Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Negative reviews

Nothing worse than all negative reviews on Jayco or other manufacturer products. If you read the relevant posts no one should expect perfection and should expect to have some problems. You are driving down the hiway creating hurricane force winds on your rig as well as minor earthquakes due to road conditions. No procedures/systems of quality control can account for all possible situations. Do your due diligence and accept the outcome(within reason)
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Well said! Here's to your mindset being contagious.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

I concur, well said
Old 11-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

It's not that simple.

Jayco products are built to fit the market, and the market wants low prices over high quality. So, Jayco puts out a low quality product, as do the others. Sure, they could build them much better, but they'd go out of business.

Hurricane force winds and the earthquake effect of rolling down the road aren't the reasons why the foam in my Jayco sofa was flat after just the first season. Or why my beds fell apart. That was the cheap foam and the 1"x1" pine supports. The list of quality shortcomings in my 26BH is long. The compromises are numerous and deliberate. I just fix and upgrade as I go along.

But, I knew all that going in, and bought our trailer anyway. The quality is questionable, but i'm handy, the price was reasonable, and the trailer has served us well.

The low quality is going to take some people by surprise, particularly if they haven't done their homework. Or, in some cases, the purchaser may have understood there are quality issues, but their particular unit came with an overwhelming amount of issues.

I use and enjoy this forum, partly out of general interest, but primarily to help me with maintenance, upgrades, and repairs that contribute to hassle-free trailering and camping. I tow my trailer with a Ford F-150, but, I've never visited a forum relating to it. But then, my Ford isn't held together with STAPLES.

I agree, there's no point in giving negative reviews or going on rants other than getting it off your chest. It doesn't really help others. All the discussions on how to fix the under-engineered and under-built portions of these units is enough to get the message across to other potential purchasers out there.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #5

I agree 100% with Siamese.

I have owned campers and travel trailers for about 25 years now with family members owning them longer than myself. Including in-laws, there are 5 families that we go camping with on a regular basis. On average, we get about 6 to 7 years of use before we trade them in for new. (I kept my last one 13 years).

The frustration that I see here on the board about quality is that it seems to be getting worse over the past few years, as stated mostly by those who have purchased 2 or more RV’s, with a few newbies thrown in. I have seen it with my own family’s new purchases. My brother purchased a 2018 JayFeather 27BHB (because I purchased a 2015 Jayco that is of good quality) and I have to concur with him, it is really a piece of crap! With the fit and finish plus major defects in some components, I could not believe they let this unit out of the factory.

I am somewhat satisfied with my 2015 Jayco 28RLS, not too many major issues, just a lot of little ones that I repaired myself. But when I compare my Jayco with the quality of my 2001 Terry Fleetwood, that unit was bulletproof. I got good resale on that camper and its still being used today on a permanent site near my home.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
Site Team

So, who do you believe does still make a quality, well-built, relatively trouble-free unit for the money? I can't seem to find anyone who does. Even RVers I personally know who own a high-end class "A" are not without their share of problems.

My soon to be 20 YO Eagle 266 FBS has stood the test of time. Every once in a while, I get that itch to maybe think about replacing it, but when the DW and I go to the RV show to look, we're brought back to the reality that there is nothing they build today that will provide the overall satisfaction of what we already have.

Unless something disastrous happens to our TT, it will be with us to the end.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #7

We have owned a number of campers, 5wheels and TT’s. None have been perfect! Some certainly worse than others. Automotive lack of quality control led to “lemon laws”. Those laws don’t apply to RVs, maybe for good reason, My Jayco has been the best RV we have owned, despite what the potholes of California can throw at us. If I were looking for another unit, my first choice would be Jayco again!
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #8

Sure some models can be built better but then the cost would put some buyers out of the market.

We bought a new 2019 jayflght because of the lower cost.
I understand how these are built and are not bullet proof.
I think being a handyman will help with any future problems.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
So, who do you believe does still make a quality, well-built, relatively trouble-free unit for the money? I can't seem to find anyone who does. Even RVers I personally know who own a high-end class "A" are not without their share of problems.
I think you're looking at the glass half empty. As I've said and will continue to say, many are very happy with their rigs and they are basically trouble free, I being one of them. The few issues I had over 40+ years were with the components and not the rig itself and they were fixed/replaced expeditiously by the dealer or STARCRAFT/JAYCO directly while we were on the road. The only major repair was the stress crack on our 2015 PINNACLE and as soon as I contacted JAYCO I had an appointment at the factory.

The problem continues to be you rarely hear from the "HAPPY CAMPER".. I have two newer JAYCO's parked directly in back of me and both are very happy owners. Also had a fellow pull in last year with a new JAYCO rig and he was extremely happy. Another neighbor has a new FR product which he took on multiple long trips this past summer with no problems. We also have a multitude of other brands in our park and again the vast majority are very satisfied with their purchase.

Are there problems,? YES. Are they rampant? NO

We can't be the only "lucky ones" out there.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #10

I tell people that you can only pick two from this list:
Light weight
Inexpensive
Sturdy

What most rvs are being built for are the first two.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think you're looking at the glass half empty. As I've said and will continue to say, many are very happy with their rigs and they are basically trouble free, I being one of them. The few issues I had over 40+ years were with the components and not the rig itself and they were fixed/replaced expeditiously by the dealer or STARCRAFT/JAYCO directly while we were on the road. The only major repair was the stress crack on our 2015 PINNACLE and as soon as I contacted JAYCO I had an appointment at the factory.

The problem continues to be you rarely hear from the "HAPPY CAMPER".. I have two newer JAYCO's parked directly in back of me and both are very happy owners. Also had a fellow pull in last year with a new JAYCO rig and he was extremely happy. Another neighbor has a new FR product which he took on multiple long trips this past summer with no problems. We also have a multitude of other brands in our park and again the vast majority are very satisfied with their purchase.

Are there problems,? YES. Are they rampant? NO

We can't be the only "lucky ones" out there.
I'm one. Only "failure" to a trim piece on ours was created by me. Well not me really it I shouldn't lie like that. It was a cold can, or 2 of cold beverage that caused it
Old 11-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #12

x2 Grumpy.

We should start a poll on how many new sticks and bricks you bought and how many new RVs you have bought. I personally (to coin that phrase) "have horror stories about my sticks and bricks contractor.

Maybe classroom training prior to approval(for some) for a new RV. I spent thousands like most on a rig that I knew very little about and judged on how things are not performing. After owning it several months/years and after trading it for another rig again, that nobody knows about and their judging comments about it. Just to say "They sure don't build them the same". Hurricane force winds - earthquakes, are these areas that test our level of understanding.

Total crap.

My Grandmother told me "If you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen"
My Grandfather told me "You don't know how easy you have it"

Well my fellow travelers, "You don't know how much better/easier you have it".

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #13
Site Team

I owned a Jayco for 7 years, and now a Coachmen for 3 years. Neither of these trailers have ever been back to a dealer for warranty or non warranty service. Were they perfect? No, there were some minor issues I dealt with myself. So bottom line is I've been a satisfied owner.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
So, who do you believe does still make a quality, well-built, relatively trouble-free unit for the money? I can't seem to find anyone who does.
Check out these 2 manufacturers. They seem to put out the highest quality units for the money but I'm sure they have their problems as well.
https://northwoodmfg.com/

https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #15

My Hummingbird had to go back three times for warranty repair. Each time I did report it here, but not as a "Bash" but as FYI. Each time I was treated fairly by both the dealer (Fretz in PA) and Jayco. I also reported the successful repairs and my approval of the process.

All three were QC items that should not have happened, but not something that even the best inspector would have seen once the unit was complete.

To date we have about 20,000 miles on the Bird and are getting ready to migrate to Florida for the snow season.

Reporting problems and resolution is, IMHO, a viable part of this list. Also seeking advice in solving problems. Bashing for the sake of whining or bitching isn't appropriate, either here or elsewhere in life.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #16

I still consider myself a relative newbie, having owned our Jayco just over two years. I expected there would be issues now and then, and there have been, but overall we’re tickled pink with our Jayco. We have a warm, comfortable “vacation home” with a queen bed, microwave, oven, range, hot shower, toilet, bathtub, fold-out couch, wrap-around windows — and AC! — for less than 18 grand. That’s more than what my grandparents owned as their real home. Our dealer has been great about promptly fixing a few things like a dead converter and radio, which are not Jayco products.

If there is frustration, it is with workmanship that is done poorly when it could be done much better for virtually no more cost or time. Like vacuuming up metal shavings or making sure a staple actually hits the wood stud. Or ensuring seams meet up or pex fittings are tight. But these are things, sadly, you expect in days of a flush economy and booming production. And I am OK with fixing them myself. And JOF is a godsend in helping learn how to do it.

Our TT is a total luxury, not a necessity. It’s far more than I ever thought I’d have when we were working hard just to raise a family years ago. So, in the spirit of tomorrow, I am happy with my Jayco and truly thankful!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
Sure some models can be built better but then the cost would put some buyers out of the market.

We bought a new 2019 jayflght because of the lower cost.
I understand how these are built and are not bullet proof.
I think being a handyman will help with any future problems.
Edit:After our first outing in Oct. our 248RSBW developed a water leak.
Took it it for warranty work and the SW said they had to replace the P Trap under the shower.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #18

To fix the quality, or lack of, what needs to happen is what happened YEARS ago in the automotive industry. The big three were all producing junk vehicles, UNTIL the Japanese started building vehicles and imported then here in the states. Yes, imports such as BMW, Mercedes, etc, were here and had high quality but, they had a high price tag that only the rich and shameless could afford. The rest of us commoners started to buy the affordable imports and they held up better and lasted longer. That's what forced the big three to really have to step up their game to compete. And until the Jap's start to build RV's, this is what we get.
Owning three different 5th wheels, so far my 17 Northpoint has been the best, knock on wood. In a very close 2nd place was our first 5th wheel a 2004 Montana Mountaineer. And in last place, and will always be last place no matter how many more trailers I own in the future because of all the issues I had, is my previous 5th wheel a 2015 Forest River Sierra Select. That thing must have been started on a drunk Friday and completed on a hangover Monday.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #19

My daughter, who works in social media constantly reminds me that most people that post do so because they are unhappy and want to vent. We have a 2017 23MRB and the quality is very good. There are some compromises that Jayco could address such as attaching cabinet paneling with a bit more caulk, some minor finish work, etc. But, we've put over 12,000 miles in the TT and are very happy. In regard to service, our dealer is great and fought with Jayco over replacing the entire roof when one edge popped a hole about the size of a quarter. We spent 6 months looking for our TT and found that Jayco had quality better than most and their 2 year warranty was a significant factor in the purchase.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #20

As many have stated on this thread, quality issues across the RV manufacturers exists. I've been camping with a large group of friends for many years who own a variety of RVs. All have experienced some issues with their rig. Some have had great results with their dealers, some haven't. Some of the issues have been minor, some more significant. What I find great about this forum is when an issue is posted, oftentimes someone has a "fix" that a DIY'er can attempt themselves. Thanks to all that take the time to help.
dljs1941 is offline   Reply With Quote