Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #21

My only beef with my camper came today. I knew going into buying a new camper that things would happen and repairs will need to be made. Today my issue was not with faulty components or lackluster design, but workmanship.
I went to turn my heater on last night and it didn’t work. Through the help of you tube I figured out it was debris. But no debris by my use, it was debris that was left over by whoever assembled it. They left a plastic bag in the heating compartment and thank fully the safety components prevented the heater from turning on. There were so many metal shavings in there as well that I am surprised the heater has worked this long.
I fixed it so that’s good but it burns me for the lack of pride in your job. That was just plain lazy of someone.
Good thing is I Still love my camper and now I have learned how to diagnose and or remove my heater
Happy turkey day
FastCletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Hurricane force winds and the earthquake effect of rolling down the road aren't the reasons why the foam in my Jayco sofa was flat after just the first season. Or why my beds fell apart.
This is a good point. No amount of due diligence would have predicted that. It's the same with my rig. I spent $900 to redo the foam and springs in the couch, and I know I'm going to have to spent more on the rest of it. I had a 96 Jayco and the foam was perfect, so it's not like they don't know how to do it right. So ok, I got money to throw at it, but a lot of newbies don't. Some of us that have 40 years experience remember when quality really wasn't an issue. So when newbies experience this they are outraged. They don't know where to go for due diligence to find all this out. I really think we have an obligation to those new to the game, to welcome them with kindness and respect, and not to put them down with "you didn't do your homework" kind of stuff.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #23

I hear these at least used to be pretty good. But the warranty sucked.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...75089805502650
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Check out these 2 manufacturers. They seem to put out the highest quality units for the money but I'm sure they have their problems as well.
https://northwoodmfg.com/
https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/
Having swapped out our little 195RB that had mostly minor issues during the 4+ years we had it for an Outdoors RV unit I can tell you the ORV's can and do suffer from some of the same issues as most any other brand. After taking delivery we had about a month before our first real trip with it. I opened up every access panel I could and found much of the same as in the 195RB - a fair amount of leftover construction debris as well as a couple loose plumbing connections that did leak a little bit. I also found the same kind of air bubbles in the caulk along the top of the rain gutters that did cause a leak in the 195RB. Those were popped and filled with Dicor before they could become a problem. And one of the hubs ended up being too tight and was running hot so that had to be loosened up and then re-tightened to spec before heading out.

Where these two manufacturers differentiate themselves from others is in the quality of engineering of their units. They are designed for a more specific type of use and that is reflected in the heavier duty custom frames, higher axle ratings than other comparable units and more "standard" features such as off-road suspensions that are offered as options-only on other units. The appliances and other main components are for the most part the same as everyone else uses. Our ORV has the exact same microwave that our 195RB had for example. And they are still assembled basically the same way everyone else does and that means every once in a while a less than acceptable unit comes along.

I do feel that they are worth the higher cost but you need to be every bit as diligent in your PDI and be prepared to walk if you aren't happy just as you would with any other brand.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:28 AM   #25

I bought used. My 31FS is a 2014 model and it not perfect, but it is well built. It's not a car, it a motorhome that comes as a Ford chassis and then customized to create a home on wheels. It has components from dozens of other manufacturers. I'm not crazy enough to think that I'm going to get a house on wheels, actually built by dozens of companies, that is without issues. My Jayco is awesome. It has flaws. So do i.

DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCletus View Post
Through the help of you tube I figured out it was debris. But no debris by my use, it was debris that was left over by whoever assembled it. They left a plastic bag in the heating compartment and thank fully the safety components prevented the heater from turning on. There were so many metal shavings in there as well that I am surprised the heater has worked this long.
My new 2019 had lots of mfg. debris also.Wood and metal chips.
The assemblers only clean the main compartment !
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #27

I know a lot of people get on this site and rant and I can understand it and I actually sympathize with them. Other people compare their units to houses and say even a house has problems but the builder doesn’t tell you to stay in a hotel for a month or two especially if your full timing while they fix the problem. It seems a lot of problems go back to the design engineers of the units. They put heaters that are inaccessible, residential refrigerators where you can’t open the door enough to get the shelves out to clean it, or Roof seals or joints that you have to caulk every six months. Or floors that squeak because they want the screws every 12 inches instead of 9 inches. Just because your unit is perfect and you’re very satisfied with it try walking a mile in their shoes and see if you’d put up with the aggravation that they have to. Believe me I’ve been there many times. Well that’s my rant.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I know a lot of people get on this site and rant and I can understand it and I actually sympathize with them. Other people compare their units to houses and say even a house has problems but the builder doesn’t tell you to stay in a hotel for a month or two especially if your full timing while they fix the problem.
Did full time and JAYCO authorized mobile service to replace 2 bad Coleman units(months apart) and some minor work. Also most extended warranties cover the mobile service call even during the initial warranty period.

To me the hotel reference is a mute point, since you don't move your house to another city or state. I've seen many construction blunders where things had to be redone so things fit..

A friend just had to have their (new house) kitchen island completely removed and rebuilt since it was wrong and it took 3 trades to do it. Granite installer, plumber and carpenter over 3 days. Also the master shower didn't work since there was a pinched water line in the wall. which wasn't found until the day they closed and moved in. Luckily they had a shower on the 2nd floor. That took several weeks for a plumber to show up. He had to cut 8 holes in the wall to find the problem.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #29

My motto.... If I can't say something good about a Jayco.... I just won't say anything.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
Nothing worse than all negative reviews on Jayco or other manufacturer products. If you read the relevant posts no one should expect perfection and should expect to have some problems. You are driving down the hiway creating hurricane force winds on your rig as well as minor earthquakes due to road conditions. No procedures/systems of quality control can account for all possible situations. Do your due diligence and accept the outcome(within reason)

The industry is really glad to have you. You concentrated all the excuses in one short post .

No need for them to use a level, a tape measure, and a minimum of skill .

The hurricanes, potholes, earthquakes and what else are there cover their butt. Is it not a nice ride for them ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #31

If you really want one you put up with it.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #32
Site Team

Initial Quality poll, 75% rated 7 or better out of 10

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oll-31120.html

Quality after two years poll, 80% rated 7 or better

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oll-31121.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Nothing worse than all negative reviews on Jayco or other manufacturer products. If you read the relevant posts no one should expect perfection and should expect to have some problems. You are driving down the hiway creating hurricane force winds on your rig as well as minor earthquakes due to road conditions. No procedures/systems of quality control can account for all possible situations. Do your due diligence and accept the outcome(within reason)
All due respect, I think you have the wrong attitude. The fact that this attitude is all too prevalent is the reason we have the quality issues we do today.

Personally, I don't expect perfection, I demand it. However, I don't complain on the internet if I don't receive it, I write the manufacturer and then in the future I buy from their competitor.

We live in an age of Lean manufacturing, TQM and Six Sigma. The last 4 companies I worked for all subscribed to these metrics. Continuous improvement is the way things should be. In the case of these cited companies they all were leaders in their respective fields. In my most recent experience, quality complaints amounted to a 4th decimal place percentage.

What I see online, as far as Jayco goes, is construction debris, utility holes punched with a hammer and other things that are not excusable.

Some of these issues may have been caused by an oversold market. From what I read sales volumes are down now, so now is the time for ALL of the manufacturers to get their act together. But this isn't going to happen if customers continue to accept bad product.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
The industry is really glad to have you. You concentrated all the excuses in one short post .

No need for them to use a level, a tape measure, and a minimum of skill .

The hurricanes, potholes, earthquakes and what else are there cover their butt. Is it not a nice ride for them ?
The industry is also glad to have you as I see you purchased and new rig in 2019..I assume you did your your diligence and purchased the best product you could find on the market regardless of its shortfalls.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Nothing worse than all negative reviews on Jayco or other manufacturer products.

No procedures/systems of quality control can account for all possible situations.

Do your due diligence and accept the outcome(within reason)

My generator implodes, shortly out of warranty and I'm out $3500.
My AC dies after just three years - leaks out all of its coolant, and I'm out $800.
The sail switch on the furnace breaks after 1 year - only $100.

The hydraulic jacks are making all sorts of weird noises.
The Norcold fridge works, about 90% of the time.

Oh yeah.
I'm going to just roll over and accept the outcome...

I'll be straight up - I don't #$%^^ or whine about it.
I accept the fact that RVs are made like this and I'm dumb enough to join the fray.

But do not think this is a quality product.
They're making and shipping junk because folks like me are willing to pony up tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars and buy it.

What breaks my heart is anyone who doesn't know the real cost of these things before playing the game

Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #36

Quote:
The industry is also glad to have you as I see you purchased and new rig in 2019..I assume you did your your diligence and purchased the best product you could find on the market regardless of its shortfalls.

Of course they are glad to have a sucker like me. Due diligence as much as you want its when you use it more than once that you start to get the real picture .

Its not my first RV, and its my second Jayco. The 2 years warranty and having a great dealer is what brought me back to Jayco and certainly not the quality workmanship they brag about. Even my dealership cant believe what he gets from the factory most of the time .

I knew what I was buying , I've losted my illusion long time ago.

