Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 PM   #1

New to this looking for guidance

Hello I am retiring at age 55 and have decided to try the full time RV lifestyle for a couple years and possibly longer. I've been looking for a little over a year and my head is a spinning a bit from all the choices and I just don't know anyone that does this full time so all my advice is from salesmen which probably isn't a great place to get advice. I will mostly be alone with 2 large dogs and would like to tow a small 4wd such as a Wrangler.

I started out looking at Class C's like Redhawk and Greyhawk but I am worried about the drive comfort and the fact that the front seats are unusable unless driving. The length and amenities felt about right to me. Now I'm seeing brand new 2017 Alante for about the price of the Greyhawk and am thinking maybe I should go to Class A so i can turn and use front seats. I also spent a lot of time walking around Camping World and I started looking at pull trailers like the Mallard, and that really got me confused because they seem just a tad more luxurious inside and it makes me think I should be looking at trailers and buying a nice tow pickup.

I was hoping I could get a little advice from others in the lifestyle that maybe see me about to make a mistake that you have experience with. I am going to be all over the country and possibly into Canada so power in mountains is important to me especially since I will tow a vehicle in an RV. I will also probably take advantage of RV parks whenever possible so I am hoping to pick the "ideal size" and type to guarantee plenty of openings in rv parks, I have been told it's hard to find a spot for some of the big ones like 38ft and up (which sadly aces out the toy hauler I wanted). I have also been told that anything less than 40ft I will feel the walls closing in on me after a bit (but I suspect he just wanted to sell a large class A). I like the general idea of a driving RV so my dogs will be comfy rather than riding in a pickup when I travel but if pulling a trailer in a nice pickup is a better choice I have no problem going that way.

I'm trying to make the best choice the first time because I've learned about how fast these depreciate once you buy it and I don't want to be rethinking and upgrading in a year or 2. The salesperson I last worked with owned a Greyhawk and didn't like driving it and also mentioned that front seats were wasted when not driving it. I really like the quality i see in the Jaycos but I'm also considering a Thor ACE.

So if you don't mind giving advice to a brand new entrant, what guidance would you give? Cost is a big consideration for me, I'd like to stay under 90K new and if I can buy good used, even better, for instance I've looked at a 2013 Coachmen Mirada 32 ft class A that I really liked and the price is right at around 60K. All those factors in mind where would you direct me if you were advising? I know I threw a lot out there, any help would be appreciated.
Daveand2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

I have never full-timed, unless you count living in our TT for a few months last summer, but I do have an opinion (go figure, lol). I can tell you that if you have 2 or 3 slides you shouldn't feel closed in if you buy a shorter unit. Plenty of storage should be on your wish list. Big closets, a pantry, residential refrigerator and outside storage should all be high on your list.

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice from the other members.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on retiring! There is a lot of great info here on the forum. If you would like you can do a search to find threads on the topic you are seeking. We don't full time but there are a lot of folks on here that do and I'm sure they'll be giving you some great tips. Have fun shopping and keep us posted.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #4

I too have not full timed. Slideouts will make the space feel a whole lot bigger. As bwalton stated, I would be looking at ensure enough storage space.

I would recommend renting a Class C MH for a week, before purchasing. I have never seen any Class A units for rent. We rented a few Class C MH for vacations before we had our TT. Looks like I will be renting another when I go to Alaska next year. One thing about them in my opinion they are noisy. You hear a lot of road noise and pots and pans bouncing around. We put towels between the pots and such to quiet things down. Engine maintenance is also something you need to consider, typically you cannot stop into any old shop for an oil change, you need a truck stop. Also with a MH, if you have a serious maintenance issue, where the unit needs to be in the shop for a few days, you loose your home.

If I was strongly considering full timing I would look at a 5th wheel. They tow nicely, most have lots of storage in the basement.

Good Luck,

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #5

I second the comment on renting different rigs first before you buy. I've had travel trailers, fifth wheels, class A and now class C. Each has it's own benefits and pitfalls. I'm 55 too (not retired yet though!), and I like the simplicity of a Class C. I tow a car or an enclosed trailer sometimes, but much easier than a towing a large fifth wheel in my opinion at this point in my life. Congrats and good luck!
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

Congratulations on the retirement and welcome to the forum.

Because you are "... try(ing) the full time RV lifestyle ..." I suggest what Jagiven said and RENT first. Probably a class C motorhome would be the easiest to try first. See how it drives, see if the walls close in on you, and see if your dogs like sleeping in the front seats (our German Shepard mix and our Standard Poodles liked ours in our class B ).

Also be cautious of RV salesmen. Most of us believe they are more concerned with making a sale (the more expensive, the better for them) and (regardless of what they say) not really worried about how happy you are with the unit.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
Site Team

When you are figuring, don't forget that the majority of MH owners are pulling a TOAD.

That has to be a necessity of mh ownership and all the mechanical and monetary things that go with towing a TOAD.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

We don't full-time, but based on what I've seen and read, I would suggest either a Class A or a 5th wheel. These are definitely the two top choices for full-timers.

Generally, a 5th wheel will give you more liveable space. They are (generally) thought of as a better option for those who plan to travel and stay in one place for longer periods of time.

People who move around a lot swear by the Class A. Below is a link to an article about the pros/cons of both.
Motorhome or Fifth Wheel Trailer?

Again, while we don't full-time RV, we have now spent 6 weeks in a 27 foot travel trailer with a large dog and a cat. And trust me, it's challenging. This is what we've learned:

1. Storage/storage/storage! We simply do not have enough for this length of time in the unit. In particular, in the bedroom. Be sure to buy something with a decent closet and some drawers in the bedroom. All of our clothes are in bins and a half of them are stored in the bathroom. It is a pain in the *ass. We find that we are constantly picking up and moving one thing to get to another!

2. Larger Fridge. We have an 8 cubic foot fridge. It's not big enough -- especially the freezer. One doesn't realize how much stuff we put in freezers until we have no space to do same! It means constant runs to grocery store to buy meat and while fresh food is all well and good, it means you don't get to take advantage of sales to stock up.

3. Bathroom Size. The size of the shower and the sink area are important. Our sink area has virtually no counter space and I find this very frustrating. And the shower is a bit small. Get one with a little bench inside. Not to sit on per say, but to store stuff on and also to help the wife with her leg shaving! LOL

4. If you are traveling with a larger dog, do not underestimate how much space they take up. Our poor Golden Retriever spends all his time being asked to move from one spot to another as we try to maneuver around him in the trailer. If you dog can handle being outside without you, that helps in good weather, but if he's likes ours, he MUST be wherever we are. There is one foot of space between the end of our bed and the wall and yep, he sleeps there every night. I have become an expert and climbing over him in the dark for nighttime potty needs!

5. Outside Storage -- Generally travel trailers have the least amount of outside storage. I wouldn't recommend one for full-time or long stay living.

Good luck with your choice. Also if you are a Facebook User, there are a couple of pages you might want to look at joining. One is "50 and Over Rv'ers" and the other is "Full Time Rving". Lots of great information and insights there as well. Good luck with your choice
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #9

Thanks I've read all these thoroughly!

All good suggestions that I'm taking to heart. For those of you in Motorhomes would you spend more for a Diesel or is the Ford V10 fine? I know the V10 is supposed to get really bad mileage like in the 6mpg range, but I'm not sure how much better the diesels are at over 28 feet especially towing a vehicle.
Daveand2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #10

As we creep towards retirement my DW and I have decided to full time in a diesel pusher. We have looked at and rented various motor homes and came to the conclusion that there were only three good options. Keep the fifth wheel (or upgrade it), a super C like the Seneca, or a diesel pusher. Full time living requires space, space, and more space.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

Although I've not done either a lot, I have both towed a trailer (a couple of different ones) and driven a 32 foot class C, and of the 2, I'd take the trailer any day. I didn't even tow a Toad with the MH and I still didn't care for it much. I didn't like driving it, or camping in it. It never felt as "homey" as the TT does for me.

If I was spending a lot of time in my RV, I'd prefer not having the expense and hassle of 2 drive trains to maintain, one of which requires a specially equipped shop even to do oil changes. The downside of my preference is that I don't have a small vehicle for sightseeing when I'm camping, but since I enjoy driving my F-150 as my daily driver, that's something I can live with. Certainly there are areas where I'd love to have a Jeep for back country exploring, but I manage to get by.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #12

daveand2sofa: "I have also been told that anything less than 40ft I will feel the walls closing in on me after a bit (but I suspect he just wanted to sell a large class A). I like the general idea of a driving RV so my dogs will be comfy rather than riding in a pickup when I travel but if pulling a trailer in a nice pickup is a better choice I have no problem going that way."

Dave, I am in a 2015 26.5 rks with 2 big dogs and we don't feel cramped at all. (I'll admit it's a different story when grandkids visit but that has only happened twice so far and only for one day/night so we managed).

Regarding the dogs comfort, I had never thought about how much more comfortable they might be in a MH. So, I've thought about it now and decided they probably wouldn't be any more comfortable then I've made it for them in the truck (I fold down the rear seat and lay thick blankets so they have a nice fairly big area/bench to ride on). What might matter though is ease in getting in and out of the back. Mocha May is getting older and sometimes needs a little help jumping up into the back (I do have a ramp for her but its kind of a pain). MH steps would be easier for her. Funny to think of making big decisions like that based on the dogs but they are important to us, aren't they)
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #13

I did NOT type daveand2sofa - darn rv gremlins )
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveand2dogs View Post
I'm trying to make the best choice the first time because I've learned about how fast these depreciate once you buy it and I don't want to be rethinking and upgrading in a year or 2.
I would buy used for my first RV; you don't know what you don't know when it comes to driving and living in an RV until you do it. There is a good chance you could be changing rigs in 6-12 months.

Also, I would checkout YouTube; there are a lot of channels of people doing exactly what you are planning. Watch their videos for an enormous amount of insight.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #15

Dave,
I've been full-timing with my one medium-sized dog in an Eagle 266RKS travel trailer for 2-1/2 years now, and couldn't be happier with my choice of rig & TV. I've often said " you can either drive your car/truck and tow your house, or you can drive your house and tow your car/truck". The decision is yours, based on YOUR needs. For me, I needed a truck for hauling my hunting and fishing gear, and getting it to where I wanted to use it. That precluded taking up so much truck-bed space with a 5'er hitch. Also, I didn't want to have to climb stairs every time I needed to go to the john. Since I'm not automotively inclined, I didn't want to worry about maintaining two drive trains. What's more, I didn't want to listen to pots & pans and cooktops clattering as I drove down the road. Finally, finances were a concern to me. A motor home + toad is the most expensive option to purchase, insure & maintain; HD truck + 5th wheel is second; LD truck + travel trailer is least expensive.

After deciding on the truck & trailer combo, I spent about 2 years looking at options. As MzLiz mentioned, clothes storage is very important for a full-timer. I might add plenty of countertop space is a must! You want to be able to leave your coffee maker, toaster & can opener out and still have enough countertop space to make lunch/dinner, and do dishes.

You're smart to do as much research and "soul searching" as you can before you buy. You may avoid a very costly mistake down the road!

Most important of all: ENJOY YOUR SEARCH!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #16

Hey Dave! We are also not full-timers. I retired late '16 and as a prep we've owned 2 trailers, the first was a modest but very comfy 23' HTT. After 2 years we decided to upgrade to a 5er which we aquired in '14. As part of the upgrade we bought the diesel F350 to pull with. The 5er is 39', a rear living with 2 slides in the back and a 3rd in the bedroom. Open it is surprisingly roomy. We decided against a MH early on. My thinking says it's a large expensive engine/drive train that exists only to push my house around and I'll need another vehicle to fetch groceries and see the sights once I get to the CG which I can tow or rent. If I tow that's a 2nd motor vehicle to maintain. That plus the loss of living space due to the cab convinced me I wanted to pull the house with my grocery-getter. My opinion is a MH has quite a bit of storage, a 5er has less but ours has a spacious basement and I think a bumper-pull coming in last with storage.
Many will argue my analysis results are flawed but it works for me.
My last recommendation is to be as self sufficient as possible when it comes to maint, mods and repair. The campers that "can't" seem to be less happy with the lifestyle than those that "can". These things are like boats and airplanes, always in need of maint, keep up with it and you'll have many good days.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote