Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2022, 06:31 AM   #1

New Pad, Outdoor Kitchen now too high to reach/use

We are haing to move to another RV pad in the park we stay in. I have a NP 382FLRB with the blackstone griddle/outdoor kitchen at the very back of the 5th wheel. The new pad is 60 feet deep, BUT, if I park the RV where I can still reach the griddle, that will not leave enough room to park a car in front of the RV (which we need to do as we are full timers with 2 vehicles).

If I back the RV as far back as I can, I will have room for a car, BUT my griddle is now to high to reach to use due to the drop off behind the pad.

Anyone else face this issue? What were your fixes?

I am thinking I might need a step stool - can not have anything permanent on the grass at the park so I would have to be able to pick it up.

Thanks.
pppbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #2

I’m not sure what your park classifies as permanent. This is what we use both in the backyard and camping. Blackstone makes it. The legs collapse and fold under the top and the side tray is removable. We also use a 5 lb. Propane bottle that is light and easy to move. That step stool idea with a drop off behind you kind of sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
3F7F6761-9D33-4FFE-816A-6FFED9CE3128.jpeg   33C20DE1-115B-4E41-9A19-838453DBB4C3.jpeg  
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:21 PM   #3

Thanks Happy

My NP has the Blackstone built in to the outdoor kitchen area...see image. That area will be over grass when i back up far enough to have a car park in front of my rig on the concrete pad. The grass area drops off about 20 inches which will likely put my blackstone at chest level which doesn't really make cooking on it fun.

I think I will just have to get a couple of those folding aluminum platforms from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and bolt them together to make something that I can put up, cook and then fold back up and store under the fifth wheel when I am done. Was just looking for ideas if anyone else had that issue with the back dropping off.
Attached Thumbnails
blackstone NP kitchen.jpg  
pppbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #4

I wouldn't overlook the idea of pulling the griddle out if it's home compartment and setting it on a stand or even a table using a small propane tank or even little green propane bottles (depending on how often you use it). You'll likely get a bigger flame out of your burners using a separate propane source. I've found at least on my travel trailer the griddle at the back of the trailer barely gets hot enough to fry bacon. If I use a separate propane source it's gets hotter.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote