Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #1

New Campers...we want to be good neighbors.

My wife and I just purchased our new Jayco 25RB. We will be starting our camping trips this spring. We want to be good campers, neighbors and stewards on the road.

What are your do's and don'ts?

Pet peeves?

Campground etiquette?

We listen to experience!
Rodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Don't let little things spoil your trip and they are all little things.

Years ago, we left home on a month long trip and the first morning out, I dropped my fifth wheel on the bed and crushed it. We continued on our trip and had a great time. Got the truck fixed when we returned home. It was rough looking in the mirror for a few days but it did not spoil our enjoyment.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodek View Post
My wife and I just purchased our new Jayco 25RB. We will be starting our camping trips this spring. We want to be good campers, neighbors and stewards on the road.

What are your do's and don'ts?

Pet peeves?

Campground etiquette?

We listen to experience!
Be friendly!

Clean up after your pets, dogs especially. Keep dogs leashed or penned. Train them to not bark at everything.

Keep noise down.

Don't take short cuts through other people's campsites.

Clean up after yourself; leave your campsite cleaner than you found it.

Got kids? Keep them under control and teach them campground etiquette, too (kids are frequent offenders).
Have fun, and help others.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #4

WOW! Thank you for seeking out this information!! If only more people out there were as interested as you are in being good stewards of the hobby (LOVE that word BTW, good choice).

Here's a sticky on this forum that offers some good basic information and a place to start on the "mechanics" of your rig: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...now-15495.html

If you know how to operate your rig properly, it'll take you a long way to being a good neighbor. So use that sticky as a guide for learning the ins & outs of your particular rig. Read the owner's manual; it's not specific enough IMO, but there's a lot of good info in there.

There is a lot of nuance IMO about CG behavior, so going over every specific "do and don't" could be a lengthy list. Basically, know and follow the posted rules where you're camping, and be respectful and courteous to others.

DO pay attention to your surroundings and those people around you.
DON'T make the mistake of thinking you're the only person out there.
DO respect the environment and other peoples' right to enjoy it; don't leave a mess or destroy stuff, and IMO noise pollution is a "mess", so keep it down.

I could go on and on, but so long as you operate responsibly, respect others' right to enjoyment of the same resource you're trying to enjoy, follow the posted rules/regulations/laws, and be courteous to our fellow campers, you should be good to go. To me all of this is common sense, but as they say, that's not so "common" anymore.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #5

Welcome to the site from SW Michigan!

In no particular order...off the top of my head...
Don't cut across camp sites.
Leave your site cleaner than when you arrived.
Don't leave you bright LED lights on outside all night.
Greet everyone with a smile and a hello.
Don't play music too loud.
Enjoy your stay; making memories.
Don't yell at your kids at the CG.
Keep your pet(s) under control.
Clean up after your pet(s).

Sure there's more; but good plain common sense will go a long way.

Happy trails!
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Team

Just be considerate of others as most would normally do anyhow. Don't play your music real loud, expect the same consideration from others, especially in a crowded CG.

When you check into a campground take a minute to see if the Campground Rules have anything different than the normal considerations. Some don't allow carpets on the grass, etc. Nice to know even before you get there.

Some states allow grey water dumping, others provide a place to dump it in the cg.

Some states do not allow picking up deadwood for fires, others encourage it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #7

Don’t be noisy or filthy.

Out last trip was pretty bad with noise. On one side we had someone with an open frame generator that they started and stopped with quiet hours. On the other we had someone who left their yapping dog tied to the same tree all day long.

Pick up after yourself. Leave the site nice for the next camper.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Veterans usually have no problem lending a hand or some knowledge.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Don’t be noisy or filthy.

Out last trip was pretty bad with noise. On one side we had someone with an open frame generator that they started and stopped with quiet hours. On the other we had someone who left their yapping dog tied to the same tree all day long.

Pick up after yourself. Leave the site nice for the next camper.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Veterans usually have no problem lending a hand or some knowledge.
YES!!!

I would rather take a few minutes out of my day and help you than to have you do something that may affect my ability to enjoy myself. Well, and I'm a helpful person by nature, so I'd rather help than watch you struggle.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #9

I agree with all that was posted. I will add one thing regarding music. Don't assume others will like what you do. If you can hear it in the next campsite it's too loud.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #10

A lot depends on what type of camping you like to do. I have different expectations for different type of camp grounds. If I am at state park, I tend to expect a quieter crowd, lots of campfires, kids on the campground roads with bikes and so forth.

Private CG, I expect things are much louder, more people cutting through campsites, kids running out from behind vehicles to get to the campground attractions. Tend to be less fires, more drinking, Big diesel pushers starting up and idling in the early mornings, so just more noise and commotion.

BLM land, mixed bag. I do not get to them as often as I would like (none near me). It also depends on the time of year. May have UTVers, just people relaxing in nature who what to do photography, to people who just like to hike, or site around. Along with generators.

My expectations are different for different types of camping. But we are always, respectful of others, try to keep our noise down our outside lights to a minimum, we will socialize maybe with a neighboring camper, ALWAYS keep our site clean, pick up after ourselves and our dog. Understand the campground rules. For example our state parks only allow you to park on the gravel spurs, not on the grass (most ranger will make you move), or collect firewood. To me noise is the biggest complaint most people have and are culprits of.

I have no issues with people taking their time to back into a space, never rush it to get out of someone's way, that is how bad things happen.

Pet peeves, cutting through campsites, loud music/generators, along with driving the wrong way down one way CG loops.

Again my expectations very based on where I am camping. Probably why I have not been to a private CG in over 4 years.

Most importantly have a good time and relax

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #11

Not etiquette, but chock your camper tires first thing you do.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #12

You folks are all very kind. I'm taking notes.
Rodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #13

Remember that you love your spouse, while parking
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Remember that you love your spouse, while parking
"I'm sorry for what I said while parking the camper/trailering the boat"

BTDT!! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #15

PLEASE! Do not burn plastic, styrofoam or cardboard boxes in your firepit.

Thank You!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
PLEASE! Do not burn plastic, styrofoam or cardboard boxes in your firepit.

Thank You!
I thought that was mosquito repellent, and I need a little more light, so starting a forest fire should do that. (cardboard ash likes to fly away while it is still burning)

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #17

First off, good for you to ask first before making an unintentional mistake. Most of us have learned the hard way. I’m a 3rd generation RVer, so I’ve had these unwritten rules beaten into my head by my parents and grandparents. I’m doing the same to my kids.

I agree with everything that was already posted and I’ll add one more. Please watch your language because other people are around, especially kids. Next to us last night was a very loud group with loud music. I let it go until the stream of profanities came out. Your voice carries very far at night. Alcohol was a factor in this situation.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #18

This will be somewhat repetitive, but my top pet peeves include:
— Campers next-door, and farther, who carry on loud conversations around the fire well past “quiet time.” Trailers have virtually no soundproofing and even loud talking inside your trailer can be heard in yours. Alcohol-fueled groups laughing and talking late into the evening are rude.
— Leaving the bright outside lights on all night, especially the searing LEDs that shoot straight into your windows.
— Music blasting from your awning speakers, boom box or pickup.
— Hammer drills to lower your stabs when you pull in at 10 p.m. or hitch up to leave at 7 a.m. Actually hammer drills or impact wrenches any time.
— Thinking your dog is “special” and doesn’t need to be on a leash. Until it charges mine.
— Letting me worry more about your kids than you as they are flying through the campground roads on their bikes with no helmets and paying no attention to the 1-ton pickup about to squash them.

What bothers some folks may seem perfectly acceptable to others. We try to err on being overly considerate if possible. Enjoy camping!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:00 PM   #19

Lots of good advice so far.
Don’t be afraid to enlist your DW’s help when backing into a camp site. If that’s not possible then get out and look as many times as you need to park it without running into a picnic table or fire pit or electric pedestal or tree or any other obstacle. If you have slides or an awning make sure you have room to put them out before setting up. Not a good feeling when you’re all level and have water and electric hooked up and you can’t open a slide or awning.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
Lots of good advice so far.
Don’t be afraid to enlist your DW’s help when backing into a camp site. If that’s not possible then get out and look as many times as you need to park it without running into a picnic table or fire pit or electric pedestal or tree or any other obstacle. If you have slides or an awning make sure you have room to put them out before setting up. Not a good feeling when you’re all level and have water and electric hooked up and you can’t open a slide or awning.
A couple of times I've seen a water spigot taken down. Luckily didn't break them, but will need repaired for sure.
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote