Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
Just got off the phone with Jayco.

They did say a warranty claim was submitted for buckling to the side panels behind the rear awning arm. That's all they have now, just that its been submitted, not approved yet.

Matches up with what they've told me I think. That's nice.

I talked to the dealer service guy yesterday and told him not to rush it for this weekend (as we were supposed to pick it up).

Said we had other plans and wanted him to know so they dont rush it and have us not even come. He said he appreciated that since the "parts aren't scheduled to come in till Thursday, so they would have been rushing, " he thanked me for letting him know and said he'd much rather have a little more time to make sure everything is gone over.

That was a comforting call.
Yes, who said what is matching up. Sounds like the dealer is being truthful.
I just have one question. You talked 1st about side panels then also the awning arm. But your conversation with Jayco was only for the side panels. What about the awning arm?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #62

Quote:
Just a $1000 "refundable" deposit.

I'm not going to rush them just to make this camping trip. I'd rather they took the time to do it right. I'm just bummed that it means I'll miss it.

Eagle... do you by chance mean that if I have issues in the future with areas they repaired, that they may not get warrantied by Jayco? That would totally suck.
My experienced advice to you, WALK AWAY...
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #63

That's kinda why I ended up buying our SLX 8 267 BHSW from the dealer that's 20 minutes away instead of buying from a cheaper source 10 - 15 hrs away, even though it was about $1500 more, i.e., to get handier and better priority service. Turned out it's been worth it in my case -- on first one I took home, I noticed no enclosed underbelly and no Thermal Package despite it having the sticker on the side, which they remedied by switching with another one on the lot that had a couple other extras (ladder, grill) that I didn't have on the first one so I was happy. Since then, however, within one year it's been back to the dealer for: noisy popping slide; radio won't get AM stations (still not resolved, I gave up); stove exhaust fan quit working; water heater control board failure; fridge wouldn't relight on gas at higher altitudes (fixed this myself after they couldn't - see other thread here on that if you need); major roof membrane installation flaw - sharp-edged metal siding that was too high (see other thread on that). They also replaced my electric tongue jack after they bent the shaft. Point of all this is if your experience ends up anywhere close to mine, you'll likely be making a lot of 10 hr round trips back to the dealer you bought from, unless you can convince the p-o'd closer local one to do your warranty work. I am enjoying our trailer, nevertheless, but I'm retired with lots of free time. Best of luck to you.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
My experienced advice to you, WALK AWAY...
That seems to be the consensus here.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #65

I found this thread interesting...and somewhat humorous. I hope no one every purchases a "new" vehicle, because most have some sort of "damage" that is repaired before delivery..normally before it's even put on the lot. Same with furniture, almost all furniture (not box store crap) which are delivered are repaired at some time, typically scratches, nicks, etc from handling. If this "damage" was repaired before you saw it on the lot, you would be thrilled with your "New" RV. But because it may of happened after you saw the unit, it's now become an issue.

Do what you feel is in your best interest...but, remember, the next RV you purchase you may have no clue if something was "repaired" before you even saw it or not..

Happy Camping with whatever decision you may make.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Yes, who said what is matching up. Sounds like the dealer is being truthful.
I just have one question. You talked 1st about side panels then also the awning arm. But your conversation with Jayco was only for the side panels. What about the awning arm?
I said it sounds like the repair the dealer told me they are doing matches up with what Jayco said they sent in for warranty.

Originally the salesman told me the side panels, then I got a call from the service guy saying the awning part came in damaged so they had to reorder. That's where the confusion came in. Sounds like its actually side panels and an awning bracket. Supposedly.

Wags999, that's kinda why I havent just jumped and ran. My dad's body shop used to fix Ford dealership cars all the time. The rule was if the damage was under $3,000, they could still sell it as new and not have to disclose the damage. If it was $3,000.01, they would either have to sell it as used and not disclose, or new and disclose the damage.

$3,000!!!! Imagine the stuff many NEW cars, and likely RVs have gone through without anyone knowing. That's why I'm hesitant to continue, but not completely jumped ship.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #67

I think I'm going to agree with the majority here. If I'm paying for a new unit, then that's what I want. This is sounds like much more than simple warranty work. I'd either have them give me the other unit for same $ or walk away from the deal altogether. Also just curious if TT's or RV's in general are flagged in the insurance data base as damaged. May impact resale value.
F250dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Man......... I was thinking the photos of the damage wasn't very bad, and was feeling okay with going forward.

Is warranty work only done at the purchasing dealer? I totally understand if the repair work isn't being done under warranty that Jayco may not honor the repair, which is scary. But for other warranty work, do I have to take it to the dealer I bought from? Or can I go to the more local dealer?

Reason for going to Pasco was a couple things. One was price. This places prices prices across the board seemed way lower than anyone near. And while price isn't always key, we had a budget we wanted to stick to, and nobody else came close.

The other reasons were we kinda liked the idea of a road trip to get it. It seemed like a lot if people will travel to go get a trailer, I was under the impression this was normal. 5 hours didnt seem to far compared to others. And this place has great reviews, I figured there wouldn't be any problems.

Now there is. Not so much with the dealership, a little bit. But mostly with the trailer.

I don't feel like the damage in the picture is all that bad. BUT, as some of you said... is there possibly hidden damage somewhere else? If not, no big deal... but if so... ugh, could be a big deal.

And there is the part about paying new price for a repaired trailer.... unfortunately I can't even find a used trailer of the same model to compare pricing.

My nearest Jayco dealership... the salesman I originally spoke to ended up leaving me with a bad feeling about both him and the dealership. They also have pretty bad service reviews. I have since spoken with a different sales rep, but his price is still $2,000 more than these guys and our budget...

Would you guys likely buck up the extra two grand for a trailer hopefully with less damage from a sucky service dealership?

Well you would want NO damage when buying a new unit. From your pictures it is hard to see what damage was done (other than the obvious) especially near the roof. As others have said, you would really want to see the damage personally BEFORE it is closed up and there are new aluminum panels covering it up. So especially if you cannot inspect it yourself in person, this is a no go as far as I’m concerned.

Just for information, I have gone 12 hours to pick up a new unit with no problems, and I have traveled one hour to do the same. Having your dealer nearby is a bigger deal than you might think. I know $2k is more than trivial change, but in the bigger scheme of things, it might make your life a lot easier to stay as local as you can...
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #69

Dealers in Pasco WA??? I put 1K deposit on a unit last summer and they called three days before we were suppose to pick it up to tell me they had accidentally sold it to someone else. Then they had the nerve to try and sell me another model / floor plan acting like it was no big deal. I ended up driving to Oregon (same distance) where that dealer matched the price. I was happy with that deal, however; next time I buy it will be within a 50 mile radius of home.
F250dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #70

Trippy, most models come with the awning mounted at the factory unless for some weird reason this unit did not have one. So if both the awning and the curb side aluminum are damaged, that would send up a red flag. Buyer beware.
Dqx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:08 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250dieseldad View Post
Dealers in Pasco WA??? I put 1K deposit on a unit last summer and they called three days before we were suppose to pick it up to tell me they had accidentally sold it to someone else. Then they had the nerve to try and sell me another model / floor plan acting like it was no big deal. I ended up driving to Oregon (same distance) where that dealer matched the price. I was happy with that deal, however; next time I buy it will be within a 50 mile radius of home.
Yeah Pasco. Broadmoor RV to be specific.

They better not sell it out from under me after waiting the 3 or 4 weeks I'll be waiting. Or if they do they better give me a deal on the charcoal ones.

I'd like to stay local, but I just have a hard time with our local guy when he can't explain why his MSRP is 2 grand more than the Jayco website says. That's not including destination charge, which is another 2k I think. Then claims someone photoshopped the build sheet on this one I'm currently waiting for.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #72

Not sure my other post posted, but if I were in your shoes, I’d cancel the sale. I wouldn’t want a severely damaged unit. To me it opens the door for problems down the road
Acaltag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #73

Well, I keep trying to find other trailers to justify to my wife to just pay a little more, just for peace if mind. She's not worried at all about the damage. Which I'm still surprised about. Normally it's me who is the "no big deal" person and she's always freaking out... with this it's the other way. I've become okay with spending just a couple grand more for a different trailer that at least appears like it's never been damaged. She wont go for it.

I've actually started liking the Jayflight 28BHBE a lot. But they're a few grand more. I like the axle is a little futher forward, reducing the hitch weight, and making the turning radius better. As well as other upgraded options, and possible better quality frame and details.

Oh well. Repaired trailer or Charcoal trailer it might be.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #74

We have 2 RVs. One is now 55 years old and we have owned it for 32 years. The other is a Jayco that we have owned for 5 years. I have no intention of selling either one.....ever. If there is a maintenance issue I'll fix it myself. If I can't handle it, I'll get someone to do it for me. Obviously, we are people that know what we want and we continue to be satisfied with our choices.

Thus, don't listen to my opinions because we are an anomaly. Nevertheless....

Most people buy something, get bored and upgrade / downgrade or get out of the sport altogether. Thus, if you are the average consumer you won't have the trailer you buy now for more than a couple of years.

Soooo, you are overthinking all of this. Buy the cheap repaired unit and be done with it. In 2 years when you get tired of it (or it leaks), trade it in and get one you like better.

Life is too short to worry about all this stuff....
Old 03-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #75

Thanks gypsmjim. I agree, I'm probably overthinking it.

You're right, in a few years, I'll either still love it, or be ready to upgrade or ditch it if it ends up being a headache.

I think at the price point (23k OTD), unless it falls apart, I should get most of my money back selling it later.

I'm still gonna do as thorough as an inspection as I can. If theres anything I don't like then I'll either move on, or have them fix it and ask for a lower price.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #76

Well, don't underthink it either. In my own life there have been a few times (like at a boat auction...LOL) that I overpaid in the heat of the moment just because I got too excited about a particular item.

You definitely 100% NEED to ask for a lower price. Its not a brand spanking new unit and you should pay accordingly. Also, no matter what price you pay don't expect to get back what you paid unless it was a used unit and the previous owner just needed to sell it fast.