Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #1

New problem - axel and spindle need advice

Hi,

My dealer just phoned. I had noticed the cover over one wheel bearing was off.

Long story short, they say I need a new axel, spindle and tire. 1500 bucks. I can pay that, but they say that it will be 6-8 weeks for delivery of the axel. That is the whole summer up in Canada.

Now, I have not spoken to the service manager, he had left for the day. I spoke with the counter person, who threw out the 6-8 weeks. I am assuming this is from Jayco. Are there other axel options? Do you think if I contact Jayco I can speed up the axel delivery. I am sure it will cost of course, but my summers are important to my family.

So, any thoughts on axels, deliveries, options, etc. I am pretty depressed right now.

Thanks.

Michael
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #2

I would crawl under the trailer and take a picture of the axle sticker, this will tell you what you need. Then call local repair shops, trailer builder/ repair shops, its probably just a Dexter axle that any shop can source and install much faster that 6-8 weeks
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Not being able to see the damage, or lack of it, that was done, it's hard to be exacting. I could believe the bearings may have been ruined, but they would to have been almost seized to do major damage to the spindle. I would want to see it apart to see if they are being completely honest about the repairs needed. And why a tire? Was it worn out from bearings being loose. Can you tell us more on how long it went like this?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #4

I drove it maybe 50 miles with the bearing cover off. Something was definitely loose under the cover. I have not had a chance to look at it, the dealer phoned at 5 and they are now closed. I will go tomorrow and take some pictures, although the service manager won't be in till Monday. I think it is a Dexter ez lube, but I will have to check my owners book. I will have more info tomorrow.

If I have to drive to the U.S. in my truck, pick up parts and come back I will, can't wait 6-8 weeks. Big trip planned in two weeks.

Damn.

Thanks for everyones help.

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Check out this Dexter parts supplier located in Calgary, looks like they carry a lot of stock.

https://parts.pjcanada.com/collections/axles
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote