Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2022, 06:23 AM   #101
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
I have to ask, then why did you buy it?
The same thing can be asked of the mfg'er and the dealer, if you were aware the quality was poor why did you sell it? It's not a matter of cost, as in, if you wanted quality you should have bought a higher end RV. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
The same thing can be asked of the mfg'er and the dealer, if you were aware the quality was poor why did you sell it? It's not a matter of cost, as in, if you wanted quality you should have bought a higher end RV. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.
Easy answer: They sell it because people will buy it — and they did in droves the last couple of years. I doubt every single buyer was expecting Airstream quality at their Jayco price. But it’s good enough to be highly profitable for a huge mega manufacturer like Thor. Sure, in a perfect world, anything worth doing is worth doing right. And we’d have world peace too. But welcome to capitalism.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #103
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Easy answer: They sell it because people will buy it — and they did in droves the last couple of years. I doubt every single buyer was expecting Airstream quality at their Jayco price. But it’s good enough to be highly profitable for a huge mega manufacturer like Thor. Sure, in a perfect world, anything worth doing is worth doing right. And we’d have world peace too. But welcome to capitalism.
Okay, thanks for contributing your opinion.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:31 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
You said it all and all you said was right on.

Maybe our problems are because of the Millenniums. Certainly its not the Greatest Generation that served in the war. So another maybe is because of the Boomers. I dunno.

Maybe its simply naivete. I personally didn't think about Airstream quality because I thought they were ugly. But I at least thought that Jayco would meet my requirements. So far it has.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:30 PM   #105

To be fair there are a lot of Airstream problems too. Just Google Airstream leak ….

Plus there are obviously lots of AS owners who love their trailers, but washing it after each trip (recommended) and waxing it minimum 2x a year is not for me.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:03 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
good point! but compare a Tiffin to a JayFlight without some other factor?

If you had a Tiffin or Prevost and took it to the dealer... would they keep it for 5 Months without putting the house batteries on a charger?
What I was saying is don't care what the cost was there are going to be problems with anything. Not pluging in the batterys was on the dealer not the coach.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:36 AM   #107

sketchy quality

The industry as a whole builds cheesy products. Weight and cost the primary drivers. What I found is that brands vary where they are cheesy. I bought a 2022 Jayco 195rb. I went with the Jayco because it did not have a slide and had "better bones" than the other brands. Plus, during the plague rush to build, I figured simpler was better., and picked the simplest couples camper I could find. Less is more, the more bells and whistles, more problems to be had ! I did the inspection and found a couple of trim items that dealer half assed fixed. I took delivery and immediately did the upgrades found here for the 195rb. I use it as a seasonal with the intention of traveling around at some point. Found a water leak that damaged some trim during the 1st week of use. Simple fix, tighten the fitting! Have since gone through and snugged EVERY fitting in unit. Jayco could have done it right and the dealer should have caught it. They didn't, I did. So after upgrading seats, beds, vent fan, etc, camper is good to go. Everything worked great all summer I checked all roof seams when I bought it and at end of season. Covered unit during winter, I will coat/seal roof this summer and coat/seal all body trim as well. I went with Fiberglass siding as it provides for fewer seams. Keep the water out and the units can last a long time. Bottom line, any RV is not plug and play. Plan on messing with'm to some degree. If one is not reasonably handy, RVs are not for you. I spent on the lower level knowing that more money spent does not get a better quality unit, just a different one. Do the homework, and practice preemptive maint. If one is not willing to do that, hotels are the better way to go !
Pauliewog is offline   Reply With Quote