Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

New trailer on the way....need some accessory recommendations.

Couple things I would like to get.

Back up camera. My truck has the camera to make hitching up easy but I would like to put a camera on the back of the trailer to aid in backing it in and to see traffic behind me.

Also would like another camera on the front of the trailer watching the connection to the truck. Wireless would be preferred. What are you guys using?

Also, what brake controller do you guys prefer? I have a 2008 Escalade EXT, it has the factory tow package and wiring in place for the controller.

Keep in mind I am not new to towing, I have a big boat and have been towing large boats my entire driving life. I'm just new to towing a travel trailer and I'm a little OCD and like to know everything going on at all times.
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #2

Not sure on the camera. Can't say I have heard of others wanting a second faker for hitching besides the truck cam, but an interesting though. I did just buy a Peak 4.3" wireless digital cam set up. Not installed yet so no idea how it will do yet. It does have a 2 camera capability, but not sure where or if you can just buy the camera without the monitor.

The Prodigy P2 and P3 are highly regarded for brake controller choices. I was going to buy a P2, but we got a "free truck" when we went with the factory brake controller when we bought our HD.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #3

Thanks...

The 2nd hitch cam would not be for hitching, it would be so I can monitor the connection while driving. Make sure nothing is dragging, etc.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
The Prodigy P2 and P3 are highly regarded for brake controller choices. I was going to buy a P2, but we got a "free truck" when we went with the factory brake controller when we bought our HD.
LOL!! That's how I got my truck too!

OP, the Prodigy controllers are very highly regarded. I would go with the P3.

Can't speak to the cameras; the only one I have is in my tailgate (it was part of the "free truck" deal mentioned above) and it only works in reverse. I depend on a spotter and mirrors for everything else.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
Thanks...

The 2nd hitch cam would not be for hitching, it would be so I can monitor the connection while driving. Make sure nothing is dragging, etc.
YW!

Not a bad idea! Never considered that....

That was the reason I picked up the Peak cam system to be able to check on the bike rack while traveling down the road. May try it for backing into a site, but usually have my better half as a spotter so not sure I want to add the b/u monitor into the mix of another thing to watch. Once I figure out how I will install it I will go from there. If possible, I may put it inside the rear window (which would be almost centered) and just plug it in somewhere inside the trailer before each trip.

Bob,

Funny how that works, isn't it??? Lol At times I do wish we had the factory b/u cam also, by not willing to spend the money for the factory kit. Oh well, maybe the next truck will be ordered with the exact options we want....

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

If you want a great controller I suggest the Prodigy P3. I have had mine about a year and the voltage up/down buttons were sticking real bad this past weekend. Since it has a lifetime warranty I gave them a call this morning, the tech said fax me your receipt and I will get you a replacement in the mail today and please use the return label to ship the bad one back. Thats the way a warranty should work.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses. I have heard the Prodigy 3 mentioned before. I'll jump on Amazon and grab one.

Sundancer330, going by your username I assume you're a fellow boater as well?
Old 05-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #8

I had the prodigy P3 when I towed my TT and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Easy to set up. Easy to use.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I have heard the Prodigy 3 mentioned before. I'll jump on Amazon and grab one.

That's how I bought mine. Don't forget to see about a pigtail that will fit your vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

ScarabChris of The Hull Truth fame?

Welcome to JOF... A lot of good help and people here.

If your truck is new enough to have a Rear Camera does it not have a built in Brake Controller?

If not the P3 is a good one, I don't use mine anymore even though I still have it because I use the onboard controller on my F250 but the P3 woks great with a lot of options and adjustments.

Just checked out your other thread about the trailer your getting... Good choice... We considered the JayFeather 25BH but decided to step up a little in size.

The Caddy does not have a built in Brake Controller?
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #11

Quote:

Yes its hard to divide time between camping and boating. Last weekend was our first camping trip of the season, and we are headed to northern Lake Michigan to splash the boat this weekend to do some fishing, water temp is only 38 degrees so no swimming yet.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #12

We have a furrion back up camera on our trailer and really like it. It's very nice to see what's behind me when on the road and ours has a button to control a built in distance scale to estimate how close some one or something is. Good luck with everything.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #13

Going back to the original question, 2 x water hoses, water pressure regulator, leveling blocks, clear sewer elbow, surge protector, sewer hose support, cheap 18 v drill with socket for stabilizer jacks, 2nd sewer hose, vent cover and many more things. I love shopping for accessories. I don't always buy, but I like to shop just the same. I can explain items in more detail if something doesn't make sense.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
ScarabChris of The Hull Truth fame?

Welcome to JOF... A lot of good help and people here.

If your truck is new enough to have a Rear Camera does it not have a built in Brake Controller?

If not the P3 is a good one, I don't use mine anymore even though I still have it because I use the onboard controller on my F250 but the P3 woks great with a lot of options and adjustments.

Just checked out your other thread about the trailer your getting... Good choice... We considered the JayFeather 25BH but decided to step up a little in size.

The Caddy does not have a built in Brake Controller?
Yes that's me, I use the same user name on all forums. It has the wiring in place for the controller. I ordered the P3, it will be plug and play.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Yes its hard to divide time between camping and boating. Last weekend was our first camping trip of the season, and we are headed to northern Lake Michigan to splash the boat this weekend to do some fishing, water temp is only 38 degrees so no swimming yet.

I hear you, we were on the boat all day Sunday. We usually go out Saturday as well but last Saturday was spend buying a camper. LOL

I'm in Ft Lauderdale and have my boat docked right out back so it's very easy to jump on and go at any time. Sometimes we go out to dinner or lunch by boat.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm in Ft Lauderdale and have my boat docked right out back so it's very easy to jump on and go at any time. Sometimes we go out to dinner or lunch by boat.
You suck!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
You suck!
Sorry.....
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo 2.JPG   CIMG4213.JPG  
Old 05-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #18

I have to talk the wife into Florida. Tried for years. She says its heavens waiting gate. If so, what is OK? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Sorry.....
Seriously, now you're just gloating.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote