Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #1

New Jayco owner

Just purchased new Jayco Jay Flight 40Loft. Very disappointed. First night we slept in it we had no heat in the kitchen or living room. Techs looked at it and rerouted the heat ducts, that worked the next day know we have no heat again. It seems the main furnace is not working. Quality of unit is very poor, very hard to lock or unlock outside door or patio door, finall give up using sliding patio door. Numerous other deficiencies. We made a big mistake buying Jayco.
Bodeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:54 PM   #2

So what is the actual purpose of coming to a Jayco Owners forum and bashing Jayco? Did you not find any of these issues during your PDI? Did you even do a PDI? Not sure what you are are looking for except a place to complain. If you want help resolving any issues you may have this is the right place but beyond that well....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:07 PM   #3

Welcome to JOF, and yeah pick one any of the rv's will have problems just take it back to the dealer or ask someone here and maybe just maybe we can advise you on how to fix it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:41 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Personally, he should be able to say what he wants to. He just bought a new Jayco, and i am pretty sure he paid a lot for it, and it should be right. I would be pissed to. Welcome to the forum, maybe somebody at Jayco is smart enough to monitor this type of site. Companies spend huge dollars with surveys etc, when everything they need to know is free right here, from us, the customer. Hope everything gets fixed right, and you will see, they are a good company to deal with, not great, like they used to be!
Old 03-05-2023, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
So what is the actual purpose of coming to a Jayco Owners forum and bashing Jayco? Did you not find any of these issues during your PDI? Did you even do a PDI? Not sure what you are are looking for except a place to complain. If you want help resolving any issues you may have this is the right place but beyond that well....
X2
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Personally, he should be able to say what he wants to. He just bought a new Jayco, and i am pretty sure he paid a lot for it, and it should be right. I would be pissed to. Welcome to the forum, maybe somebody at Jayco is smart enough to monitor this type of site. Companies spend huge dollars with surveys etc, when everything they need to know is free right here, from us, the customer. Hope everything gets fixed right, and you will see, they are a good company to deal with, not great, like they used to be!
What was he expecting to gain from his very first post was my point. He came here with no introduction, very limited info as to what his actual problems were and did not ask for help resolving his issues or even ask a question.

He can be as pissed as he wants to be but the things he is complaining about should have been discovered prior to the purchase.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:57 AM   #7

Some folks might think this site is tied directly to the Jayco company itself, so perhaps this is why the new member posted as they did.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:40 AM   #8

Unfortunate you have several issues, there are times when what looks to be a big issue can be a repair that can be done very Easley, i bet with the help of the fine Members of the group, you will be able to knock out that list , I bet your a very handy person .
I do understand the frustration of buying new and wanting to go trouble free on your first camp out take a little time hook every thing up in your drive way and give it a good check out ! we have had several Jayco Campers and we have had to do a repair here and there.
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:34 AM   #9

Even though I've been very happy with my Jayco, now, after reading his post, I won't buy a Jayco and will tell all of my friends not to buy a Jayco*

*Hopefully this makes him feel better.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:45 AM   #10

If this was a legit first thread, I'm a bit confused with some of the responses. Yes, it is harsh, but so are some of the responses.

Being a long time forum member on several different sites, and an Admin on one, sites have to deal with members that are looking to vent, and offer them some "calm down" advice. It can go a long way for some, and simply have no help with others. To the later, well he will either work it out, or not return. I hope they work it out.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:07 AM   #11

I just picked up my 26m last week and I agree with the OP it is a joke how bad these things are built. Now with that said I knew this coming in and I know it's all brands not just Jayco. I find it funny that Jayco says that they PDI all units when clearly they do not and if they did they would be able to fix a large number of customer complaints.

I fully understand that driving down the road can be hard on these things but the problems from the factory are ridiculous. I am not a fan of our local dealers so I drove over 1K miles to get mine from NIRV because of the good things that I have heard about them and so far all of it was true. Your dealer will make or break your experience with these things as you will 100% need things fixed.
MEILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:53 AM   #12

Welcome Bodeen. Most of the users on JOF have stories to share about less than ideal things on their Jayco's that frustrate them. This community is built to help where we can.

I'd like to point out that many first-time RV buyers are not very well informed (we all know this...but I'd like to chat about it here a bit). This is not the fault of the individual, but a systemic issue in the industry.

The industry has ups and downs with quality as time rolls along...we just came out (hopefully came out) of a really bad period of low-quality build. I think that the very best thing we as a community can do is support and educate one another. PDI's are extremely important. A first-time buyer should probably NEVER do one on their own (take an experienced friend perhaps). There are professionals out there now that offer this as a service. Might be worth the $$ if you are inexperienced.

Another item is that as RV consumers, we have to understand that even with the best quality in place, there are still going to be issues with new RV's. That's the nature of the product and consumers should understand that. If you don't want to deal with issues...don't get into RVing. You should either be able to do a lot of the basic repairs yourself or be willing to pay someone to do them. Even under a warranty situation, it's often better to complete some repairs on your own. I hear stories of people giving up their RV for months in order to have warranty issues take care of...and some of these are simple things...like addressing cosmetic issues with interior trim, bad wiring, or loose/incorrectly assembled plumbing. Not that you're not justified when you take these items in for warranty repair, but it exacerbates the issue with service wait times at your dealership. Dealership warranty service margins are almost non-existent, so don't expect them to increase capacity unless the model changes.

And speaking of dealerships...RV dealers have almost ZERO ability to successfully manage their customers' expectations. This is either ignorant or malicious, but either way, it is all over the industry with VERY few exceptions. Most will tell the customer anything to get the sale. If we want to change the industry, we as consumers will need to force the dealerships to change first. They have to begin to educate the novice consumer as part of the value they sell. But...demand is so high...they can pretty much do whatever they want and get away with it.

Lastly, one item I'd like consumers to advocate for is the ability, as the owner with an RV under warranty, to get replacement parts covered. I'm fully capable of doing almost any repair (aside from structural components), but I'm forced to wait in a service line at the dealership for something as simple as damage plumbing components from over-torque. Something like that is literally a 15 min repair that I could accomplish in my driveway. But, if I want the parts covered (and not shell out the $100) I have to take it to an authorized service location. Give me the parts and I'll sign off on the repair and release the warranty liability of that component going forward. Ah...but I only wish...

Just some thoughts from my rambling mind.

JaycoLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:07 AM   #13

No worries it took us a couple years to get all the warrant finished. Once done really no serious problems on are 06 Fiver. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoLovers View Post
Welcome Bodeen. Most of the users on JOF have stories to share about less than ideal things on their Jayco's that frustrate them. This community is built to help where we can.

I'd like to point out that many first-time RV buyers are not very well informed (we all know this...but I'd like to chat about it here a bit). This is not the fault of the individual, but a systemic issue in the industry.

The industry has ups and downs with quality as time rolls along...we just came out (hopefully came out) of a really bad period of low-quality build. I think that the very best thing we as a community can do is support and educate one another. PDI's are extremely important. A first-time buyer should probably NEVER do one on their own (take an experienced friend perhaps). There are professionals out there now that offer this as a service. Might be worth the $$ if you are inexperienced.

Another item is that as RV consumers, we have to understand that even with the best quality in place, there are still going to be issues with new RV's. That's the nature of the product and consumers should understand that. If you don't want to deal with issues...don't get into RVing. You should either be able to do a lot of the basic repairs yourself or be willing to pay someone to do them. Even under a warranty situation, it's often better to complete some repairs on your own. I hear stories of people giving up their RV for months in order to have warranty issues take care of...and some of these are simple things...like addressing cosmetic issues with interior trim, bad wiring, or loose/incorrectly assembled plumbing. Not that you're not justified when you take these items in for warranty repair, but it exacerbates the issue with service wait times at your dealership. Dealership warranty service margins are almost non-existent, so don't expect them to increase capacity unless the model changes.

And speaking of dealerships...RV dealers have almost ZERO ability to successfully manage their customers' expectations. This is either ignorant or malicious, but either way, it is all over the industry with VERY few exceptions. Most will tell the customer anything to get the sale. If we want to change the industry, we as consumers will need to force the dealerships to change first. They have to begin to educate the novice consumer as part of the value they sell. But...demand is so high...they can pretty much do whatever they want and get away with it.

Lastly, one item I'd like consumers to advocate for is the ability, as the owner with an RV under warranty, to get replacement parts covered. I'm fully capable of doing almost any repair (aside from structural components), but I'm forced to wait in a service line at the dealership for something as simple as damage plumbing components from over-torque. Something like that is literally a 15 min repair that I could accomplish in my driveway. But, if I want the parts covered (and not shell out the $100) I have to take it to an authorized service location. Give me the parts and I'll sign off on the repair and release the warranty liability of that component going forward. Ah...but I only wish...

Just some thoughts from my rambling mind.
I agree with almost everything you said except this -

"This is not the fault of the individual, but a systemic issue in the industry"

It is the consumers responsibility to educate themselves before making a buying decision. We have become a society where people don't take responsibility for their own actions. If a new buyer doesn't prepare themselves for a proper PDI, either through a trusted friend or relative or if needed a professional they alone are responsible for the outcome. Should we as consumers be able to trust the dealers? Absolutely but there are snakes in every field.

There was an old clothing retailer that used to end each commercial with "An educated consumer is our best customer".

There is a lot of validity in that statement.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:03 PM   #15

OK, so we have established that many of those responding are experts and the OP is uninformed. He should have performed a detailed test plan to verify all systems function to specification.

Popycock!

I am old school and believe that the manufacturer of $100,000++ product are responsible for both quality control (testing & inspection) and quality assurance (design reviews, test plans, tolerance analysis, etc.).

For the OP:

I think Jayco products are fundamentally sound. However, they lack process control in the final assembly stage. This means the buyer will experience issues that may have big consequences (no heat, plumbing leaks, slides malfunction, etc., but the solution is often simple. All manufacturers have these issues, and it is not OK.

The other shoe is that service departments are stretched extremely thin. They are not fully trained on all designs and they are pressed to meet standard rate for any problem. They often fail to fix the issue and sometime cause damage to the unit.

A happy RV owner understands his RV and can fix most any problem. Use this problem to understand your heating system. Dig into the plumbing and electrical systems when time permits, at least know where the various components are.

Good luck and I hope your RV gives you years of happy travels.
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:31 PM   #16

The OP hasn't been back since his first and only post.
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDagny View Post
The OP hasn't been back since his first and only post.
Some of the replies weren't exactly welcoming. It's from the same folks that if I met in the camping environment, I probably wouldn't share a fire with. I guess it's what makes the world go round.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
Some of the replies weren't exactly welcoming. It's from the same folks that if I met in the camping environment, I probably wouldn't share a fire with. I guess it's what makes the world go round.
I guess that's where I am different. I welcome a difference of opinion and would welcome all those who had opposing ideas about this post to my fire...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 03-10-2023, 09:45 PM   #19

It's not the difference of opinion, it's the presentation.....
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
Agreed, it wasn't neighborly on either side. Although if before saying howdy you told me the fire I really liked actually was of poor construction and you wished you hadn't been around it, I wouldn't be disappointed you kept walking.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no heat in frt of trailer