Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

Need opinions/advice

Some of you maybe saw my thread saying I have to wait for our trailer cause they saw some dents in the side they didn't like so they're going to replace the side panel and decals.

No big deal. I appreciate they found it before me driving 5 hours to pick it up.

Well today I get a call, saying the awning they ordered came in damaged during shipping, so now it won't be ready till after the 18th.

The awning???? The never mentioned the awning before when I asked.

Now I'm wondering what all is really wrong. Inwas glad they were upfront and caught the side damage, but I asked what all needed to be replaced. They didn't mention an awning too.

My plan is to call tomorrow and politely insist they tell me what all is really being fixed.

Part of me is wondering if I need to be worried, if I still want it or what? A small part of me feels it it's so much damage to need a side panel and awning is it almost like buying a used trailer but with a new trailer price?

So what all would you do? Should I not worry, should I ask for a discount? Should I inquire about the identical trailer they have in a different interior color?

Also, if I wont be ready till after the 18th, then now we cant make it out to pick up till the 30th. And we wanted to go camping with friends that weekend.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I only buy what I can see on a lot in person, I'm old and scared of sweet talking dealer promises.
Yeah... I wanted to buy local, but my local dealer wasnt able to come within even 2 grand. And they were also rude during the whole process.

These guys at least have been very kind, but now wondering if they're hiding stuff?

Or maybe i just need to be extra observant during my inspection.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Trippy1313,

Best not to let your scheduled camping plans be the driving force in accepting a brand new TT with a questionable exterior "repair" history. I would assume the worst that it didn't leave the factory in the condition that has been described, so a normal warranty issue may not be in play here.

IMO there's a lot of content missing from the story your dealership has given you thus far, and your eyes are not on the TT to confirm otherwise. Can the dealership send you "before" repair photos??

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #4

I hope you didn't send them any $$$$$$$$.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
I hope you didn't send them any $$$$$$$$.
Just a $1000 "refundable" deposit.

I'm not going to rush them just to make this camping trip. I'd rather they took the time to do it right. I'm just bummed that it means I'll miss it.

Eagle... do you by chance mean that if I have issues in the future with areas they repaired, that they may not get warrantied by Jayco? That would totally suck.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #6

Best wishes and good luck
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Best wishes and good luck

Haha.... that doesn't sound very encouraging...... ugh...
Old 03-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #8

Trippy-
Hmmmmm. Sounds really suspicious to me, like they may be covering something up or holding information back from you. They may be, and they are thinking that if they patch it up now and get it out the door, that would be the last they see of you cause you are 5 hours away. I would wonder what exactly happened to the rig. Something damaged in transit? Did it hit something, like a building?
I agree with your calling them tomorrow but they better have a great explanation of what happened. Pictures would be helpful. I would say then go with your gut feeling and make your decision whether or not you want that "damaged" unit.
From what I understand from your explanation of this, my gut would tell me to walk away from this deal as fast as you can. It just doesn't smell right to me.
Good luck with your decision and hope all works out for you.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #9

Art of the deal 101, be willing to walk away.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Art of the deal 101, be willing to walk away.
Yeah. Luckily the easy part in this deal of walking away is that it's a 5 hour drive... I just wish our local dealer could come close to the price. But... maybe that's why they're cheaper. Except ALL their trailers are cheaper... unless they all have some type of storm damage maybe?
Old 03-08-2019, 04:37 AM   #11

Your gut feeling will rarely mislead you. Go with that.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:53 AM   #12

If it were me I would bite down on the bullet and drive to the dealership to see the trailer with my own eyes. The damage to the siding and the awning make you think something either happened in transit or on the dealer's lot. Them being so upfront and willing to repair leads me to believe it was done on the lot.

I don't know your personality but cancelling the transaction and getting back my deposit is not something that would bother me. But I understand not everyone is confrontational. Seeing the trailer though, at least you'll have some peace of mind and can make an informed decision when you choose to either keep it or cancel and move on. I'd rather lose a little now than a lot later. Just my opinion.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
Just my opinion.
Exactly what I'm looking for. People's opinions.

I wish it were as simple as just driving over. With 3 girls ranging from 4 years to 3 months, and a wife that works nights/weekends, it's a little hard.

I also believe it was likely lot damage. I'm thinking either storm damage or some dummy wrecked it when they pulled it out to get it ready for us.

I intend to question and find out. I think I'm leaning towards passing on this trailer, and maybe asking about the condition of the similar trailers in different color schemes.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
snip...... Eagle... do you by chance mean that if I have issues in the future with areas they repaired, that they may not get warrantied by Jayco?......snip
In part, yes.

If the present repair work being preformed is the result of an incident "unrelated" to the Jayco product (TT) condition as-shipped/released from the factory (repair not being covered by Jayco warranty), then potentially future warranty service claims may be challenged and/or denied by Jayco if they deem the warranty claim is the result of the prior "incident".

Ask your dealership...., is the repair work being done being processed through Jayco as a warranty service claim? If it is then the dealership should have no problem providing you a copy of the service warranty claim document that includes the description of repair required/approved by Jayco. This document can be used in the event of any future related warranty service claims being questioned.

Just thinking out loud here.

Bob

ps: Just curious, the side panel in question is this a fiberglass or aluminum panel?

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #15

Its aluminum siding. So it may just be a piece or two. But the awning being replaced makes me think they sideswiped another trailer or building.

Makes perfect sense your description of warranty work or not. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #16
Site Team

Do they have anymore of that model on the lot or on the way? Might be better off not starting out with all this aggravation.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Do they have anymore of that model on the lot or on the way? Might be better off not starting out with all this aggravation.

They have one exactly the same with the charcoal interior instead of the truffle interior.

Then they have one priced $350 more in the charcoal. So maybe an extra option on it.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #18

--Do not accept the damaged unit. There could be hidden damage that might go unrepaired now and could become an issue later.
--If the dealer is absorbing the cost of the repairs, there is a chance that they would scrimp on the work. Whereas if Jayco is absorbing the cost of the repairs under its warranty, then the dealer might do all that is necessary.
--In any case, skip this sale and choose another RV.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #19

Run Forrest Run!
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #20

Trippy, who is the dealer?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote