Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Need help with Norcold 2-way refrigerator

I bought a 2017 Hummingbird 17RB last year (used, but only out on one trip by previous owner). Like new condition and everything works fine - except the refrigerator when in gas mode. It works great when using electricity, but I have not been able to ignite it when switched to propane mode. I haven't been able to get it to the shop and I was wondering if there are some troubleshooting tips I can try before taking it back out the end of July. Thanks
Mountain Born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #2

You may have to make sure that gas is flowing the length of the gas line to get to the fridge. Many use the trick of starting up the stove burners to get the gas flowing before turning on other gas operated appliances. That's the quick fix in many cases.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #3

Check for spider web in the burner tube, also there is a small valve handle right at the gas solenoid, it may be off.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #4

Thanks. I did try that approach, but I may not have been patient enough. Supposedly a "flame meter" indicates if the pilot light is burning. It would help if you could see the burner to understand what is going on. I'll try lighting the stove again first and just give it lot more time.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

Thanks Grumpy. I did take the outdoor cover off and don't recall seeing the valve you mentioned. I'll take another look and see if I can find it. Also, as I recall, I tried to access the pilot light to see if anything looked awry and it was difficult to get access and a clear view. As I said, I'll give it another try.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Born View Post
Also, as I recall, I tried to access the pilot light to see if anything looked awry and it was difficult to get access and a clear view. As I said, I'll give it another try.
No pilot light, should be electronic ignition.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No pilot light, should be electronic ignition.
The operating instructions tell me to push and hold the gas control knob while also pushing the piezo lighter. Then it says that when a flame is present "the flame meter will move into the green area". That sounds like a pilot light to me.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:55 AM   #8

Mountain,

A couple of questions:

As Grumpy said, it should have an electronic ignition. Once you turn on the switch inside can you go outside and hear the ignition clicking (trying to activate itself)?

Secondly, can you verify that you actually have a “gas control knob” and “piezo” lighter,” as mentioned in your last post?

My brain might be scrambled this early in the morning, but if you have a knob and piezo that almost sounds like you have a three-way fridge, and not a two-way.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
You may have to make sure that gas is flowing the length of the gas line to get to the fridge. Many use the trick of starting up the stove burners to get the gas flowing before turning on other gas operated appliances. That's the quick fix in many cases.

That is how I get it "primed" and ready to actuate whilst traveling vs. on shore power.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #10

Usually, my issue is needing to purge the gas line prior to its first ignition. I am not sure why or how, but the gas lines seem to fill up with air, if they have been sitting for a while, even if I leave the gas bottles turned on.

I light the stove and let it burn until I have a good strong flame, this purges most of the bad gas. Then flip the refrigerator over to gas. Sometimes, it will need wo attempts to light the first time. If it fails to light the orange light will blink. If it does, I flip the frig off, and then back on.

So far, I have not had any spider issues with the refrigerator, on the other hand they do like my water heater.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Born View Post
The operating instructions tell me to push and hold the gas control knob while also pushing the piezo lighter. Then it says that when a flame is present "the flame meter will move into the green area". That sounds like a pilot light to me.
Yep and I didn't realize they still used those.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #12

Have you tried a hammer?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #13

We have a lot of trips and nights on our Norcold. Sometimes after it has not been run on gas a while it is cantankerous.. Running the stove verifies there is gas getting that far and sometimes it takes three piezo attempts.. Just be persistent.. I think air gets in there and needs to be purged.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #14

Update on my Norcold refrigerator problem

I tried to ignite the LPG again this weekend and was more persistant this time. It actually did light, but it would only burn for a few minutes and then the flame went out. There is a "Flame Indicator Meter" on the refrigerator control panel which is supposed to turn green when the flame is going. It never turned green (that is probably why I thought the burner would never ignite when I tried before). Does that sound like a bad thermocouple - the burner ignites and burns for 2 or 3 minutes, then goes out.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #15

Take it in for warranty!If you do not the dealer will try and blame the problem on you! Been there done that. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator problem