Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #1

Question New RV Pickup Question

Hello,

We are picking up our new Jayco Eagle 357MDOK this friday and I will be doing my PDI, but have a question about the A/C's and the fridge. The unit has already been prepped by the dealer but I am planning on testing as many systems as I can before signing the papers. Since we're in the middle of winter here in Michigan, is it ok to run the A/C units and have the refrigerators on? We are set to pickup at 10am and the overnight temperature is supposed to be in the teens so I don't see it warming up too much by the time we arrive. I want to see that these items work, but I also don't want to damage them either. The unit has a residential fridge in the kitchen and a small fridge in the outside kitchen area. I know for house A/C units you are not supposed to run them below a certain temperature as it will damage them...not sure if the same would apply to an RV A/C unit.

What is everyone's thoughts on the matter? Ideally I'd love to have the unit inside their shop warmed up, but I know how busy dealers are trying to service units these days. And they are a smaller dealer and don't have that many service bays to work with.

Thanks for any input!
skidoomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #2

Running the fridge is OK, but I'm pretty sure running the A/C in those temps is a no-go.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #3

I would turn on the A/C blower fan only as a test, (have the thermostat set to blower instead of cool, or the similar setting depending on your thermostat). The problem is more than one, the main problem with turning it on when it is very cold is that there is lubricating oil in the compressor which will be too cold and thick to lubricate the compressor properly, so while it may turn on and work, doing so could negatively affect the compressor lifetime, the other issue is the condensing coils would be too cold and that can cause other issues. ~CA
Old 01-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #4

Many of the newer A/C units have a heat strip so you could test it in the Elec Heat mode. I wouldn't run the A/C for cooling in cold weather.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

I know someone that bought a new unit up my way last week. He drug it home on wet roads and somewhat crappy conditions. Come summer hes gonna wonder how the underside, etc, is all starting to rust. I also asked him how in the world he did a FULL PDI when the thing is still winterized. Response: it has a warranty. (He bought it from General Trailer. I guess he's a glutton for punishment because he didnt learn from the last trailer he bought from them.)
Like previously posted, I wouldnt run the A/C units. As far as the outdoor kitchen fridge is concerned, I doubt it will even come on with the outside temps being in the teens tonite. The residential fridge may not cycle on either.
I'd get it in writing come spring time and you summarize it, if you have any issues they can get you in on the spot instead of having to wait in line. Even the small mom and pop places are gonna fill up with service requests fast.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

skidoomatt: Looks like a nice floorplan on your new 5th wheel. Hmmm...good snowmobiling base camp?

As for the residential refrigerator, it should cycle if the inside of the 5th wheel is above about 45 degrees F or so.
Residential refrigerators don't like ambient air temps close to what their setpoints are. In those environmental conditions, the refrigerator has difficulty transferring the "heat" from inside the fridge/freezer to the exterior of the fridge. That's why refrigerators left in an unheated garage or deck/porch have problems maintaining temps during times when outside temps are in the 30s F or below.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoomatt View Post
snip..... Ideally I'd love to have the unit inside their shop warmed up, but I know how busy dealers are trying to service units these days.......snip
IMO preforming a PDI "outdoors" during Michigan's winter conditions is unacceptable...., especially if the dealer is expecting you to 'close-the-deal' after the PDI. Also, a PDI isn't complete without the plumbing system completely checked out w/water..., and in your case re-winterized after a successful PDI.

You may want to advise the dealer you prefer towing the FW off the lot on a day when the weather is conducive to do so (dry roads, no snow falling, etc.)....., in an attempt to minimize the Michigan salt effect on your new FW.

PDI for reference: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...d-36094-4.html

Remember, once you tow your new FW off the dealer's lot you become a 'service warranty customer'...., with associated service bay availability. A PDI isn't the place for short-cuts.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
IMO preforming a PDI "outdoors" during Michigan's winter conditions is unacceptable...., especially if the dealer is expecting you to 'close-the-deal' after the PDI. Also, a PDI isn't complete without the plumbing system completely checked out w/water..., and in your case re-winterized after a successful PDI.

You may want to advise the dealer you prefer towing the FW off the lot on a day when the weather is conducive to do so (dry roads, no snow falling, etc.)....., in an attempt to minimize the Michigan salt effect on your new FW.

PDI for reference: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...d-36094-4.html

Remember, once you tow your new FW off the dealer's lot you become a 'service warranty customer'...., with associated service bay availability. A PDI isn't the place for short-cuts.

Bob
X2, I know our dealer has a big PDI bay, glass walled to the main showroom. Fully heated, power, water, everything you need.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #9

Thanks for all the insight. You all have confirmed my assumptions for not running the A/C's or the fridge's in the cold weather. I have the PDI list listed on this site and plan on checking as much as I can. I understand it's not a FULL PDI, but I don't know what else to do. I don't think the dealer is gonna budge on de-winterizing the unit and then re-winterizing to let me test it all as they assure me that they are testing all the systems prior to picking the unit up. Honestly, I would be slightly worried that they would hurry to re-winterize and not do a good job which would only hurt me in the end by possibly having lines freeze after I bring it home. I know how all this sounds....and it is really frustrating for me. As for towing the unit home, I already told them if the roads are nasty from snow and salt, I will not be picking it up until the roads are clean.
skidoomatt is offline   Reply With Quote