Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #21

Perhaps even more important than all of the other truck variables is the REAR AXLE RATIO. This is a number that most people don't know, but really need to know. On Fords, there is a label on the drivers door jam, look for the word AXLE. Below that should be a code, such as H9, 3.55 on an F150. https://www.fordf150.net/howto/decode.php
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #22

Does the adapter have a weight limit? That would be my only concern.
When I pulled a kayak trailer with my previous SUV, I bought a “2 in 1” adapter so I could hook up my bike rack and trailer at the same time. I thought about using that 2 to 1 adapter for my TT to add some space between my truck & TT. because when I do sharp turns the TT barely hits the rear of my truck. Unfortunately the adapter has a 5,000 lb limit so I haven’t tried to use it.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #23

Great looking truck.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Does the adapter have a weight limit? That would be my only concern.
When I pulled a kayak trailer with my previous SUV, I bought a “2 in 1” adapter so I could hook up my bike rack and trailer at the same time. I thought about using that 2 to 1 adapter for my TT to add some space between my truck & TT. because when I do sharp turns the TT barely hits the rear of my truck. Unfortunately the adapter has a 5,000 lb limit so I haven’t tried to use it.
I don't see the adapter having any kind of weight limit. It's actually just a reducer - a square pipe that's 2 1/2" outside and 2" inside with the hole drilled for the pin. It just slides into the truck receiver and the ball mount then slides into it.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #25

The ford adapters are rated to the same as the hitch. They are solid steel and transmit all forces efficiently to the hitch structure. No issues.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #26
Site Team

I don't think the 2 into 1 adapter you have is rated for a larger trailer than a small utility one. You're not going to be happy if it breaks, and damage is done. I think you're describing a different animal than the reducer for the hitch. Another possible solution is a longer shank for the ball mount. That may put the TT a little farther back.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote