Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

New to a Travel Trailer....help!!

Put a deposit on a 2010 Jay Feather 22Y. Moving up from a pop up. I have no idea what to expect with towing, owning and setting up a travel trailer. Any advice? Can I use my BAL leveler for this trailer? I need all the help I can get. Thanks!!!
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #2

You will find all the information you need on this forum -- check out the towing section and there are a couple of "stickys" in this general section that will help you with setting up and such. I am answering your post for one reason --- we moved up from a pop-up also and you CANNOT use your BAL leveler. The BAL leveler is made for a lighter trailer with only one set of wheels.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
You will find all the information you need on this forum -- check out the towing section and there are a couple of "stickys" in this general section that will help you with setting up and such. I am answering your post for one reason --- we moved up from a pop-up also and you CANNOT use your BAL leveler. The BAL leveler is made for a lighter trailer with only one set of wheels.
Ok good to know.....what do I use instead?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:13 AM   #4

Lynx leveliing blocks, level from side to side first then front to back. You will need a brake controller installed on your tow vehicle and weight distribution bars. If you have dual axles, a good set of Xchocks. You may need tow mirrors too.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:44 AM   #5

Congrats!

When you go to pick it up, ask as many questions as you feel are needed. It's a sizable investment and you deserve to know every little thing. Use the video on your phone to record things you're not sure on. That way you can refer back to the video if you have a question. Make sure the owner/dealer shows you how the water heater works, where the by-pass valves are, how to hook up any hoses and to explain the electrical panel. Invest in a weight distribution hitch and have the owner/dealer explain it and show you how to hook up. TURN ON EVERYTHING!. Not neccessarily all at one time but, turn everything on. If they don't have it hooked up to a water source, have them do it. Run all the faucets and get familiar with the sewer system. Look underneath the trailer as the faucets are running to insure no leaks. Invest in a electrical management system if you don't already have one.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
Lynx leveliing blocks, level from side to side first then front to back. You will need a brake controller installed on your tow vehicle and weight distribution bars. If you have dual axles, a good set of Xchocks. You may need tow mirrors too.
Do I need sway control too?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Congrats!

When you go to pick it up, ask as many questions as you feel are needed. It's a sizable investment and you deserve to know every little thing. Use the video on your phone to record things you're not sure on. That way you can refer back to the video if you have a question. Make sure the owner/dealer shows you how the water heater works, where the by-pass valves are, how to hook up any hoses and to explain the electrical panel. Invest in a weight distribution hitch and have the owner/dealer explain it and show you how to hook up. TURN ON EVERYTHING!. Not neccessarily all at one time but, turn everything on. If they don't have it hooked up to a water source, have them do it. Run all the faucets and get familiar with the sewer system. Look underneath the trailer as the faucets are running to insure no leaks. Invest in a electrical management system if you don't already have one.
What is an electrical management system? I am very new to this I have only owned a small pop up that I towed with my mini van. My husband got a 2001 Tundra V8 at an auction this past winter so now I am able to get a trailer. I have a brake controller being installed next week already.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #8

As mentioned above on the water system also ask for the location of all the low point drains and how to winterize. Also check the propane system if it has a auto change over regulator, learn how to use it. Check the battery and the wiring, also see if it has the 30 Amp fuse at the battery. Ask how the brake away switch operates and ask where the best place to hook up the lanyard for the switch.
If it has a monitor panel ask to see how it operates and also where the switch is for the water pump. Go over the city and gravity water fill points. and also where the drain is for the fresh water tank.
Sway control is always nice to have and learn how to set it up. Remember to remove it before backing up into a camp site so to avoid any damage when making tight turns, best time to remove it is when checking in No worries about sway when in the campground.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #9

Ask if any manuals are still in the camper If not take the time to get the make, model and serial numbers for any equipment you need information on. You can always look up information on line and get manuals and parts lists. I have done that on my RV and I keep the information in a separate file/folder on my hard drive.
Go onto Jayco's web site and download the brochure, owners manual for your year and model. The brochure will give you the specs.

Being you had a pop up some of this you may already familiar with.

Check to see if your water heater is DSI and ask how to light it.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

For towing we recommend the brake controller, weight distribution hitch, sway control, and if needed, air shocks. For leveling, use the Lynx leveling blocks or any other brand name (they are like flat legos that you can stack). You can use flat boards too, but the Lynx levelers are easier to stack and they stay together better. You will also want an extra set or some board to put under the stabilizers and the tongue jack. Some people use levelers that you stick on the sides of the camper, we just use a level that we keep on the inside. You will need to stay hitched up until you have leveled from side to side as you may need to put some levelers down and drive up onto them (either frontwards or backwards). After you have leveled from side to side you can unhitch and then level from front to back using the tongue jack. Like everyone else said, have the dealer show you how to work all the electrical and plumbing systems. If there is not a manual that comes with the trailer you can download a copy from the manufacturer's website. You can also download the manuals for all the things inside the trailer on their respective websites. For example, you can see what kind of stove you have and go to their website for a manual. We made ourselves a checklist on the computer and printed it out so that we can follow the steps and not forget anything. We have only had our trailer for this season and have gone out around 5 times and we already have not really needed the checklist anymore. And as I said before, there is so much information on this forum and everyone is so friendly and helpful that you will be a pro in no time!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
What is an electrical management system? I am very new to this I have only owned a small pop up that I towed with my mini van. My husband got a 2001 Tundra V8 at an auction this past winter so now I am able to get a trailer. I have a brake controller being installed next week already.

You can get two versions. A hard-wired unit that installs in the trailer or a portable that plugs directly into the CG post. It's a device that manages the electric coming into the trailer. Protects against, surges, low voltage, high voltage, open grounds, etc. A little pricey but sooooooo worth it. Here's a link. Take a look.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Old 07-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #12

Thanks everyone.....so much great advice so far. I am a little worried as this is my first time and I am a petite female that camps solo with my kids. Hope I can handle this thing....LOL
Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #13

You'll be fine. Just take your time and relax. Think it all through. And just remember, we're all here to help..so ask!

Be careful and enjoy!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #14

Getting discouraged........have my pop up for sale but it's not selling. Can't go forward with the TT without selling the Pop up
Old 07-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #15

Trade maybe???
Old 07-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Trade maybe???
They only want to give me $2,500
NADA is $4,100
Old 07-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #17

Yea I feel your pain. But you may have to take a little hit to get into what you really want. When I traded my truck in for this F250, they only gave me $5000. It booked at $7400. But it is what it is and I took it. NADA is just a "guideline" and not a bible on exact value. Could I have held off a while and sold it on my own? Sure. But it may have taken me forever to sell it my way. Sometimes, we have to give a little to get alot!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #18

is the NADA price retail or what?

And you say you have it for sale. What are you asking and what is the year make and model?

Maybe you could look at a short term loan until the pop up sells
Old 07-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #19

Good news! Accepted an offer on my pop up today! Yay! Still have a deposit on the Jay Feather 22Y but wondering if I am making a mistake not getting bunks. How much if a pain is it going to be to keep making the couch and dinette into a bed for my boys?
Old 07-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #20

They did not have bunks when our were little, had they, we would have been all over it. Would have been so nice to be able to get a cup coffee and move around not worrying about waking them up. I think it would feel less cluttered as well.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote