Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Need to buy batteries?

So we pick up our new 3210 Toy Hauler in under two weeks. The dealer said it doesn't come with a battery, so we need to supply one. Sounded odd, since I think just like with a car, a battery is necessary -but I'm noticing there are more steps involved in picking up a trailer. Whatever it is, it is I guess -but I don't know what to get, other than I'm told to get a "Deep Cycle" battery. I figure I may as well get two of them as there appears plenty of room, and just wire them in parallel so we have more capacity in between generator runs... (We will be doing a lot of dry camping without hookups.)

Are there recommendations for what to get? Specific sizes? I don't have enough info to make a purchase, but my timing is getting short to get the batteries, then charge them and drop off at the dealer so they're in and ready when we do our inspection and walk through.

A little help please??? Looking forward to my next great family adventure!
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #2

well I don't have a toy hauler but mine came with an interstate dual purpose battery or a dp for short. The only thing I wonder about with the deep cycles is that I know from boating the deep cycles I thought were designed to be run down quite a bit and then recharged, and with the convertors even though they are supposed to be smart equipped do they understand the charging cycles of a deep cycle? The dual purpose is sort of a hybrid of the starting which is charging immediately after start and the deep cycle which is designed for extended use with no charge? Am I correct in this assumption or will the convertor charge accordingly
Old 04-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

Oh an as to it not coming with batteries that seems weird mine had a brand new battery installed by the dealer when I picked it up
Old 04-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Odd that you dealer isn't providing a battery, but honestly you are probably better off getting what you want to meet your needs.

Dual 12v in parallel or dual 6v is series is probably the first decision you need to make. There are very solid arguments for either 6v or 12v, I made the decision for 12v because I wanted lighter and more portable since I pull my batteries and store in my garage on a battery tender. Plus I take my Honda EU2000 if we ever camp without electricty. This means I don't need the deeper depth of discharge the 6v allow. Additionally my dual grp 24 12v provide ~170 Amp Hrs vs ~200 Amp Hrs with GC2 6V and I haven't found myself wanting for more amp hours. Lastly the dual 12v were considerably less expensive. However if you will camp without elec or generator and plan to really extend time between generator runs dual GC2 may work better for you. It also seems folks who rely on solar for charging, or want to run an inverter to provide 120v AC for certain appliance also prefer 6volts.

Personally I buy batteries at Costco. They offer great prices, warranty and zero hassle if you need to return something. My Costco went from private label batteries mfg by Johnson Controls, to actual Interstate branded batteries still manufactured by Johnson Controls.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #5

Interesting - thank you! I have contacted the dealer to confirm that like two of the 4 TVs this thing has connections for, it doesn't come with the battery either... We'll see.

As for usage, I really don't know - this is my first trailer. I know it has the Onan Cummins 5500 generator, and whatever controller that Jayco installs with it. We will be about 5-7 days at a time each time we stop and will be running the generator while there. But what does that mean for usage? I don't know. Can I control how far down the batteries can go before firing up the generator? I hope so -that's my intention, to install extra battery capacity and top them up while we are off on the trails, versus having the generator run, under our bed, while we're trying to sleep....

Sorry, I'm not much help - too new!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #6

The TH will come with a battery gauge, it's a series of 4 LEDs representing Empty, 1/3 full, 2/3 full, and Full. It would work to periodically spot check capacity. Much more accurate gauges can be wired in that will show exact voltage coming from the batteries which is the correct way to determine DOD.

I suspect if you have onboard Onan Generator that you run it at least daily for a couple hours and that should plenty to keep your batteries topped off.

Dual 12v or 6v will be great for you.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

By the way, we typically run our generator for a couple hours in the morning when making breakfast/coffee. Sometimes if we need 120v appliance to cook dinner we run again the evening. Never have I run it all night.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

Excellent suggestion and probably not difficult to set up. This my be a ridiculous question, but is there a particular size, as in physical LxWxH dimensions/"RV Size" I should be looking for?

Costco seems to have about 100 different sizes and I have zero direction in this.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #9

I think mine is a group 24 or 27 cant remember right off hand
Old 04-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #10

I have never had a TT or FW that didn't come with a battery, including the PINNACLE we just bought which came with two. Also how can you safely leave the dealer's lot without a battery since you will have no power for the break-a-way switch for the brakes.

Something is rotten in Denmark in my opinon.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Need to buy batteries?

I have bought new from 2 different dealers, first
provided one batt, 2nd furnished two.
Just marine deep cycle , grp 24

How they going to do the pdi w/o a battery?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
Site Team

This issue has come up a few times here in the past and baffles most of us members. Occasionally but not often a dealer will not provide battery(s). I too find it strange since you need one to safely leave the lot.
I suppose they are hoping you buy one from them. Mine came with a battery and the propane tanks filled. After 5.5 years I`m still using that original Interstate group 24 battery, but your needs are different since you will be camping without hookups. There are some very knowledgeable battery folks here that can help with your needs.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #13

I have bought various types of rvs over the years, and each has had a battery provided. Perhaps your dealer feels the need of getting a little more profit from you? Be ready, for you have started a war between the 6v and 12v members. Mine came with two 12v 27's , and they serve my type camping to date. Should I have your situation, I would go with two 6v, true deep cycle.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenroads View Post
So we pick up our new 3210 Toy Hauler in under two weeks. The dealer said it doesn't come with a battery, so we need to supply one. Sounded odd, since I think just like with a car, a battery is necessary -but I'm noticing there are more steps involved in picking up a trailer. Whatever it is, it is I guess -but I don't know what to get, other than I'm told to get a "Deep Cycle" battery. I figure I may as well get two of them as there appears plenty of room, and just wire them in parallel so we have more capacity in between generator runs... (We will be doing a lot of dry camping without hookups.)

Are there recommendations for what to get? Specific sizes? I don't have enough info to make a purchase, but my timing is getting short to get the batteries, then charge them and drop off at the dealer so they're in and ready when we do our inspection and walk through.

A little help please??? Looking forward to my next great family adventure!
Goldenroads

You might consider:

Lifeline type 24 AGM - 80Ah @ 20A
Lifeline type 27 AGM - 100Ah @ 20A
U.S. Battery type 27 AGM - 99Ah @ 20A
Trojan type 24 AGM - 89Ah @ 20A

I will make an observation that so called "deep cycle" batteries from readily available sellers like Wal-Mart and Interstate have a rather loose interpretation as to what "deep cycle" really represents. You will want a battery that will accept multiple chargings during it's lifetime and what I have listed will fit the bill, I think. For example, Lifeline produces RV batteries that have a reliability similar to ones the company produces for deep space applications.

Want greater ampacity? There are plenty of models from these companies but, as expected, they begin to want an arm and a leg + cash. You decide.

Hope this helps...?

Bob
Gharwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #15

Thank you everyone for clearing this up! I went back and confirmed the dealer does not supply the battery/batteries. I went with multiple suggestions and got mine from Costco - two 6v Golf Cart/RV Deep Cycle batteries.

They had the highest ratings of any in the store and with 4 TVs running on this thing, I figured I may as well have as much capacity as possible. The thing weighs over 12,000 pounds empty, it'll be almost 15,000 pounds loaded with our fuel, water, 3 quads and gasoline for the fill station, so I figured the weight difference was negligible. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, I literally knew NOTHING about this when I started my day.

I feel like I learned and also got the batteries that should do the job for me for a long while. They were $300 total ($150 each) after recycle fees and taxes, so not super cheap, but I'm assuming power is one of those things I'd rather have more than I need, than need more than I have)

I wasn't expecting the batteries to be labelled as "Golf Cart/RV" batteries, but they had the highest specs of the ones in the store, and I guess I can always take them back if they're the wrong ones!

Charging them up in series right now, hoping to have them delivered to the dealer Monday for installation and be ready to hit the road in May!
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg   FullSizeRender(1).jpg  
Old 04-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #16

Go to the lot and see if you can bypass the salesman/service people when your trailer comes in. My guess is it has one from the factory. I would call Jayco and see why your trailer is not coming with a battery. Sounds like the dealer is trying to make a profit on a battery. The GC2 batteries are what I have also. I have only had them a short time, but they work well for me as well.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Go to the lot and see if you can bypass the salesman/service people when your trailer comes in. My guess is it has one from the factory. I would call Jayco and see why your trailer is not coming with a battery. Sounds like the dealer is trying to make a profit on a battery. The GC2 batteries are what I have also. I have only had them a short time, but they work well for me as well.
Doesn't come with one from the factory, usually dealer installed.

goldenrods, definitely ask to see the MSRP sheet ours for the PINNACLE stated ,INTERSTATE Battery
Old 04-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #18

Very odd - sounds like a dealer trying to cut corners anywhere he can. Hope you got a very, very good deal. I wonder what else they are not included that more commonly are in the price? And then you have to buy and deliver early to them.....geez, that price better be super rock bottom!
Old 04-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #19

Buying two, did you check to be sure they are almost twins? Mfg date/ ie year, should be almost same for them to balance out.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Doesn't come with one from the factory, usually dealer installed.

goldenrods, definitely ask to see the MSRP sheet ours for the PINNACLE stated ,INTERSTATE Battery
I did get a copy of the Major Components sheet from the factory -the sheet that details the items & serial numbers covered under warranty. No battery listed.

It showed 4 TVs, but only 2 serial numbers, and it is coming with 2 TVs, and two blank spots where I can add them.

I downloaded the 2015 Jayco Toy Hauler owners manual and the Auxilliary Battery specifically shows as "customer supplied" so I'm guessing this is normal. (Now, anyway.)

They made the argument that they don't supply batteries because most people hook up to power... That's fine, but makes it hard to explain why it comes with the generator installed....