On top of that the price have not much to do in regards of quality, an old fellow bought a Entegra IIRC last winter . $564000.00 US and that was a piece of junk on delivery , water leaks, hydraulic failing , aqua hot failed and dump all the coolant on his way to the resort, molding falling appart, tv antenna and satellite dish not even wired !!! and many more stuff, so it was not much better than a Pop up in regards of workmanship.

This whole industry is really sick , and if we kept finding excuses for them for the lack or even absence of quality nothing is going to change , and by quality I mean simply improving the workmanship , that would make a uge difference especially in the so called hurricane wind and earthquake ...

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:22 AM   #37

Hate to be the bearer of bad news (not really) but there is no such thing as the "RV Quality Standard". Until such time as there is a published standard RV Quality is subjective at best and is based solely on the opinion of the individual consumer and not on a set of objective criteria or measurements.

As far as Recreational Vehicles are concerned, quality and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #38

2021 Jayso Seismic 5th wheel

Thinking about buying a Jayco 5th wheel. Think very carefully. I am on the edge of suing Jayco and making them buy back this $130,000.00 5th wheel. It has been nightmare from day one when the Spartanburg SC dealer sold the unit I chose right out from under me after signing paper work! This unit they found has been at the dealerships more than it has been in my driveway! Listed below are some of the issues we have discovered and still dealing with...
1. Internet Router not working

2. Deck TV not working

3. Rear toy hauler seats have stripped our screws.

4. Rear toilet leaks

5. Water Pump for bottled water does not work.

6. Saw dust and wood chips coming out of all HVAC vents

7. Rear toy hauler doors leak rain water won't stay shut when traveling
8. Loses 2/3 of fresh after while traveling just 50 miles

9. A/C not cooling sufficient10. Main Refrigerator issues will not cool w/o unplugging inside fridge.
11. Lock on shower door broken
12. Awning 2 not working.
13. Molding missing under ladder.
14. Deck fridge not working
15. Auto leveling does not work, crashed completely.
16. After 4 in State trips, LR tire is bald, has bent axle.

17. Master bedroom slide works occasionally.

I'm a reasonable man who knows with a new unit there may be some kinks to work out. However, this is outrageous and unacceptable. I would not recommend anyone to buy a Jayco product of anything!

Lin H.
Raleigh NC

fieldstreamfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldstreamfarm View Post
Thinking about buying a Jayco 5th wheel. Think very carefully. I am on the edge of suing Jayco and making them buy back this $130,000.00 5th wheel. It has been nightmare from day one when the Spartanburg SC dealer sold the unit I chose right out from under me after signing paper work! This unit they found has been at the dealerships more than it has been in my driveway! Listed below are some of the issues we have discovered and still dealing with...
1. Internet Router not working

2. Deck TV not working

3. Rear toy hauler seats have stripped our screws.

4. Rear toilet leaks

5. Water Pump for bottled water does not work.

6. Saw dust and wood chips coming out of all HVAC vents

7. Rear toy hauler doors leak rain water won't stay shut when traveling
8. Loses 2/3 of fresh after while traveling just 50 miles

9. A/C not cooling sufficient10. Main Refrigerator issues will not cool w/o unplugging inside fridge.
11. Lock on shower door broken
12. Awning 2 not working.
13. Molding missing under ladder.
14. Deck fridge not working
15. Auto leveling does not work, crashed completely.
16. After 4 in State trips, LR tire is bald, has bent axle.

17. Master bedroom slide works occasionally.

I'm a reasonable man who knows with a new unit there may be some kinks to work out. However, this is outrageous and unacceptable. I would not recommend anyone to buy a Jayco product of anything!

Lin H.
Raleigh NC

This is a perfect example of the points made within this thread. Here is a guy who on his very first forum post has a laundry list of issues and is ready to sue Jayco and is warning all forum members not to buy a Jayco.. I am not saying that his complaints aren't valid just that he seems to accept no responsibility for any of it and it all started with him accepting a unit that he didn't actually negotiate on. after being duped by his dealer...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #40
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
This is a perfect example of the points made within this thread. Here is a guy who on his very first forum post has a laundry list of issues and is ready to sue Jayco and is warning all forum members not to buy a Jayco.. I am not saying that his complaints aren't valid just that he seems to accept no responsibility for any of it and it all started with him accepting a unit that he didn't actually negotiate on. after being duped by his dealer...
Really, gaslighting for Jayco any? So it's partly his fault for buying a lemon? I'm pretty sure it's not. Is it my fault because I didn't know before hand the upholstery in my Jayco was going to look like a hand grenade had gone off inside after only a couple of years? How many dollars has Jayco spent reembursing owners who are having to recover the dumpster fire they unknowingly walked into. Should I recommend my neighbor go buy a Jayco or should I warn him off?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote