Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

New Solar Panel Works Great, but...

As I said, the solar panel worked great. It kept my battery well charged all weekend. I felt like I should be able to use the outlets to charge up some of my electronics; however, it appears that the power outlets in the camper currently require shore power to work. I'm guessing that I can add an inverter and wire that up to the panel or something, but I'm not sure. Anyone have solutions to this? Should I even attempt it?
scarr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

I would not attempt it until you do some studying and reading on the subject.

This forum is loaded with info on this subject and many will be glad to share their knowledge.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr44 View Post
As I said, the solar panel worked great. It kept my battery well charged all weekend. I felt like I should be able to use the outlets to charge up some of my electronics; however, it appears that the power outlets in the camper currently require shore power to work. I'm guessing that I can add an inverter and wire that up to the panel or something, but I'm not sure. Anyone have solutions to this? Should I even attempt it?
Yes you will need an inverter to run devices unless on shore power.
Maybe your camper has a USB slots?....charge compatible devices off of that without needing a inverter.

For reference purposes, I had installed a 600W inverter that runs to a dedicated household type outlet.
With the inverter on, I can run a power strip (multiple outlet type) and plug in devices there.

It will run a laptop, Sirius boombox radio, the TV and a portable style fan.
Not all at once of course.

This inverter is powered up with 2, 6 volt golf cart style batts.
Works wonderful and no issues whatsoever.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

For a TEMPORARY solution until I can do the work necessary, I simply attached an inverter directly to the batteries with alligator clips and then plugged the TT into the inverter with an adapter.

HOWEVER, be aware you will have to turn off your converter at the breaker box otherwise you will be trying to charge your batteries while using your batteries, a very quick way to drain your batteries.

Additionally I found out the breaker that powers my converter also powered all of my non-GFCI outlets which meant no power to the TV locations, dinette plug, bedside outlets, or bunkhouse. I had to move my converter to an additional breaker I added. Also, I'm always sure to turn off the breakers to the A/C, microwave, and water heater to avoid overloading the inverter on accident.

It's messy, but it worked.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

If all you need is USB charging for your gadgets than you can get something like this for 8$ or so.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also gives you the voltage of your battery at the 12 volt outlet in your RV.
Which is great to avoid over draining and damaging your battery.

As they are very cheap I checked mine against a multi meter to make sure it was accurate. It is off about 1/10 volt but that is close enough for my needs.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindone View Post
For a TEMPORARY solution until I can do the work necessary, I simply attached an inverter directly to the batteries with alligator clips and then plugged the TT into the inverter with an adapter.

HOWEVER, be aware you will have to turn off your converter at the breaker box otherwise you will be trying to charge your batteries while using your batteries, a very quick way to drain your batteries.
If you decide to go with a small inverter, as northwindone mentioned and you want your TT outlets to have 120VAC power, you need to turn off the TT's battery charge controller.

If you are comfortable working with 120VAC (if not hire an electrician, will take him/her 10 minutes) and can do a simple rewire, you (unplug from Shore-Power and or any inverter) pull the cover off the battery charge controller, locate the 120VAC power source for the battery charge controller and wire it into its own 120VAC breaker in the 120VAC panel. My panel had a spare breaker position so I used one. I got the breaker from Lowes and opted for the double 15Amp breaker, which I ran another outlet to.

Just remember not to buy an inverter that is too much for your batteries
Ah rating. You can purchase on Amazon 12Volt plugs for USB charging. Charge the toys when the SOLAR panel is supplying power to the batteries.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #7

A little research is required. As you found out the solar provides 12v dc power to the battery bank.

Inverters will remedy your 120V AC power needs.

Before buying an inverter figure out what loads you will require. You will want to size the inverter appropriately as the waste alot of power, and one to big will drain your battery bank.

If you can use 12V DC foe as much as you can, so you do not loose power through the conversation process.

I added a 12v DC circuit around my htt just for aux power outlets. I have added 7 of them so far.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #8

Thanks all for the info! My 2016 16XRB doesn't appear to have a 12v outlet, so just getting that little gadget won't work for me. I have a good friend who is an electrical engineer. His family and ours camped together this past weekend and for what it's worth, he was impressed with my 100w Renogy solar suitcase. I'm going to work with him to install an inverter and get at least one outlet upgraded. He's working a job out of state for a while, so It'll be a bit until we get the job done.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #9

I would just look to get a 12V "lighter socket" installed. It makes no sense inverting DC to 120AC so that you can plug in a transformer to convert it back to DC. Pretty much all small electronics run off of DC <12V (USB). My X19H has a DC socket near the TV that I use to charge my small electronics with a plug in USB tap (top left outlet). You can see that I have 3 additional USB taps to the right for when I am plugged into shore.

This works for everything except my laptop, but my car has a 110V outlet so I charge that up while driving around sightseeing.

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

Thanks, bankr63. This solution is probably the way to go for my minimal needs.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #11

The 16XRB has a 12v "lighter" style plug on the ceiling above the fridge next to the TV hookups.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBUGMAN View Post
The 16XRB has a 12v "lighter" style plug on the ceiling above the fridge next to the TV hookups.
I forgot to come back and update this after I found it. I laughed pretty hard at myself at the time. ...rookie.

Tags
16xrb, solar