Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTerry View Post
Well, this is my update for today. I contacted Jayco directly, and talked to one of their technicians. He said they usually don't get involved with weight distribution issues, however told me that based on my description of what happened on the road, we definitely needed the WDH. He gave me the Reese part number, #66151, that specifically fits the Skylark, for anyone else that may need this info.This is the description of it on the Reese website:

Reese SC 600 lbs. Trunnion Bar Wt. Dist. Kit & Built In Friction Sway Control w/#54970 Shank

I called the dealership several times today, left messages with 3 different people on their voicemails.(service manager, finance officer, general manager). Finally after not getting my calls returned 5 hours later, I called and asked the receptionists if anyone was working there today, as I had been leaving messages all day. She put me on hold and said she would personally go and get the general manager to take my call.

I finally got him on the phone, explained to him our situation, and said that I had talked to Jayco that morning. By the end of the conversation, he was assuring me that the WDH would be ordered and installed this week, and the service manager would personally accompany us on a drive to make sure it was towing safely. We were also assured that they would do another orientation with us to make sure we were comfortable with all the workings in the RV and brake system.

Anyway, will post updates on everything this week. Sorry this has turned into such a long thread, but I wanted to have all this documented in case any other Skylark owners in the future run into similar problems, got the same run-around about the WDH, etc.

TejasTerry

It sounds like you got a hold of the right person and resolution may be imminent. Just like at a car dealer, two peoples buying experience may be totally different depending on which salesman you get. One may say they had a great one and another a lousy one. In this instance it took the general manager to save the day! Good luck and and happy camping!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTerry View Post
This is a reputable RV center in Buda, TX (near Austin), the huge Crestview RV center, not some fly by night mom and pop shop.
Sorry Tejas Terry that you had this experience. I would say that from our experiences the mom and pop places take better care of you, repeat customers are the core of their business as is referral business. If they can gain you for both it ensures there future, whereas the larger businesses have greater volume because everything is "shiny" so they aren't as committed to helping customers on a personal level.

2008 (40th Anniversary) Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 F250 XLT Extended Cab 6.2L

Doreen and Rocky
3 kidlets
1 princess puppy
1 feral kitty
1 boar guinea pig
dorayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #23

It's a shame that you have to go through all of this, but sometimes you just have to push more buttons or keep climbing that "hierarchy" till you find the right person to help you. The customer is always right (even when he's wrong). Or at least he's right if a business wants his return business. Glad you got your situation close to being resolved. I'm sure this business is more reputable than the one employee represented it to be.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #24

Glad things are looking up!
2012 Skylark KFV - Gone
2010 Jayco 806 - Gone
Zombied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #25

wd hitch and sway control

Just wanted to let you know that I just got back from a 2500 mile trip up the coast of Maine, through New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Cape Breton pulling the Skylark.
I have a Reese weight distribution hitch with dual cam sway control. I have no ties to Reese, nor am I usually endorsing products that I do not like.
Now for the truth as to my experience pulling the Skylark on this voyage. It was a total pleasure. Even on days with the wind blowing at a fairly good clip it handled extremely well. Seriously, NO WHITE KNUCKLES.
Many dealers feel that because of the weight of this trailer it does not need weight distribution, nor anti sway. With the vehicle I have (2010 toyota 4 runner) I felt I did. Had to do the research, but my dealer did a great job with installation.
Couple of other modifications I have done was to put on a power jack, an off on swich on the negative side of the battery, shore power cord for electricity vs the pull out type, a sewer hose holder attached to rear bumper. Reasons are because in order to put the wd bars on you need to attach the trailer to vehicle and jack it up as to be able to attach the bars. Felt it would be easier with power jack. The negative side switch allows me to kill all power to trailer when stored. Does not kill my battery since the converter is off. Bought a Rhino hose and it did not fit in compartment provided by Jayco, so used a hollow vinyl post with gutter inside for easy removal and attached it to rear bumper. The shore power provided me with the ability of connecting electrical without pulling out the cord and getting it tangled in items under the sofa.
I think a 2500 mile trip was a pretty good test and have no regrets about my decision to buy the Skylark. We are getting ready to do another similar trip down the east coast of the US to North Carolina.
Hope this has been helpful, enjoy your trailer, any further questions I would be most happy to help you if I can. Many great people in this forum. You will find their expertise, experience and willingness to share a very valuable resource. Once again Best Wishes, Good Luck, and don't get discouraged most of us have had similar experiences.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #26

Thank you so much for your post.

After having the issue last week without the WDH, I talked to Jayco, and they gave me the Reese part number, etc., which is the WDH you describe in your post.

Last weekend we picked up the Skylark, and it was like night and day. No sway...plus we were pulling it home in high winds, and did very well with the Jeep Liberty.

I think we will do fine now, and are planning on a trip to Maine in October. We are going to look at some of the mods you mentioned, and prolly do those too.

We also pack very light... so I don't think weight will be an issue for us. I'm a "minimalist"...so am not so concerned about that issue.

Have a great trip on your next venture ! I will post on here and let you know how our trip in October goes.

TejasTerry

Tejas "Terry" & Hubster "Jack"
"Pogo" the 3 legged, Harley riding dog
"Trip" the 3 legged cat:hihi:
2011 Jeep Liberty/2011 Jayco Skylark
TejasTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #27

Great! Glad to hear things are much better. Sure feels better when that thing is pulling nice and smooth back there.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #28

We also have a Liberty a 2005 asnd we have a 19H we were told to get the WD hitch and did we have gone a a few trips not as many as we want but we have had zero problems,and even puled it it a strong side breeze(wind) nor breeze at all gust of about 30-35 mph puled it about 50 miles then it became a head wind til we reached home again no trouble just a slow drive stayed at about 50mph
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #29

The Jeep is doing fine. We just feel that we would like a larger vehicle to tow it. It is a strain on the transmission when going up hills. So are in the market for a nice used F 150 or something similar.

Tejas

Tejas "Terry" & Hubster "Jack"
"Pogo" the 3 legged, Harley riding dog
"Trip" the 3 legged cat:hihi:
2011 Jeep Liberty/2011 Jayco Skylark
TejasTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #30

I bought a Slylark in May and pulled it all summer with a Ford Flex (hybrid).

I DON'T have a WD hitch or sway bars and don't have any problems. I do wish I had more power goiing up hiills but that is to be expected.

I drive between 55-60 and I think that contributes to the trailer being stable. I think for a trailer this size it pulls very well.
DustyMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #31

I pulled a Trailmanor 23720SD from Maryland to San Francisco and back without a WDH or sway control. The key here is, of course weight, but more important the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. I tow with a 4 Runner but I believe the Jeep Liberty has a smaller wheelbase thus the sway. Tail wagging the dog.
gerry1950 is offline   Reply With Quote