Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #11

Some older Chevy's are notorious for their instrument panel dying and doing strange things. My dad has an 03 model, and his was doing the speedo tricks. Finally it died altogether. The cheapest replacement is from NAPA. At the time, it was only $240.00 with a lifetime warranty. Super easy to replace yourself, plug and play.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #12

That's good to know, thank you.

okieinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieinalaska View Post
Craig wondered the same thing. It is 4x4. The speedometer had gone crazya few times before over the years but always started working again. Once I was doing 50 and it said I was doing 110. Also strangely enough it now gets 20 mpg. When historically it only got 14 and got worse recently.
I suggest you get it checked out. Maybe a good 4WD shop could verify that the front and rear axle ratios are the same. You could seriously muck up your drive train with 4WD engaged if the two are different!

Stuck cables and pickup errors can cause wacky speedometer and odometer readings, but you just had the rear axle replaced. I'd find a way to be absolutely certain that repair/replacement is not the cause.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #14

The ratios are the same. First off if they were different it wouldn't have fit in the original box in my axle, second the 4 wheel drive works fine. It would have grenaded if it was different. We tested and questioned all this before leaving town. If it was going to blow up we wanted it to do it right then and they would have paid to fix it. The teeth on the gears were all wonky on the old parts and worn down. I guess it had been having problems for a long time now. I am not a mechanic this is what I was told by my friend and the mechanic, I may be explaining it wrong.
okieinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieinalaska View Post
The ratios are the same. First off if they were different it wouldn't have fit in the original box in my axle, second the 4 wheel drive works fine. It would have grenaded if it was different. We tested and questioned all this before leaving town. If it was going to blow up we wanted it to do it right then and they would have paid to fix it. The teeth on the gears were all wonky on the old parts and worn down. I guess it had been having problems for a long time now. I am not a mechanic this is what I was told by my friend and the mechanic, I may be explaining it wrong.
NO, you explained it right and I feel better. Thank you. I was concerned that you'd be some place where you NEEDED 4WD, and BANG. It would all come apart.

Had two flat tires - at the same time - and one spare on the Denali Highway years ago. Could only imagine you in a similar, or worse, situation with your vehicle.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote