Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #1

need for concern?

While camping this weekend, my daughter called me back to the bunkhouse. She said dad, why is that light bulb black. I looked, and sure enough it was blackish. I removed the cover, and noticed that not only was the bulb, blackened(and still working), but the plug for it was getting brown. Does the light fixture need to be replaced? Just the bulb? Could it be a wiring issue??? Thanks in advance for your help.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

krackeer,
To me it sounds like a high resistance in the fixture and bulb.
Just guessing.
I don't like electrical outlets or fixtures blackened.
I would consider replacing the fixture, cheap enough for piece of mind.

JMHO

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #3

I would pull down the fixture and replace it. While doing it take note of any loose wires that may have caused the issue
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
I would pull down the fixture and replace it. While doing it take note of any loose wires that may have caused the issue
x2
Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #5

Those 194 lamps run pretty hot. Was the fixture left on for an extended period of time? In my experience the most discoloration would appear at the source of the problem and get lesser as you get farther away from it. If the bulb is blackened and the socket is brown then I would conclude the bulb. If the socket was black and the bulb discolored then probably the issue is with the socket. When you pull the fixture you'll be able to see if the insulation on the wires has been cooked.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #6

Alot of my light fixture turned brown due to the large amount of heat coming from the incandescent automotive bulbs. I would start replacing those with the LED replacements. You get the same (or more) light and hardly any heat generated at all. You also will get a 80% power consumption savings from using the automotive type bulbs.

Inspect the socket and if it is also is damaged I would replace it like posted above. They are not that expensive.

You might look at some of your other light fixtures - It would not surprise me you may start seeing the same thing on those as well. Don't grab one of those automotive bulbs as soon as you turn them off - They are "VERY HOT"

Just my thoughts...
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #7

i would replace it and check all others in the camper to be on the safe side better safe than sorry
daderspapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #8

I would concur with others who say to replace the fixture. But also, strongly consider replacing the bulbs with LEDs, not only do they use less energy, they operate at a much cooler temp. All the light fixtures in our old SOB had discolored plastic parts from the #921 hot bulbs but I installed LEDs in our new Jay-Bird fixtures and none have discolored.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #9

I would not jump the gun yet. Look at some of the other light fixtures, and see what their condition is like. If I recall, (TT is in storage so I cannot go look) the bases are made of a white plastic, and my fixtures started changing colors after about a half season of use, when I switched to LEDs.

If you have a laser thermometer, replace the bulb, put on the cover, and turn on the light for a minute or so. Then remove the cover (light is still on) and take the temperature of the fixture in various locations starting with the plastic light bulb base. As I recall, I had some very high numbers, close to 200 degrees. Do a comparison with a few other fixtures.

Can you post a picture of the fixture??

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #10

These fixture are cheap, meaning they are made with cheap components, switch, socket. I would compare it to other fixtures to see if they are also discolored. At minimum, I would pull this one and check the wiring going to it for blistering or other signs of overheating.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would not jump the gun yet. Look at some of the other light fixtures, and see what their condition is like. If I recall, (TT is in storage so I cannot go look) the bases are made of a white plastic, and my fixtures started changing colors after about a half season of use, when I switched to LEDs.

If you have a laser thermometer, replace the bulb, put on the cover, and turn on the light for a minute or so. Then remove the cover (light is still on) and take the temperature of the fixture in various locations starting with the plastic light bulb base. As I recall, I had some very high numbers, close to 200 degrees. Do a comparison with a few other fixtures.

Can you post a picture of the fixture??
No, TT is in storage now, but it is just your basic 2 light ceiling fixture with a bulb and a lens on both sides and an on off switch in the middle. The bulb blackening and the socket browning only happened on one side.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote