Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Newbie question*closing the deal

we are heading up this Friday to purchase our first TT Jayco 212QBW.
is it appropriate to ask on this forum what kind of accessories should come standard with our unit, and which ones we should bargain for in the process ?? not real sure what questions to ask ? any help appreciated.
just don't want to be a sucker !
thanks
troutcamper
troutcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
BCK

You can negotiate for whatever you want. Worst they can say is no and even if they meet you part way then you’re ahead.

Our 2016 came with the following (in addition to what was listed on the unit’s equipment list)
30-15A plug adapter
20ft sewer hose
Battery & Box
Stabilizer jack crank handle
Power tongue crank handle
Manuals and warranty cards for everything
Tank deodorizer tablets
*No extra fees of any kind
*Got the dealer to throw in a new equalizer hitch at no cost when we signed
*Got a 15ft dominator sewer hose kit c/w fittings and clear elbow at 1/2 price

Seems to me there may have been few other trinkets but can’t think of them just now.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Many dealers will give you a "starter kit'' with items mentioned by BCK and possibly a few more. You can try to get them to throw in additional items to sweeten the deal.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

Don't forget full propane tanks, and the battery & battery box as well. Every rv I have purchased has come with those as well.
wallacemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

We negotiated a credit in the dealer's RV supply store and had them agree to add a slide topper before we signed. Our dealer fills the gas and LP tanks anyway so we did not have to haggle over those. Good luck.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

Before getting too excited about negotiated extras, realize that most things that they give you will be of the lowest quality. I'm talking about sewer hoses, pressure regulators, batteries, etc. Many of these things you will end up replacing before long, so don't think of them as getting something. Even the battery they give you won't be the best.

I'm not saying don't do it, but just consider what you are getting, and don't get too excited. My dealer offered me 50% off in the accessories store on the day of pickup as well as the usual box of goodies I probably won't use because I already had better stuff from my last trailer.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

Big Items

This is your best opportunity to negotiate deals on some big items that they have high mark-ups on... Your weight distributing hitch and slide toppers are two items which you should be able get significant savings on and add value to your purchase. Others might have suggestions for similar high value items.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #8

I had everything I needed when I bought my Jayco so I didn't negotiate any add-ons. My buddy had nothing so he specified a bunch of stuff, particularly things that needed installed, and felt it was a good value. Consider having a quality surge protector hardwired in.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #9

I just bought a brand new Jay Feather 25BH. The only things it came with were the battery and battery box and full propane tanks. I wasn't going to try and haggle other things in the deal because they gave me a very nice discount on the rig.

I ended up spending an extra $400 in their parts store for the other stuff when I took delivery...

30 amp extension cord
Best sewer hose on the market
wheel chocks
stacking jack pads
water hose
water hose filter
water pressure regulator
mud dobber screens for the fridge, furnace and water heater vents

Couple other items I can't remember...
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #10

As others have stated most dealers will toss in some sort of starter kit that includes a sewer hose, a water pressure regulator, a water hose , some black tank chems and toilet paper. The value of this is trivial and I wouldn't get to excited about it either way.

During your purchase process it's a good time to add some of the larger ticket items that you may want. Things I consider as must haves are slide toppers and a high quality weight distributing hitch (I prefer the Equalizer 4-way system) with integrated sway control. If your TV does not have a brake controller and wiring this is a good time to get that bundled in the deal as you must have this. It's been many years since I looked at brake controllers but at the time I last purchased prodigy was a good product. There may be better one's now. A
A nice convenience item is a power tounge jack if your unit is not equipped with one. (Not terribly expensive to do later and a very simple install).
You will also need some way to level your trailer, many people just use pieces of 2x6, but a couple of package of the lego type levelling blocks is a nice thing to have. Another item I like is the X-chocks that go between the wheels of the trailer to lock the wheels together. It works better than blocking the wheels and helps stabilize the trailer. If your unit doesn't have power stabilizing jacks that's another item you may like to negotiate into your deal if you don't like cranking. (I use a socket on a drill, but always wish I'd just gotten the power stabilizers). A nice patio mat is something that is always nice to have.
Make sure you have power adapters to be able to plug a 30 amp into a 15 amp circuit so you can plug in at home, and a properly gauged extension cord.

Also, many RV dealers have arrangements with campgrounds to get new owners a couple of free nights or a reduced rate. Ask about that as well.

Buying a new RV is exciting and should be fun. Realize that there will likely be some small things that need fixed. It's good to take a small toolkit along when you go camping as many of these items are simple and easily done if you have some basic tools with you. It's unfortunate, but is what it is.

I'm sure there are lots more suggestions and things I've forgotten as well. Have fun and congratulations on the new trailer. I hope all goes well.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #11

Wow ! thanks for all the great info. I do feel much better prepared to negotiate now, and will do some homework on the mentioned items tonight. Many things I had not thought as a rookie. It is extremely hard to not be excited. we have been looking forward to this adventure for some time now!
troutcamper
troutcamper is offline   Reply With Quote