Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #1

Newbie Looking for Some Advice About Water Damage

Hello. I am looking to purchase my first RV and have found a 2004 Jayco Jay Feather 25G that fits what I need for my family. My major concern is that there was a water leak around the A/C last winter. The seal has been replaced, but the ceiling is rippled in the trailer.

My questions for the community are:

How hard is it to repair a leak from around the A/C? Is this leak likely to recur?

How hard is it to repair the interior ceiling? Should I be concerned about mold? If so, how can I make sure it doesn't become an issue?

What do you think a trailer in good shape with this one problem is worth?

Thanks for your help!
JJSinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Site Team

Repairing the leak is not the big problem. Fixing the damage it did IS. We had a 33' Fleetwood TT that sat permanently for ten years, the vibration rom the AC loosened the bolts enough to start a leak not visible inside, no one ever explained to check them periodically. The roof plywood rotted from the AC to the edge of the roof under the rubber. MAJOR repair. If you see water damage on the inside, check the roof on the outside for sponginess. Only my .02 worth, but I would walk away. There are tons of units for sale in better shape. As far as it's worth, I really can't say. Sorry.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

If the gasket has been replaced and compressed properly, there should be no issues until the A/C unit is whacked against a garage opening (or similar disaster).

As long as things stay dry and there is no mold now, you won't have mold any time soon. Though condensation when using the heat on cool, humid nights will have to be watched.

I lived with a water stained ceiling in my last trailer for 6 years. But, I suppose yours is more than just 'stained'.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #4

Jason Check your other thread I posed some links for you to check
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Myself, I'd steer clear and keep looking for another rv. jm2c
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would check for signs of leaks beyond the A/C area. In 2004 there were a number of Jayco models (my 2005 Eagle was also effected) that had a moisture penetration problem that originated along the roof/sidewall(s) joints.

Moisture would get trapped behind the drip rail and find it's way into the joint via the drip rail screws. Once the moisture got in contact with the fleece backing of the TPO roofing material, it would wick the moisture over the wood structure....., the rest is history.

Check for any signs of exterior Filon (fiberglas) surface delimitation, and any "dimples" and/or dark stains on the surface of the interior walls/ceiling.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Oddly enough early spring when I was looking for a used camper, I looked at a camper almost exactly like what you are saying. Like down to the year. 2004 Jayco 25G leaked around the A/C with damage in the ceiling and down the walls.

The one I looked at had some bad damage. They said the leak was fixed and it was just some wrippling and cosmetic stuff... but when you really got in there, the ceiling was still wet to the touch underneth the outside paper up in there. I climbed a ladder and the roof was sagging from the damaged wood and the weight of the A/C.

For me it was too much damage. I was OK doing some stuff that would be cosmetic type repairs. But it became obvious very quickly that this unit had some serious damage, and it was going to require replacing at least parts of the entire roof. And I wasn't messing with that for a second.

buddybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

I know it has been a while since this answer, However I have the same trailer as you. It has been parked for a couple of years and I finally am getting to it. I have found evidence of leaks around the perimeter of the inside. How did you remedy the situation? I Would love to fix it my self but do I need pro help?
Thanks in advance
Bull
Bullallen1 is offline   Reply With Quote