Works good. AT&T coverage is pretty good. Traveled from East coast to Wyoming last summer. Usually received a good 4g LTE signal except for the way out areas. Look at the at&t coverage map. Device plugs into the ODB port of our TV.

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

We have several that we use at work.
Depending on the plan you choose (I'm guessing they have different plans) the amount of data you can use will vary. I am pretty sure you can connect up to 5 devices to it.

But as mentioned before, if you already have a phone you may look at tethering to it. I know with T-Mobile I get 7GB of tethering data per month included, I'm sure AT&T is slightly different but the cost may be included or cheaper than a dedicated hot spot.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #5

A little more expensive way to go if you have ATT and can use your existing phone as a hot spot is a Verizon pay as you go WiFi device. We have at&t phones and have had several times that Verizon had better coverage. In those cases we used the Verizon device and made WiFi calls and internet through it. When at&t has better service we just use it.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #6

Check the area's your going to want to use your wifi as not every cell company has good cell service everywhere In the mountains out west, you may not get any cell service, or not enough to use wifi.. If you go to ATT or whatever company you can see their coverage map..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

We use our cell service for all of our entertainment. We stream TV and movies through the cell service. All of our internet is through the cell service. The Verizon unlimited plan has worked well for us. The phones themselves do not have a data limit. But, there is a limit for the use of the hotspot. After 15GB for each device, the hotspot data limit is throttled. The MiFi device is treated as a hotspot so after 15GB any device connected to it is throttled. We have a Verizon MiFI device. When I first got it the reason was to have a better cell reception than the cell phones. The MiFi external antenna can be placed in an optimal spot.

So, after 18 months I would not recommend one. If I really needed a dedicated hotspot I would just put another phone on my plan.

First, the MiFi rarely gets a better signal than our cell phones. Yes, sometimes it might get an extra bar, but, not very often. If you need better reception in fringe areas a better choice is a cell repeater.

Second, the MiFi 15GB limit.

Third, the MiFi is considered another 'device' on your cell plan. So, you pay as much for it as you do for another phone. If you can get a 'bundle' then more power to you and ignore this point. Again, consider another phone instead.

Last, I have used my cell phone hotspot for connecting tablets and laptops to the internet and it works very well. For gamers or dedicated video addicts it is not fast enough. The best I have had is a ping of around 90ms. Most of the time it is 130 or worse. Frame rates are 30fps at best at lower resolution. There are frame dropouts, iterruptions, etc when in less than ideal conditions.

FYI, when streaming TV through the phone it is not considered hotspot data so Verizon puts it in the unlimited class. The wife's cell phone is dedicated for our TV streaming and never reaches the data limit, despite watching tons of TV/movies through it. Most TVs now days will allow the mirroring from the phone. It is not like watching TV over a cable connection. Forget 2k, 4k, etc. You are lucky if it is HD quality.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote