Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

New Skylark and Jeep Liberty...

Hi everyone:

Well we stayed the weekend with our new Skylark...Stayed at the dealer's adjacent RV park last night. They were supposed to install a WDH with Sway bar. When we got there, the guy who was in charge of hooking everything up, said our Skylark was so light that we did not need a WDH, only a sway bar. He said that the TT was so light he could lift it himself..

Anyway, we believed him as we figured he knew what he was talking about.
This morning we pulled out and headed out down the highway (on the access road at first to get a feel for it.) When we got just over 40 mph, the trailer was all over the place, and the hubster said like it felt as if he had no control over steering the Jeep Liberty.. We immediately went back to the stealership, and I noticed when I got out that the trailer was sitting pretty low on the hitch, as if it were pushing down too hard on it.

Ok I was pretty upset, because the guy who worked on it was also the guy who took us thru the orientation of the TT. He spent about 30 minutes with us...was in a hurry and said he actually should have been off work that day but was called in to work on our TT. Because of the odd shape of the Skylark, I'm wondering if he couldn't get the Reese to fit, and just didn't want to mess with finding another one.

The funny thing is, when we talked to our original salesman again, he gave us a business card of another place, and whispered to us to take it there, as the guy there really knew his stuff and would do it for about half the price.

This was a terrible experience. Because we are new to camping and know absolutely nothing about all the stuff in a TT and how everything is done, we don't feel good about the situation at all. This is a reputable RV center in Buda, TX (near Austin), the huge Crestview RV center, not some fly by night mom and pop shop.

Any thoughts on all of this, and if anyone has a certain WDH they have found to work with the Skylark...thanks,

TejasTerry

Tejas "Terry" & Hubster "Jack"
"Pogo" the 3 legged, Harley riding dog
"Trip" the 3 legged cat:hihi:
2011 Jeep Liberty/2011 Jayco Skylark
TejasTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

I`m sorry to hear you had such a negative first experience. I will make a few observations.

1. You do need WD on your vehicle. If you were pulling it with an F350 I would say no, but you are not, a Jeep Liberty instead. The hitch weight was making your front end light combined with the effects of towing the trailer. IMO that is why you had a bad towing experience. If they "were supposed to" install one, was it in the contract? If so they should have.

2. 30 minutes is no wheres near enough time to get acquainted with a new RV and its various systems, especially for someone who has not previously owned one. The fact that it was his day off was his and the dealerships problem, not yours. Noone wants to hear that after spending all that money. This is nothing to rush through.

3. If they have so little faith in their own people as to recommend someone else to install the hitch, perhaps you should go elsewhere provided you did not pay for the system.

4. Here is a thread from a fellow member with a Skylark that addresses the Reese hitch question. You may try sending him a PM fo more info. I hope some of this helps.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...hlight=skylark

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

Thanks Crabman for your reply. I know you have enough on your plate right now to worry about, and appreciate your lengthy reply.

Yes, it was in the contract to install the WDH, and we paid for it with the financing package. They told us they would reimburse us with a check for the amount (around $500), and we would get that check this week.

After the towing issue today and telling our salesman about it, this is when he handed my husband a business card of the guy he said is an expert with WDH's, and would cost less. This was said on the side where no one else from the dealership could hear.

I am pretty sure we are going somewhere else. I have no faith in these people. The problem is, my husband has to tow it in this condition to downtown Austin, to the other guy. He said he will just do it, even if he has to go 35 mpg...

Thanks for the link to the post of the other member with the Skylark. I have DM'd him and hopefully he can shed some more light for us.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

Oh man! I am sorry you had a bad experience. I did look at WD hitches, but like you said, the nose makes it a bit hard to get one that would fit.

What do you mean low on the hitch? I have a 3 1/4 drop ball mount and could probably drop another inch. I have a friction style device that cost about $55 shipped. After seeing how that worked this season, I will probably skip the WD hitch for a while. Trailer tows well, just wish I had more power.

A couple things to check that many people skip. Make sure your tire pressures are good. Also make sure you have enough tongue weight. You don't want all he weight behind the skylarks axle.

Feel free tp pm me if you need help!
2012 Skylark KFV - Gone
2010 Jayco 806 - Gone
Zombied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

TejasTerry,

Wow, not a good way to start your TT experience. We have a new Skylark and Liberty (about 1.5 months) and we had the Reese Sway Control, Weight Distribution hitch installed (Reese part number 66153) and are pleased with the combination. With regards to our TT demonstration, ours took every bit of 2.5 hours.

I know you indicated you spoke to your salesman but have you escalated this to the owner of the dealership? This is unacceptable at all levels and some level of compensation should occur, IMO.

If still unsatisfied a call to Jayco might be warranted. If this is one of their larger dealerships they might feel compelled to get involved on your behalf.

Best of luck and feel free to contact me.

- Kathleen, Roger & Gracie the wonder dog!
- 2018 Jay Flight 33RBTS
- North Carolina
KRV1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #6

When I say low on the hitch, I mean as if the trailer weight was putting a lot of pressure on the hitch and making the Liberty kinda low to the ground in the back. Not terribly so, but I noticed it, and I'm a dumb ole girl !

As I said in my earlier post, when my hubby was driving, we were on the access road, got up to about 40, and he said he felt like he didn't have control of the steering wheel..

My husband is 69 years old now, however worked for years with the Texas HIghway Department and has towed huge trailers, ran heavy equipment...etc., and he said this actually scared him a little. He felt like he had no control.

Anyway, we are going to call another dealership tomorrow, and see what they recommend.

I will DM you Z if I have any other questions.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Site Team

The dry hitch weights on the two Skylark models are 285 and 320lbs. The loaded weight will be somewhat more. Does the Liberty squat much with that much weight on the receiver and no WD hitch?.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTerry View Post
When I say low on the hitch, I mean as if the trailer weight was putting a lot of pressure on the hitch and making the Liberty kinda low to the ground in the back. Not terribly so, but I noticed it, and I'm a dumb ole girl !

As I said in my earlier post, when my hubby was driving, we were on the access road, got up to about 40, and he said he felt like he didn't have control of the steering wheel..

My husband is 69 years old now, however worked for years with the Texas HIghway Department and has towed huge trailers, ran heavy equipment...etc., and he said this actually scared him a little. He felt like he had no control.

Anyway, we are going to call another dealership tomorrow, and see what they recommend.

I will DM you Z if I have any other questions.
OK you just answered my question, it is squatting too much suggesting a WD system is in order. Also good to hear some Skylark owners chiming in. Nothing like hearing from someone who actually owns and tows one.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRV1115 View Post
TejasTerry,

Wow, not a good way to start your TT experience. We have a new Skylark and Liberty (about 1.5 months) and we had the Reese Sway Control, Weight Distribution hitch installed (Reese part number 66153) and are pleased with the combination. With regards to our TT demonstration, ours took every bit of 2.5 hours.

I know you indicated you spoke to your salesman but have you escalated this to the owner of the dealership? This is unacceptable at all levels and some level of compensation should occur, IMO.

If still unsatisfied a call to Jayco might be warranted. If this is one of their larger dealerships they might feel compelled to get involved on your behalf.

Best of luck and feel free to contact me.
Thanks for your quick reply. I am writing down the info you gave me on the Reese part number, etc., and will call them tomorrow. Hoping we can get this resolved. Urrrrgggg....I just don't have a lot of faith now in this dealership. I will see about talking to the owner, or someone else in management. I really wanted to have a good working relationship with this place, as before all this happened, they really seemed "on the ball".

Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
Site Team

On a lighter note, is that a toy poodle in your signature? We have one that looks similar, of course hard to tell with those cute sunglasses on!