Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2023, 11:23 AM   #1

Needing help

I’ve got a 50 amp jayco Eagle ht, and Im curious if there is any way I can run the camper onmy 4000 running watt dewalt generator. I’ve got the dog bone for the 50 to 30 twist lock conversion. But as far turning on the generator and plugging in the shore chord to the generator, what other steps do I need to take to charge my battery, the lights, operate the slides, and heat up the rv with a space heater or turn on the furnace.
bretaicherllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:16 PM   #2

That's a lot of questions. 1st, you can do it but with 4,000 watts peak and maybe 3,500 continuous you will have to plan and test what the generator will handle. First thing is to try to figure the base load. This is what your AC to 12 volt converter needs to keep a few lights on, run the water pump, etc. Mostly the big load will be recharging the battery(s). After that consider TV use, running a micro, toaster or coffee maker. Using the generator to run an electric heater doesn't make sense if you LP gas heater works.

your generator will require you to ration power. Odds are you won't want to make coffee while you run the microwave. You may (will?) be surprised for a few times when you blow the generator fuse or kill it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:15 PM   #3

The Gen will charge the battery when it's running. Do you want to spend money on gas for the gen or propane for the furnace to heat, either way works. Just like Roger stated, you will learn what you can and can't run at the same time with the gen.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:25 PM   #4

Running a 50A rv on a 30A adapter will not power everything as one leg is not powered when using the adapter. Chances are certain outlets and 1 of 2 AC units and possibly the microwave will not run depending on how it's wired from factory. Most everything else will likely run easily on a 4000 watt generator. But, loads add up quickly. A blow dryer, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, AC, and dont forget your water heater if on electric will easily overload it. Choose loads as needed.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:35 PM   #5

Does your unit have 2 air conditioners? I had a TT (not Jayco brand) that only had one, but was prewired for a second. Because of this, it had a 50A plug, but everything worked using a 30A adapter.
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:52 PM   #6

Well everyone, as much as I appreciate all of your reply’s and information. I didn’t see the battery disconnect in the storage compartment as it was switched off. Next upgrade I do believe will be a more low profile disconnect or at least a guard.
bretaicherllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Running a 50A rv on a 30A adapter will not power everything as one leg is not powered when using the adapter. .
That is not correct, both legs have power but are limited to 30 amps total from the post or geny since there is a jumper in the adapter that connects the two.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That is not correct, both legs have power but are limited to 30 amps total from the post or geny since there is a jumper in the adapter that connects the two.

Yes, I am wrong, Grumpy is correct. Both legs are tied together. And after remembering awhile the inop plugs and AC are my own doing with my inverter connected to only one leg. Scary thought I wired my house back in the day!😯 I'll go to my room now...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote